User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How soon is spring, in BC and Alaska

We are planning for Alaska , We spent a month there 20 years ago so we are overdue. Now that we are retired we want to spend as long as we can. The last few years we've done 3 month, 5-8K mile trips.

How soon can we (reasonably) start? We live in Washington so mountain travel isn't anything new. Some snow is no big deal, but not too much fun either. Hiking and camping in the snow has a limited appeal The Canadian Rockies are not to be trifled with. We'll do Jasper & Banff on the way south.

So use the Cassiar, 97 to 37? Or go east to I-15 and up through Edmonton?

When do BC and Yukon campgrounds open? As we go north it's almost like going back in time, so when does Anchorage and the Kenai start up?
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d stick to hwy 37 and avoid the prairies, better scenery. June time frame should be good, any earlier and you risk getting caught in a west coast spring storm which I’m sure you are familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    We are planning for Alaska , We spent a month there 20 years ago so we are overdue. Now that we are retired we want to spend as long as we can. The last few years we've done 3 month, 5-8K mile trips.

How soon can we (reasonably) start? We live in Washington so mountain travel isn't anything new. Some snow is no big deal, but not too much fun either. Hiking and camping in the snow has a limited appeal The Canadian Rockies are not to be trifled with. We'll do Jasper & Banff on the way south.

So use the Cassiar, 97 to 37? Or go east to I-15 and up through Edmonton?

When do BC and Yukon campgrounds open? As we go north it's almost like going back in time, so when does Anchorage and the Kenai start up?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year we entered Canada on May 23rd in Sweetgrass. Took a left at Calgary and headed straight to Banff NP. Stayed three nights at Tunnel Mountain and then took parkway to Jasper where we stayed three more nights. Arrived in Alaska on June 9th. It was wonderful. Lake Moraine and Louis was still frozen but we hit it on the way back in middle of Aug. I liked this as the weather was dry and the animals were hungry after the winter. Next time we plan on leaving about 6 weeks later so we can get the fall colors in Alaska and the Yukon. PM me if you have any questions.
    Last edited by Homeby5; 11-20-2022 at 12:33 PM.