Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you make it as far as Myrtle Beach along the coast, I'd suggest turning west and start working your way toward the North Georgia Mountains. Or NW North Carolina in the Smoky Mountains.

We keep our Reflection 5th wheel in storage at Helen, GA, and we just adore the region.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @traveldawg

We love staying at Coastal Georgia RV park when we head south. It's a great home base for visiting Jekyll Island and St Simons Island along with other areas along the Southern GA coast. Their buddy sites in the new section are the best sites... even if you aren't traveling with a buddy! We'll be there for a week in early February before the Daytona 500 race.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    If you make it as far as Myrtle Beach along the coast, I'd suggest turning west and start working your way toward the North Georgia Mountains. Or NW North Carolina in the Smoky Mountains.

We keep our Reflection 5th wheel in storage at Helen, GA, and we just adore the region.
    When we lived in Marietta, GA we loved the N GA mountains. Yhona mountain was always a good place to stay but it's probably been 10+ years since we've been up that way. It might be time to revisit that area.

Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    @traveldawg

We love staying at Coastal Georgia RV park when we head south. It's a great home base for visiting Jekyll Island and St Simons Island along with other areas along the Southern GA coast. Their buddy sites in the new section are the best sites... even if you aren't traveling with a buddy! We'll be there for a week in early February before the Daytona 500 race.
    Yes - those new sites are the best. Unless I can stay in those I don't bother with the single sites anymore, I find those sort of claustrophobic with the hedges. Beautiful park, but I think the owner got a bit greedy with the original sites in that I find them narrow and just a bit short, not to mention trying to get out with the curbing and roadways (especially if a neighbor takes up too much road room parking his toad or tow vehicle. We still get there at least once a year for one reason or another tho - usually bicycle riding on the islands.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are wanting to dodge tourist traps stay away from Myrtle Beach. Probably be best to head inland a few miles and catch the bypass. 17 is a mess from Murrells Inlet to above Cherry Grove NC in peak season. We do go quite frequently to Lakewood RV park in the summer. We stay in the park 90% of the trip. Might go to one or two places other than that. There's a neighborhood walmart and gas station directly across the stop lighted entrance off 17 so extremely easy in and out. It may be the most "state park" type feel resort on the strip. I know you didn't want a resort style but look into their shaded sites. We stay in Section 3 South Shaded. Most have good shade. Pirate Land and Ocean lakes that was previously mentioned are almost sideby side. They also have shaded sites but I've never stayed at either. All 3 are far enough from the major congestion of the hotels.

Your state park options are Myrtle Beach State Park and Huntington Beach State park. The easiest if you can get reservations would be Huntington and then catch the bypass around Myrtle. 2nd best options I think would be stay at one of the big 3 ( Pirate Land, Ocean Lakes, Lakewood) then cut over to the bypass.
    2019 F250 FX4 gas with puck system
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    A German Shepherd and a Wife!
    Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Skidaway Island SP near Savannah is a great place to stay, It's on my list of favorites that we have visited so far. Also South of Myrtle beach is Murrells Inlet, SC Huntington SP with Brookgreen Gardens just slightly down the road. Fantastic Garden filled with awesome sculptures all throuugh the Garden. We spent 2 days walking the grounds, it would have been easy enough to add a 3rd if we had scheduled enough tiime.
    If you stay around Murrells Inlet, you gotta go to The Golden Egg for breakfast. Also, if you go through Charleston and decide to stop, Lewis BBQ or Rodney Scott's BBQ are a must eat.
    2022 Reflection 303RLS
    2021 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ Crew Cab 4x4
    Blue Ox 5th wheel goose ball hitch/B&W turnover

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks folks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    The cynic in me wants to say that Hwy 17 is a "tourist trap" - but probably unavoidable if you want to explore the mid Atlantic coast...

Lets see if I can be helpful....
    > You'll be near Clayton - you can always go by there to see where they make their famous (and, IMO, tasty) fruitcake;
    > Gotta do a day or 2 in Savanah - no hiking other than walking, maybe some fishing. As Marcy said - stay at Tybee Island.
    > Charleston is nice - stay out of the city and off ST James Island with the RV - they like their trees a bit too low. For me James County Park, while very nice, is a no-no due to tree issues in/out and within the park. Charleston is a tourist city, but it has lots of southern charm. Fort Sumpter NP is there. Lots to see just walking - good food. They think they are still fighting the norther 'war of aggression tho'... I think we hear that expression every time we go to that area. Foley Beach just south of Charleston is nice (but touristy).
    > Myrtle Beach - still trying to figure out what people see in that place (but being from FL I'm a bit fussy - FL has beaches, other states have coast lines....

All in all, I think you can get all the southern charm, fishing, hiking (walking here in the flat land), biking, fresh seafood in the Brunswick area of GA (includes St Simons Island, Jekyell Island, old plantation tours, etc. Good fishing on you own or with a charter or individual guide. Great campground - Coastal GA - but ask for a site in the new section (very nice). Further up in Darien is a small, not so fancy, but nice CG - Island Harbor RV Park; there are a few nice restaurants in Darien. Nearer Brunswick again - Blyth Island Regional Park if that is your 'cup of tea'

For us (FL beach bigots & 'been-there-done-that'ers) - we're not into the northern-more east coast as it is usually too far off to the east for what you get. I think that is why we like the Brunswick, GA area & up to Savanah - easier access with almost everything offered further north.

Don't rule out Jacksonville or just to the north or south parts of that city. But I realize you may want to explore north more than south.

You sound like us when we visit CO - which way to go, what to see - so much to anjoy all over. Have fun....
    Slight correction:
    Fruit cake city in GA is Claxton not Clayton.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Slight correction:
    Fruit cake city in GA is Claxton not Clayton.
    dang autocorrect......
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    dang autocorrect......
    The movie Deliverance was filmed in the Clayton area.

Hiawassee is also very nice.
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 6.7 Diesel Platinum SRW 4X4
    Curt Q20 Slider

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Summer of 23 Making a trip to Statesboro Georgia to visit Daughter. Thinking of making a loop up the coast before turning west back to Colorado. Looking for camping (City, County, state, NP, Forrest BLM, etc) not RV parks or resorts. Fishing for me and hiking for DW. Beaches to visit.

In looking at Google Maps it looks like 17 up the coast from Savannah to Norfolk is a good way to go. Looking to stay away from tourist traps or be in the big city's except to drive through. No real itinerary, just want a relaxing trip with good places to see (museums, beaches, etc), good food and nice places to park a while if we want to. Do not need full hookups, but electricity would be good , with dump and water stations every few days. Also are reservations required at recommended places?

First time through there as an adult - I think I was 5 the last time.

Thanks
    Check out Hunting Island State Park Beaufort, SC or Tybee Island, GA. If you plan a visit to Charleston, SC James Island County Park is convenient to everything. Reservations may be tough this late in the game but you may luck up on some weekdays.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast