User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    C130TN

385TH Pin Weight and Tow Vehicles

I have a question for those of you towing the 385TH with a Ford F-450 or even an F-350 DRW. Did you need to get air bags? I have a 2015 F-450 and currently towing a Fuzion but think I have it sold, assuming the deal goes through this week. I'm interested in a couple of the Momentum's but just wondering how the pin weight is on the 385TH. I know the listed weight, just wondering if air bags are needed on the DRW trucks. I hated my air bags on my F250 so prefer to avoid them if possible but it's also not a determining factor for our toy hauler purchase. I'm not worried about the total weight, just the pin weight.

We like both the 388 and the 385TH but both have things we dislike and so far we haven't decided on which we prefer the most. I prefer to buy used but can't find any 388's anywhere and very few 385TH's. There are a few 2014 355TH's but I've never seen one in person. Guess we have due decisions to make and figure out our priorities.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for clarification, are you looking at used 380 and 385TH with 2 axles or 3 as they changed to 3 axles mid year 2015. All the 355TH are 2 axles as they haven't built any more since mid year 2015. I think the 388M have only been around for a year therefore few used units. The 3 axles unit have lower pin weights than the same same floorplan with 2 axles.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

C130TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Monica View Post
    Just for clarification, are you looking at used 380 and 385TH with 2 axles or 3 as they changed to 3 axles mid year 2015. All the 355TH are 2 axles as they haven't built any more since mid year 2015. I think the 388M have only been around for a year therefore few used units. The 3 axles unit have lower pin weights than the same same floorplan with 2 axles.

Dave
    Sorry, should have clarified but mostly interested in two axle pin weights but for those with experience with either I'd appreciate any feedback. Would you recommend one over the other and I didn't realize they switched to three axles mid year 2015. I knew the 2016's were three axle so thanks for letting me know. It just seems two axles are odd for a toy hauler this big but understand they are 8,000 pound axles but assume they think 3 is better since they switched.

Would it be worth it to choose a 2015 over a 2014, any big differences or upgrades? I'm not in a hurry as of right now, more interested in finding exactly what I want and it has to be in excellent condition, both inside and out. Problem around Texas is the toy haulers are popular in the oil fields and they get trashed. There's a 385TH locally at a dealer but it's in pretty bad shape.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an 2015 F350 and the 3 axle 2015 385TH.

You will not NEED air bags. I put air bags on mine because I wanted the truck to ride at a nearly empty ride height. The top end of the 2015 F350 suspension is fairly soft for a nice ride while empty so it lowers 3-4" when loaded with the 385. The air bags just bring it back up to the ride height I like.

The triple axle came into being in mid year MODEL YEAR 2015 so build dates of mid-late 2014 and on.

When I am fully loaded I am at 20,200 lbs. total trailer weight and 17,200 lbs. on the axles (2600 lbs. car in garage and very little fresh water) so pin weight in that configuration is only 3,000 lbs. When I have the RZR loaded (1,600 lbs.) with full fresh water tank (desert camping) the pin weight is about 3,600 lbs.

I am at a loss as to how the double axle units can be within axle load ratings with just two 8,000 lbs. axles when I am at 17,200 lbs. just on the axles, on what I believe to be identical units otherwise. It has been reported that GD says they changed for buyer expectation reasons, not actual loads but ?????? not sure how that can be. I am glad they had changed over by the time I came along since three 7,000 lbs. axles gives me some breathing room with 21,000 lbs. axle load rating.

I hope some of that helped, Good luck in your search
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    When I am fully loaded I am at 20,200 lbs. total trailer weight and 17,200 lbs. on the axles (2600 lbs. car in garage and very little fresh water) so pin weight in that configuration is only 3,000 lbs. When I have the RZR loaded (1,600 lbs.) with full fresh water tank (desert camping) the pin weight is about 3,600 lbs.

I am at a loss as to how the double axle units can be within axle load ratings with just two 8,000 lbs. axles when I am at 17,200 lbs. just on the axles, on what I believe to be identical units otherwise.
    You're seeing 17200# on your axles because you're 700# over the camper's GVWR and secondly because the 3 axle 385TH has lower pin therefore more weight is carried by the axles. I found some specs for a 2014 385TH 2 axle: GVWR 19500, dry weight 15600#, dry pin weight 3900#. The 2 axle 385TH also came with 215/75R17.5 LRH (16 ply) tires. You're probably right that in your example, you'd be overloading the axles if only 2 x 8000#.

C130TN...If you looking for some more info, try contacting Nate Goldenburg, Momentum Product Mgr at 574-825-8000 and I'm sure that he'll answer all your questions.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some real, measured numbers on our Ram 3500 and 2016 385TH at http://www.momentumgunner.com/towing_notes.html.

On a 5th wheel, you have a load that is carried by your truck (pin weight) and a load that is pulled by your truck (trailer axle weight). With a trailer rated at 19,500 pounds and 16,000 pounds of axles (on the 2 axle version) the pin weight was the rest of the weight. But most people don't understand that, so they went with 21,000 pounds of axles to make it easier for people to understand. Apparently some dealers had a hard time explaining it.

JCR GD is at 20,200 loaded on a trailer rated at 19500. While it's under the axle weight rating, it does exceed the trailer weight rating.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

C130TN
    I understand the weights and how they are distributed but also understand that a lot of the actual pin weights seem to be over advertised. But, how it's distributed has everything to do with it in the toy haulers. My problem is I don't have any heavy toys but that might be a good excuse to get a golf cart! We rented one recently and the kids loved it. The used Momentum market is pretty slim right now but hopefully it'll pick up some in the next few months. I may buy new but prefer to buy used on RV's but only if they are in excellent condition and stored inside. Probably a hard combination since they haven't been around for too long and owners seem pretty happy.

scott42blue
    You will be fine with no airbags. F-450 will tow it fine. Main reason to run 3 axles is you can run cheaper tires. Tires have advanced a lot over the last several years . Get some Michelin 17.5 or Goodyear's. You will not see many 17.5 on RVs they cost a lot. I would wait until after December to buy if possible. The magic of new RV fades and payment book hits many people.
    Scott