Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crossing Mobile Bay

I am looking to cross Mobile Bay from Mobile to Gulf Shores and getting conflicting information on best route to use due to bridges and tunnels. My 5th wheel is 13' 6'' high. Any advice on which route to take as I would think I 10 would be best but not sure?
    2021 Reflection 337 RLS
    2017 Ram 2500 Laramie with Cummins 6.7

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always use I-10 on that route to Destin. No clearance issue. The only problem we ever had was one trip when the tunnel was closed due to a collision. Traffic was detoured thur town and was a little tight. I figured if the semis could make it we could too , but it took a while.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went I-10 from Gulf Shores through Mobile, and I don't remember it being bad. We traveled up to I-10 from Gulf Shores on Baldwin Beach rather than Highway 59. Worked okay, AFAICR.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hills23 View Post
    I am looking to cross Mobile Bay from Mobile to Gulf Shores and getting conflicting information on best route to use due to bridges and tunnels. My 5th wheel is 13' 6'' high. Any advice on which route to take as I would think I 10 would be best but not sure?
    Thanks for this, but I should of been clearer as we are coming south from Mississippi and RVTW has us avoiding the tunnel which is fine, but then crossing the first part of the bay on #98 then joining I-10 about half-way across the bay. I am not sure why it doesn't want me to take I-10 all the way across or if I am missing something?
    2021 Reflection 337 RLS
    2017 Ram 2500 Laramie with Cummins 6.7

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may need to check your preferences in Trip Wizard. It may be set to shortest distance, or auto instead of RV.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hills23 View Post
    Thanks for this, but I should of been clearer as we are coming south from Mississippi and RVTW has us avoiding the tunnel which is fine, but then crossing the first part of the bay on #98 then joining I-10 about half-way across the bay. I am not sure why it doesn't want me to take I-10 all the way across or if I am missing something?
    Are you coming from MS on I-10 going East? I got curious and checked my Garmin 890. If on I-10 it routed me right through the tunnel, never leaving I-10. I know when we go to/from northern MS to I-10 in FL it routes me around Mobile on the north side.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just crossed Mobile Bay about 3 weeks ago traveling from New Orleans to Gulf Shores. We are at 13-5, and had no problem using I-10 the entire way. When using Trip Wizzard, I always turn the "drag route" option on to pick my own route. I also saw the issue with low bridge warning, but using the street view option I decided the warning was for Battleship Way, the road passing under I-10.