Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 320G Towing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 320G Towing

My first post so if i'm doing or asking something wrong, please forgive the newby. I tried to use the FAQ but couldn't find the answer.

Anyone towing a 320G with a 3/4 ton (Ford or Chevy or Ram) with airbags? if so, how is the ride or does the 320G tax the 3/4 ton?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gas or diesel? You just opened a can of worms and I'm going to give my opinion below. I'm sure there will be people that disagree, and there will be those that agree.

In a 3/4 ton you'll likely be limited by payload. In most diesel 3/4 tons you don't have much more than a 1/2 ton truck. Payload capacity on a ram 2500 Laramie diesel I just looked at was 2100lbs. My 18 F-150 has 1750lbs. Yes, that's only one of the weights that matter and that 2500 will be able to pull a lot more and have a much higher Gross Combined, but you have to make sure you don't exceed the trucks payload capacity getting to that number. To do that you have to have a low tongue/pin weight. Toyhaulers are heavy in the front. The brochure pin weight is 2300lbs and that's usually on the low side of what it will actually be. Using the ram I just described as an example, you're already 200lbs overweight before you put any butts in seats or stuff in the camper. Airbags will do nothing to increase capacity. They will actually lower your payload because you're adding weight to the truck.

There has been tons of argument here about what is and isn't different on a 3/4 ton vs 1 ton truck. Ram is really the only one that has obvious differences I know of in that they have coil springs on their 2500s and leafs on the 3500. Ride is great, but payload is terrible. You can order an F-250 with the same springs that come on the 350. The 1 ton adds an overload spring into the leaf pack and has heavier coils up front. It may also have different axles but I'm not 100% on that.

With the 320G, you're really in 1 ton territory for a number of reasons. I've been back and forth between a 29G and 320G and I'm going with an F-350. The ride is about the same, price is about the same, and I live in a state where registration fees are the same. It makes no sense for me to have a truck that is overloaded. That may only be a matter of being overweight on paper, but that's another discussion. I'm buying the truck for one reason so I might as well cover all my bases and be able to choose whatever RV I want later knowing I have enough truck.
    Last edited by pilotpip; 11-08-2022 at 06:39 PM.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, welcome to the forum.

You'll probably find someone, somewhere, towing a Momentum 320G with a 3/4-ton truck - but you won't find many who would advise it. At 16,800 lbs. GVWR with a likely pin weight of 3,800 lbs. loaded, that unit is well into 1-ton territory. Many advise a 1-ton dual rear wheel for anything 15,000 lbs. GVWR or over. I would strongly urge against it.

Do some reading in the reference library here:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a door sticker of 3100 lbs payload because of factory add ons on my 2500HD. My 5er is probably right around that payload. Sometimes it just doesnt feel secure. I definitely wouldnt do it with any more payload. Im getting a 1 ton as soon as I can.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollernothin View Post
    My first post so if i'm doing or asking something wrong, please forgive the newby. I tried to use the FAQ but couldn't find the answer.

Anyone towing a 320G with a 3/4 ton (Ford or Chevy or Ram) with airbags? if so, how is the ride or does the 320G tax the 3/4 ton?
    Welcome to the forum!

As others have stated, this is actually well into dual wheel territory. I have a srw 1 ton diesel with a GVWR of 11500 and payload of about 3500 lbs. My srw 1 ton diesel would be over for this too. As Rob said, I would advise against towing a 320 with a 3/4 ton.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow my 320G with a 1 ton SRW, currently at a little less than 15,000 lbs. My pin weight is usually somewhere around 2,800 to 2,900 lbs depending on loading (320G has a light pin weight) per the CAT scale. I know all the arguments on the 3/4 - 1 ton truck being the same except an over load leaf, except the RAM which has different rear suspension. All I can say, after towing my combo around 14,000 miles so far, is nothing less than a 1 ton. If I get near, or exceed 16,000 lbs., I will have a dually in my driveway.

My truck handles the trailer great, and is within all weight numbers, but to say I do not feel the trailer behind me would be wrong. The only thing I have done to my truck is put Timbrens on to help cushion the rear on bumps. My truck prior to the Timbrens was level with the trailer hooked up.

My truck has a factory payload of 3,750 lbs, but with a aftermarket Titan 50 gallon fuel tank that replaces the OEM 32 gallon one, hitch, me and my junk, it is 3,350 lbs.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 11-09-2022 at 08:03 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob I think no one will ever argue more is better. More safety margin is always better. the 3800lbs pin weight is way off. That being said in the case of the 320G I believe in my humble option it was made to give access to a 3/4 ton diesel option. Pin weight unloaded is only 2300 lbs. Once you put a toy in the small 11 ft garage it get lighter in pin weight. You could argue too light but it does not exceed the capacity of the truck. The unloaded weight is 12,400 yes take it to the scales higher but mine runs with gold cart and no water in the rig at 14,500 +/- it is a max 16,800. Again well within the 18,500 capacity. A 3500 DWR would absolutely be safer but I think is you travel smartly not excessive speed it can be done safely. I would not go any larger than the this 36ft coach with a low pin weight.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DvlDawg View Post
    Rob I think no one will ever argue more is better. More safety margin is always better. the 3800lbs pin weight is way off. That being said in the case of the 320G I believe in my humble option it was made to give access to a 3/4 ton diesel option. Pin weight unloaded is only 2300 lbs. Once you put a toy in the small 11 ft garage it get lighter in pin weight. You could argue too light but it does not exceed the capacity of the truck. The unloaded weight is 12,400 yes take it to the scales higher but mine runs with gold cart and no water in the rig at 14,500 +/- it is a max 16,800. Again well within the 18,500 capacity. A 3500 DWR would absolutely be safer but I think is you travel smartly not excessive speed it can be done safely. I would not go any larger than the this 36ft coach with a low pin weight.
    Year old post. I think the op has moved on
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload