0 Thread(s)

Carrying bikes on xls 22mle

How do you carry bikes on your trailer? We would like to carry 2. Thanks

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some common ways (and the best) are to:

1) have a receiver hitch installed on the trailer (2" receiver) for an RV rated bike rack with a 2" tube (Swagman makes several). Do not use a receiver that bolts on to the bumper;

2) install a bike carrier designed to go over the LP tanks above the A-frame at the front of the trailer. This is a good option because it exposes the rack and bikes to less bouncing around (think G-forces), but is harder to get the bikes on and off of due to the height.

3) if you are towing with a pickup, you can install fork mounts in the bed of the truck that the bikes mount to with the front wheels removed. If you have a Tonneau cover, there are also racks for on top of the Tonneau depending on the model.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carry them in or on the tow vehicle. Nothing on the trailer is nearly as good. On the roof or in the bed of the truck.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Lippert "Jack-It" rack (#2 in Rob's post above) on our trailer. He is spot on with the "pros and cons". We can lower our tailgate while hitched up and use it to stand on but you still are not as close to the stand to load the rear bike with ease. If you are about six foot tall, young and strong, lifting the rear bike over the stand and placing it in the rack is doable. If you are 5'-10" and 71 years old, not so much. Rather awkward position having to lean forward while lifting and avoiding marring the face of the trailer.

I now remove the upper stand connection and place it on the rear bike. Then lift both the bike and stand and set it in place. Problem is, it's even heavier than just the bike. Again, a young guy or gal could do this much easier. As for me, I have to get back in the weight room. Front bike mounts/dismounts with no problem.

As stated earlier, it does ride nice, is visible in the rear view mirror and is less costly in the long run than a certified RV bike rack and added receiver hitch (# 1) but as I age, that will be my next move.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We chose to have a receiver welded to the frame by a certified welder. We also relocated the spare using an under-belly mount.

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Rob- with one caveat-

I have an Imagine and would suggest the rear bumper will not support a bike rack in a stock configuration. We needed to have a heavier gauge bumper fitted with the 2 inch receiver for 2 electric bikes. (Check with GD- it’s not rated for the weight).

Ditto on the spare relocation.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Jack-It and it works well for 29" mountain bike and a 26" mountain bike. It is a bit tricky to get them up and down, but I didn't want to go the bumper route (not strong enough) or the hitch addition (too much bouncing and my hitch rack is not rated for trailer use so I would need to buy another one).
    South Central Texas
    2021 Imagine XLS 21BHE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ideal bike setup for an Imagine trailer is what @Paul & Deb did. With this setup you could even carry EBikes.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    The ideal bike setup for an Imagine trailer is what @Paul & Deb did. With this setup you could even carry EBikes.
    We've had a receiver hitch on our last 3 trailers. This is the second one I had to have welded on. Our 337 came from the factory with one. And we do carry 2 60# ebikes. They've ridden very well all around the country.

One thing I do for added safety, mostly for those behind us, is I run a steel cable through the bike frames and then under the rear to the welded cross member. The reality is that anything can fail so in case ours does, the bikes would drag and not cause a road hazard. We can also see them with our rear view camera while driving.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul & Deb View Post
    We've had a receiver hitch on our last 3 trailers. This is the second one I had to have welded on. Our 337 came from the factory with one. And we do carry 2 60# ebikes. They've ridden very well all around the country.

One thing I do for added safety, mostly for those behind us, is I run a steel cable through the bike frames and then under the rear to the welded cross member. The reality is that anything can fail so in case ours does, the bikes would drag and not cause a road hazard. We can also see them with our rear view camera while driving.
    I do the same thing. I have one of these
    https://www.etrailer.com/Cable-Locks...kaAiiKEALw_wcB
    It gets used every trip and has held up for 4 seasons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast