User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Panel Not Keeping Battery Charged

We have a 2021 Transcend 245RL. We are having an issue with our battery staying charged when TT is not in use. We had battery disconnect key in - dead battery. Dealer told us to take key out when TT was not in use. We took the key out and went to the lot today and our battery is dead. The battery was fully charged 1 week ago. Our fridge, radio, lights, and tv are turned off. I understand that some items will still draw power. Our TT sits in full sun. Any suggestions?
    Chris and Steve
    First time TT owners
    2021 Transcend 245RL
    2021 Chevrolet Silverado 2500

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper2021 View Post
    We have a 2021 Transcend 245RL. We are having an issue with our battery staying charged when TT is not in use. We had battery disconnect key in - dead battery. Dealer told us to take key out when TT was not in use. We took the key out and went to the lot today and our battery is dead. The battery was fully charged 1 week ago. Our fridge, radio, lights, and tv are turned off. I understand that some items will still draw power. Our TT sits in full sun. Any suggestions?
    It would help to know what type of battery we're talking about. Many coaches come with a stock lead-acid battery with a 100 Ah or less capacity. Is that what you have? You mentioned that your battery has been dead, perhaps more than once. If so it may have suffered permanent damage making it difficult to hold a charge. And yes, there are so-called parasitic draws on the battery that persist even when the battery key is removed. Do you have a multimeter that you can use to test voltage at various points? You'd want to test the battery after being charged and then disconnected from the coach to see what its steady state is. I'd also want to see what type of voltage flow you're getting at the battery with the key out but the solar operating.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper2021 View Post
    First the disconnect switch must be installed and turned so it can't be pulled straight out. Then look at the Jaboni charge controller and make sure it's actually getting voltage from the solar panels. (I'm sorry that I can't help you there as I don't have one.). Next, with a multimeter, check the output of the charge controller, at the charge controller; it should be at least 13vdc, possibly more. Then check the output at the battery, it should match the measurement of the charge controller output. If not, look for a fuse somewhere along the line and check it. If you have good voltage at the battery from the charge controller, it's likely possible that the battery is shot.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the solar charger?

I, too, have not really noticed the batteries as we have been plugged in to 50amp and have not boondocked. I did have the dealership replace the regular batteries with two Battleborn Lithium and they run the refrigerator well but again we have never boondocked. Since it was and still is new to us before we got our truck in a year ago, we would go out to where we store it and hang out and have lunch dinner, what tv etc. I have a Jamboni charger and solar a panel. I ordered our 310GK from GD with the solar package but have been uncertain if a setting or something has to be done to it with the Lithium batteries. Unfortunately, our local GD dealership is not one of the good ones in terms of technical help. Nice but not real savvy with looking at potential problems and how to solve them. There is a solar app you can download, and I have recently done this. I don't think the charging is happening as there is a red light with two green light indicators that are always on. I suspect the dealership did something incorrectly when they installed the Lithium batteries.
    I just need to call Jamboni to see why the one red light is constantly on. Even when is direct sunlight the light that seems to be the solar panel indicator stays red. Dealership said, "well they are all different, we've seen blue and red, and they are charging". So, they didn't really know, and it felt like the blind leading the blind. I believe there might be a setting that needs to reset on the Jamboni to indicate these are Lithium, but I really don't know.