User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New5thwheelers

Question Does your Air Conditioner take too long to cool RV

The outside high temp was approx 95 degrees and we have 2 air conditioners that could not keep up. It took approx 4 hours (daytime) to cool interior. We had both set on 69 degrees and it would not get below 73 degrees inside. Does this mean something is wrong with our A/C? Also, our bedroom A/C will cut off for a couple of seconds and then cuts back on. It continues to do this all day and night long. Anyone else have this problem?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest you take the inside cover off and ensure that the divider is sealed up so that the cold air is not going straight to the air return side. Also make sure that the cut outs to the ducts are fully open and sealed to prevent the air from leaking into the roof.
    2015 F350 CC 4x4 KR High Capacity Tow Package
    2014 Momentum 355TH #770
    2014 Yamaha Adventurer 2+2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing, besides the divider between the cool air and the return air is a clean filter. It doesn't take much on that filter to impact the ability of the AC to cool.
    Ralph and Sheri Mutchler
    Reflection 303
    Snook, TX

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing how we keep "discovering" the same things .
    Check out this thread from several months ago . . .
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ghlight=filter

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We open the dump in the lounge and use a tower fan to help cool, heat index 117 and comfortable indoors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	2751
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Official home, NW Missouri. In Solitude mostly now
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by New5thwheelers View Post
    The outside high temp was approx 95 degrees and we have 2 air conditioners that could not keep up. It took approx 4 hours (daytime) to cool interior. We had both set on 69 degrees and it would not get below 73 degrees inside. Does this mean something is wrong with our A/C? Also, our bedroom A/C will cut off for a couple of seconds and then cuts back on. It continues to do this all day and night long. Anyone else have this problem?
    If you are sitting in full sun, I can believe this. If you are in the shade, it should be cooler. Remember these rigs do not have very thick walls and even less at slide rooms and such, it takes alot of AC to keep it cool in 90 plus heat for sure if you are in full sun.
    2015 RAM Cummins B&W Companion Slider

2015 Solitude 365DEN

Anthony, Amanda, and their 2 munchkins. Fulltiming.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ADIRKS30 View Post
    If you are sitting in full sun, I can believe this. If you are in the shade, it should be cooler. Remember these rigs do not have very thick walls and even less at slide rooms and such, it takes alot of AC to keep it cool in 90 plus heat for sure if you are in full sun.
    Absolutely right on all points ! We learned that we had to get the AC going well before it began to feel warm in the trailer. So, mid-morning while the trailer was still comfortable, we would start up the AC so that late afternoon would still be comfortable.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Papa Smurf
    You don't say which model Solitude model you have, but I can tell you a 369RL on 100 degree day, in direct sunlight (could not buy an ounce of shade), will only cool to about 75 degrees inside. I have a brother in the A/C business, and he says anything greater than 20 cooler than the outside temp is icing on the cake. So I take my 25 degree drop and keep quite.

Here is a little trick I have learned on the last couple of 100 degree outings... Put a good fan in the bedroom doorway, blowing towards the living area downstairs. We use a big squirrel cage (blower) fan we purchased at Sam's several years ago. It moves huge volumes of air and it is really quite.

Our bedroom air does not cycle as you have explained, but I did quickly notice that with both set at the same temperature, the bedroom A/C does most of the non-hottest part of the day cooling in our unit. If I want the living room unit to carry more of the load, I have to set it 3 degrees cooler than the bedroom air.

I think it is the shear volume of the rear room that makes it so hard to cool. I have a friend with the exact same floor plan in a Winnebago brand RV and they have the exact same cooling issues. So I am sure it is volume, not your A/C unit.

I know I will be looking for better shaded sites in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I have to JUMP in here,,I am in the HVACR trade 30 years now,,,,,,,,I hear this darn thing about 20 less then outside,,,,,,NO WAY,,, it is the same in the S&B A/C units with fan on HIGH will and should give off 57-59 AIR it is the same in a S&B ,,,,I hear this only 20 deg cooler then outside,,,so if in a S&B the outside temp is 100 then all you can get inside is 80 that is so wrong,,This is our 379FL 2 A/Cs going in full sun ,,,,,,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5906.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	2761 sorry it is sideways
    Nelson & Susan
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    FT @ Orange Grove RV Park
    2015 GD379FL Solitude
    We Pull with 2016 RAM 3500 DRW, 4x4, 6.7 Cummins
    We are FTing and FT Work we have a few more years till we can travel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Polarbear. I'm not in the A/C trade, but have a friend who is and for many years has told me if your A/C is dropping the temperature at the return duct across the coil to the output ducts by 18 to 22 degrees the A/C is working. So put a thermometer at the return and measure the temp then stick it in an output duct and see what the drop is. If the drop across the A/C is right. than your got hot air getting in somewhere whether it be lack of insulation, single pane windows etc. If the drop is not right, you have an A/C problem or hot air is leaking into the duct work. Let's be real, an RV is a box sitting in the sun. When you get off the road and the unit is 90 degrees on the inside and 97 degrees outside, it will take a while to cool down. We have found the first day after getting off the road it takes some time to cool down, but the next day the unit is able to maintain the temperatures.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast