User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shore power unavailable and not charging LiIon batteries

I've got a call in to my installer but won't hear back until tomorrow. So I'm just throwing this out there to see if anyone has a suggestion for something I've not looked at yet.

When we arrived at our campground late this afternoon and plugged in/hooked up, I didn't immediately check the Xantrex system control panel on the inside of the trailer (see my sig for info on the solar installation—it's brief, I know). But about an hour later, I looked, and saw that the inverter was still on, supplying 110V to the parts of the trailer that we have on the inverter. But no incoming 110V showing, and of course, therefore, no charging of the batteries.

Important: the solar system was charging pretty much all day, so we're OK for the moment. But with rainy/cloudy weather coming, probably not good for the longer term.

I've checked the power at the supply post in the campground; it's fine. And the cable to the trailer is fine. No breakers off anywhere that I can find, either on the 110V breakers that were installed to handle the 110V from the inverter/batteries. And I don't know enough about the Xantrex Midnite Solar controller to change anything there, but the display looks "normal" to me.

My conclusion at this point is that the charge controller has failed; there appear to be no buttons/switches I can reset.

Suggestions welcome. And I realize that this is something of a "hail mary" post.
    Jim and Merna

2021 Solitude 345GK-R w/ 17.5 wheels/Cooper H-rated tires (replacing a 2014 Solitude 369RL).
    8k axles upgraded with Mor-Ryde IS/disc brakes and Solar (1280 watts + 800Ah Lithium batteries).
    2015 F-350 6.7 diesel SRW, Curt 20k hitch.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know if you have an auto transfer switch for the 120v power, or is it built into your inverter?

I doubt it's the charge controller if the inverter isnt seeing 120v coming in from shore power. I would start wherever shore power enters the RV and follow it until it gets to the inverter.

Also possible the inverter needs a reset, I assume you ha e actual 12v disconnects, I would cut off all power and start over.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I forget and leave my inverter on when plugging in to shore power, after a shout time the GFI located in my bath 110 outlet will trip, making it appear like I have no shore power, just a thought.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Do you know if you have an auto transfer switch for the 120v power, or is it built into your inverter?
    I don't know for sure; that is, when the solar guy put all of the solar gear in, I'm not crystal clear on whether the original transfer switch was replaced by something he installed (in the Xantrex gear he put in).

I doubt it's the charge controller if the inverter isnt seeing 120v coming in from shore power. I would start wherever shore power enters the RV and follow it until it gets to the inverter.
    OK. That is helpful. I'll check this out more thoroughly in the light of day. But my fairly careful inspection in the basement this evening didn't see anything amiss.

Also possible the inverter needs a reset, I assume you ha e actual 12v disconnects, I would cut off all power and start over.
    I did a full power-off and restart on the Xantrex device; and also cut all 12V power at the disconnect. No joy yet.

I'm hoping my guy returns my call first thing in the a.m. Thanks for all of the suggestions/help in the meantime.
    Jim and Merna

2021 Solitude 345GK-R w/ 17.5 wheels/Cooper H-rated tires (replacing a 2014 Solitude 369RL).
    8k axles upgraded with Mor-Ryde IS/disc brakes and Solar (1280 watts + 800Ah Lithium batteries).

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Xantrex XC pro. It should transfer off inverter automatically. I also have a Progressive Industries EMS hard wired to my 120 line in. I know it will stop power from the line in if there is a problem with the wiring. Low voltage, high voltage, even a floating ground. If you have an EMS and you're sure the power is good, you can bypass it via the control panel. On the top of the Xantrex unit, there is a cover for the 120n line in and out. You can remove it and make sure you have power there.
    Hope this helps,
    Brian
    Brian and Lennette
    2018 GMC 2500 Duramax
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all of you who chimed in.

My solar guy called me at 8:14 this a.m. (they open at 8:00), and within 10 minutes we had it figured out. It was a Doh/forehad-slapping moment, as some of these things turn out. A breaker that feeds the charge-controller had been turned off—I'm quite sure—and by whom (me, probably) and when is not certain. In any case, not even qualifies as a fix: more like "user error corrected by pro."

If anyone wants a solar install in north-central Indiana, I can recommend a good one: great customer service from Glenn at Advanced Solar.

Thanks again. Back to your coffee (and mine).
    Jim and Merna