User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've used a B&W Companion hitch for nearly 15 years, and when we changed trucks, and went to the puck system, we bought the Companion with puck system. That's how much we like the B&W hitch. IMO the only way to, maybe, be better is with one of the air ride hitches, at twice the price and twice the weight.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2022 F350 long bed with the puck system. First of all if your truck didn't come from the factory with the puck system already installed you won't be able to put the puck hitch in. It's a factory install as it requires modifications to the bed that are done before the bed is mounted to the frame. Last I heard there is no aftermarket puck systems out there. The 5th wheel prep package is something completely different it only has to do with having the 7 pin plug in the bed, etc
    Last edited by jeririgged223; 11-16-2022 at 02:32 PM.
    Jeri, Honey & Char
    2019 GD Momentum 376th
    2022 Ford F350 Crewcab 4WD SRW Diesel Longbed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan to install the OEM puck system (to accommodate the puck style hitch) along with the hitch and 7 pin plug in the bed. This is very much something that can be done after the fact. Would it have been wiser, cheaper and easier to have done when the truck was built....of course. We all know how life goes. Strap in for the ride.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I have a 2022 F350 long bed and use the B&W 25K OEM companion and love it for towing my Reflection 220RK. Yes the hitch is overkill, but I might want to move up in trailer size some day. The only difference between the 20K and the 25K is the head support arms. It is the best hitch I have ever owned in my 45 years of towing. Whats fantastic about it is in unlevel camp sites you can drive out of it even if the jaws don't open (make sure it is fully unlocked). No binding. It is also noiseless, even driving to Alaska on those horrendous roads.

Hope this helps

PS It is the only USA made 5th wheel hitch and thier customer service is great - they answer phones.

On edit I also have the Retrax Pro rolling bed cover and have 7" of clearance, and the hitch head fits under the cover when closed.
    Though I do not have a Ford, I went with the B&W Companion 20k (puck system) and love it. I have no clearance issues and the hitch fits under the Extang Solid Fold with room to spare. Never had an issue unhooking especially on uneven ground and validating whether the jaws are locked is a cinch!
    2020 GMC Denali 3500HD
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310-GK
    TST - TPMS
    B&W Companion 20k hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Companion Unhitch Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppyz06 View Post
    Though I do not have a Ford, I went with the B&W Companion 20k (puck system) and love it. I have no clearance issues and the hitch fits under the Extang Solid Fold with room to spare. Never had an issue unhooking especially on uneven ground and validating whether the jaws are locked is a cinch!
    I have a Companion hitch and did have a problem once this year unhitching. The issue was that the landing gear was raised a bit too high so there was pressure on the pin as it was actually lifting the hitch slightly. I wasn’t able to pull the truck away. I could have if I had used more force but I didn’t want to pop anything. The solution was to lower the pin to the correct level so no upward pressure. Then I was able to unhitch fine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I think @Misterpiano was referring to issues of bed rail clearance with the 1/2 ton trucks vs. the 3/4 and 1 ton. I've wondered about this myself, as I tow with an older 3/4 ton that sets much lower than newer models. My trailer sets perfectly level but it's hard to imagine how you can accomplish this with the newer trucks that set much higher.
    I am not familiar with older Ford trucks. The oldest Ford truck I had was a 2019 F250, but I can tell you that the 2020 F250 is 2" lower than the 2019. Truck manufactures are making trucks lower now to accommodate the new 5th wheels. There is no difference in height between a F250 and F350 SRW.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12