User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DW wants binoculars and point and shoot camera

Looking for any recommendations on portable binoculars and a point and shoot camera for DW. She was very frustrated with the lag in the camera in her phone and would really have liked a small binocular on this season's trips.
    TIA
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Looking for any recommendations on portable binoculars and a point and shoot camera for DW. She was very frustrated with the lag in the camera in her phone and would really have liked a small binocular on this season's trips.
    TIA
    I recommend Vortex binoculars. Not the cheapest, but excellent quality.

For digital cameras, what kind of photography is she looking to shoot? Landscapes, close-ups, wildlife, etc.? It will depend on the type of photos she is looking to capture.

Most inexpensive, brand name, digital, point and shoot cameras should do okay.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother got a new Iphone and my daughter the new Samsung phone and I have to admit, the picture they take is WOW.
    We got a set of Bushnell binoculars at Cabelas a few years ago. I'd have to check the model. They're not the real compact ones (maybe a size larger) and we love them. Easy to carry around and didn't break the bank. Image quality is good.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I recommend Vortex binoculars. Not the cheapest, but excellent quality.

For digital cameras, what kind of photography is she looking to shoot? Landscapes, close-ups, wildlife, etc.? It will depend on the type of photos she is looking to capture.

Most inexpensive, brand name, digital, point and shoot cameras should do okay.
    Mostly landscape/wildlife. This kind of started with her trying to take a quick snap of a Dollywood sign/billboard that she was trying to send to a friend as a joke out the truck window and the camera continually refocusing and delaying so that she never got anything. Then continued with bird and wildlife shots at Custer and same issue with new phone's camera.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    My brother got a new Iphone and my daughter the new Samsung phone and I have to admit, the picture they take is WOW.
    We got a set of Bushnell binoculars at Cabelas a few years ago. I'd have to check the model. They're not the real compact ones (maybe a size larger) and we love them. Easy to carry around and didn't break the bank. Image quality is good.
    She had an older Galaxy but upgraded finally to the new Galaxy and it does take great pictures - maybe we just don't have the settings correct because it still delays the shot but it also fails to respond to some key presses on the screen. For landscapes, not so much of a problem but when the wildlife is moving or will fly away it seems to continually refocus and delay more.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Landscape and wildlife require different things. For landscape, a good quality point-and-shoot with a highly rated sensor (Canon, Nikon, etc.) will do nicely. It's difficult to get a long enough shot on a point-and-shoot without getting into digital zoom which really degrades the quality of the image. For good wildlife shots, A DSLR or mirrorless camera with at least a 200 mm, fast lens is best - but that is an expensive and heavy setup (just sold off the last of my professional kit; the full-frame body, three high-end lenses, an extender for the telephoto, and one flash weighed about 35 lbs. in the backpack). I have a Canon G7X "professional" point-and-shoot that I use now for those shots that are important to me... but mostly I use my Samsung Galaxy S10 for everyday shots.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Landscape and wildlife require different things. For landscape, a good quality point-and-shoot with a highly rated sensor (Canon, Nikon, etc.) will do nicely.... but mostly I use my Samsung Galaxy S10 for everyday shots.

Rob
    TY. I also use my Galaxy but DW would like a lightweight point and shoot that responds to a press. I'm not sure how much she will zoom in on wildlife. We have had some difficulty with the newer Galaxy phones having to press multiple times just to get one shot and winding up with burst shots - probably due to the screen protector and pressure settings being incorrect.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For bird shots on the phone or even on my mid range Canon SX (newer models have greater zoom levels) I use the sports mode because you just can't predict if the bird or other animal may move. Also playing with the phones pro mode can get great results if you have time to play with the settings.

phone shot Note 10+ using pro mode

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221018_130544.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	43668

Canon SX50 (older model) in sports

Name:	IMG_3885crop.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	43667
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 11-02-2022 at 02:44 PM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

phone shot Note 10+ using pro mode
    Attachment 43666

Canon SX50 (older model) in sports mode

Name:	IMG_3885crop.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	43667
    Hi Marcy,
    I'm getting invalid attachment for the first pic.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a relatively new iPhone, so can't comment about the android phones, but my experience has been that the phone camera is SO good that it is VERY rare for me to take out my Nikon DSLR. I have never seen a lag that was more than on my DSLR; it may be worth doing a youtube video and going through the settings on your phone.

Huge advantage with the phone is that I always have it in my pocket. I really don't want to carry a camera too.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast