User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carried my Canon 80D and all the lenses last year and never used it. iPhone has been doing well. Wife tries those impromptu photos throughs the windshield while moving with her camera (Nikon Coolpix P1000 - or something like that), and it is just as inconvenient for quick grabs.

If I wanted just a point-and-shoot I'd be in the rangefinder category - one you just point and click. It might limit creativeness & such but it would be fine for those quick shots - as long as she keeps it ready and on her lap.

Binoculars - it really depends on what you intend to do with them - hike, stationary, tripod mount, etc. Decided that then decide..... I've had a pair of Nikon zoom binoculars for a long time. They are heavy but get the job done for special occasions (not for carrying daily). We also carry a small pair compact pair with us when hiking; something in the 8x42 category.

The next time I would just get a nice monocular for hiking & such. Light, easier &, I think quicker to focus and zoom.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    ... If I wanted just a point-and-shoot I'd be in the rangefinder category - one you just point and click.
    Hmmm... with a rangefinder you have to look through a small viewfinder and focus the lens system until the top and bottom halves of your subject line up. That's a lot slower than a modern autofocus digital camera (and digital rangefinders are running between $800 and $8,000!) I used a 35mm rangefinder (along with a 2-1/4 x 3-1/2 medium format folding camera) for a while in the '60s before I got my first 35mm SLR.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Hi Marcy,
    I'm getting invalid attachment for the first pic.
    Fixed.. I hope
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Looking for any recommendations on portable binoculars and a point and shoot camera for DW. She was very frustrated with the lag in the camera in her phone and would really have liked a small binocular on this season's trips.
    TIA
    I used to have a really great Panasonic point and shoot. I keep my camera on a wrist loop at all times, so I'm ready for quick shots. The Panasonic I could hit the "on" button and the button to actually take the picture at the same time and get what I was (more or less) aiming at.

I now have a Lumix, because I needed a waterproof point and shoot. It works great, also, and it has sports mode as well as one for taking pictures through windows (like from the truck while traveling).

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Binoculars: We use Athlon Optics Midas ED

These are reviewed in Wirecutter (New York Times)
    https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...st-binoculars/

We have had them for a few years now and use them for a mix of Birding and Larger Fauna. These are ones that usually ride in the door-pocket of the truck. Better, clarity and brightness in dim light than our older, cheaper, Nikon and Bushnell.

Point and Shoot: I have Canon M200 mirrorless for snapshots. Very light and small. Many, many options in this category. You may need to read a few reviews (again, in wire cutter, for example) and decide what fits your needs and wants. The M200 has interchangeable lenses, this may be a no-no for you.
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And another point I forgot to mention:
    The compact mirrorless cameras come with and without RANGEFINDERS.

The Canon M200 does not have a rangefinder. One must look at the screen on the back of the camera. This can be an issue in bright light, such as if the sun is hitting the screen. Then it can seem dark. A rangefinder does not have this shortcoming, but rangefinders can be a bit "approximate" in framing the image in some focal length and distance-to-object situations.
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am starting to remind myself of Monty Python skits

And another point: Above I mentioned rangefinders. They come as Optical and Electronic. The electronic rangefinder will correctly show the framing of the image in all situations. They also come at a cost premium.
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I recommend Vortex binoculars. Not the cheapest, but excellent quality.

For digital cameras, what kind of photography is she looking to shoot? Landscapes, close-ups, wildlife, etc.? It will depend on the type of photos she is looking to capture.

Most inexpensive, brand name, digital, point and shoot cameras should do okay.
    I second the suggestion on Vortex. They have several models depending on what price you are looking at. For the last 2 years Bass Pro has had the Vortex Viper 10X50 on sale for half price on black Friday. Might happen again. I've compared mine to much higher priced glass and I'm well pleased.
    Last edited by dryfly; 11-02-2022 at 06:54 PM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I have a relatively new iPhone, so can't comment about the android phones, but my experience has been that the phone camera is SO good that it is VERY rare for me to take out my Nikon DSLR. I have never seen a lag that was more than on my DSLR; it may be worth doing a youtube video and going through the settings on your phone.

Huge advantage with the phone is that I always have it in my pocket. I really don't want to carry a camera too.
    This is basically what we do now also.

Our iPhone 12 Pros have a 2x optical lens which does a pretty good job. And the phones are usually with us….can’t take pictures if the camera is left at home. I have a nice older Canon SX Power Shot (that I also use underwater with a housing), but I think the IPhone does just about as good. We took the SX on our last trip and never used it.

I sometimes carry an older Canon Rebel with a 75-300 mm lens if we expect to see game on hikes and keep it in the truck while traveling.
    Last edited by MtnGuy; 11-02-2022 at 05:31 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Canon guy. My R5 and choice of lens' works well for me. However, my wife is a different story. She also wanted a point and shoot. Something small and lightweight. She likes to use it for travel photography and wildlife. For wildlife, you need a lens with some reach. We found the Sony RX 100 VII. It has a very respectable 24-200mm lens length for what she wants to do. The image quality is extremely good. I would suggest that you look up the specs to see if that is what you want. I would also suggest that she hold one in her hands before buying to make sure that she is comfortable with the ergonomics.
    john and betty
    2019 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axle ratio
    2020 GD Solitude 310GK
    "Wherever you go, there you are" -Buckaroo Banzai

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast