Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

East coast of Georgia, South and North Carolina, and Virginia

Summer of 23 Making a trip to Statesboro Georgia to visit Daughter. Thinking of making a loop up the coast before turning west back to Colorado. Looking for camping (City, County, state, NP, Forrest BLM, etc) not RV parks or resorts. Fishing for me and hiking for DW. Beaches to visit.

In looking at Google Maps it looks like 17 up the coast from Savannah to Norfolk is a good way to go. Looking to stay away from tourist traps or be in the big city's except to drive through. No real itinerary, just want a relaxing trip with good places to see (museums, beaches, etc), good food and nice places to park a while if we want to. Do not need full hookups, but electricity would be good , with dump and water stations every few days. Also are reservations required at recommended places?

First time through there as an adult - I think I was 5 the last time.

Thanks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skidaway Island SP near Savannah is a great place to stay, It's on my list of favorites that we have visited so far. Also South of Myrtle beach is Murrells Inlet, SC Huntington SP with Brookgreen Gardens just slightly down the road. Fantastic Garden filled with awesome sculptures all throuugh the Garden. We spent 2 days walking the grounds, it would have been easy enough to add a 3rd if we had scheduled enough tiime.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 11-09-2022 at 05:03 PM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cynic in me wants to say that Hwy 17 is a "tourist trap" - but probably unavoidable if you want to explore the mid Atlantic coast...

Lets see if I can be helpful....
    > You'll be near Clayton - you can always go by there to see where they make their famous (and, IMO, tasty) fruitcake;
    > Gotta do a day or 2 in Savanah - no hiking other than walking, maybe some fishing. As Marcy said - stay at Tybee Island.
    > Charleston is nice - stay out of the city and off ST James Island with the RV - they like their trees a bit too low. For me James County Park, while very nice, is a no-no due to tree issues in/out and within the park. Charleston is a tourist city, but it has lots of southern charm. Fort Sumpter NP is there. Lots to see just walking - good food. They think they are still fighting the norther 'war of aggression tho'... I think we hear that expression every time we go to that area. Foley Beach just south of Charleston is nice (but touristy).
    > Myrtle Beach - still trying to figure out what people see in that place (but being from FL I'm a bit fussy - FL has beaches, other states have coast lines....

All in all, I think you can get all the southern charm, fishing, hiking (walking here in the flat land), biking, fresh seafood in the Brunswick area of GA (includes St Simons Island, Jekyell Island, old plantation tours, etc. Good fishing on you own or with a charter or individual guide. Great campground - Coastal GA - but ask for a site in the new section (very nice). Further up in Darien is a small, not so fancy, but nice CG - Island Harbor RV Park; there are a few nice restaurants in Darien. Nearer Brunswick again - Blyth Island Regional Park if that is your 'cup of tea'

For us (FL beach bigots & 'been-there-done-that'ers) - we're not into the northern-more east coast as it is usually too far off to the east for what you get. I think that is why we like the Brunswick, GA area & up to Savanah - easier access with almost everything offered further north.

Don't rule out Jacksonville or just to the north or south parts of that city. But I realize you may want to explore north more than south.

You sound like us when we visit CO - which way to go, what to see - so much to anjoy all over. Have fun....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Summer of 23 Making a trip to Statesboro Georgia to visit Daughter. Thinking of making a loop up the coast before turning west back to Colorado. Looking for camping (City, County, state, NP, Forrest BLM, etc) not RV parks or resorts. Fishing for me and hiking for DW. Beaches to visit.

In looking at Google Maps it looks like 17 up the coast from Savannah to Norfolk is a good way to go. Looking to stay away from tourist traps or be in the big city's except to drive through. No real itinerary, just want a relaxing trip with good places to see (museums, beaches, etc), good food and nice places to park a while if we want to. Do not need full hookups, but electricity would be good , with dump and water stations every few days. Also are reservations required at recommended places?

First time through there as an adult - I think I was 5 the last time.

Thanks
    Don't know how far north you're planning to venture, we just stayed at Pohick Bay in Lorton, VA. It was a very well-run county (I think) park. Lorton is just south of Alexandria and Pohick Bay features the Potomac River.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Folks
    Lots of excellent information. I had not thought of south towards Jackson. I know summers are hot there. How about fall , say late September or October? In other words best time of the year to visit.

BTW when is soft shelled crab season? Never tasted one.

Thanks again
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chesapeake Bay soft shell crabs generally run from April to Sept-Oct. You can get still get them out of season at some restaurants, but they will have been frozen.
    Last edited by JonSr.; 11-12-2022 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Error

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going North on Route 17, stop in Georgetown, SC, and take a boat tour with Cap'n Rod's Lowcountry Shell Island & Plantation Tours. Highly recommend the Shell Island tour. After the boat tour, you can walk to the River Room restaurant for a nice meal.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you wanted to avoid RV parks, but Myrtle Beach Travel Park on the north side is nice and right on the beach. No driving to a beach which is a plus for me. Same with Ocean Lakes on the south side. They have some wooded sites but most are full sun.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    I know you wanted to avoid RV parks, but Myrtle Beach Travel Park on the north side is nice and right on the beach. No driving to a beach which is a plus for me. Same with Ocean Lakes on the south side. They have some wooded sites but most are full sun.
    Thanks
    Ill haft to check into them as I am finding all the state parks etc are already booked up.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great National Forest campground; electrical only hook ups (50amp). Does have water and dump station in the park. Nice size sites as well.

Cedar Point (near Swansboro, NC): https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/233312
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast