User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow vehicle tire pressure

Good morning - I have a new to me 2021 GMC Sierra 3500 dually. The previous owner had put new tires on which were much larger than the OEM. The placard on the door jam states that the tires should be run at 80 psi, the new tires have on their sidewall a pressure of 65 psi. I am getting conflicting info as to what pressure to actually run them at. I would appreciate any info you could share.

Cheers

Tim

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could look up the loading/inflation chart for your specific tires, and as long as you know the weight of the truck you could figure out where to set the pressure. A CAT scale would be helpful in this case, if you have no idea on weight, you could base it off the GVWR of the truck, most likely 14k lbs for a dually.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for that - will do.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the PO replaced the "E" rated tires with "P" rated passenger tires. If so, the ride will be much softer, but the towing will suffer due to the softer sidewalls and lower inflation pressure.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TSRig18 View Post
    Good morning - I have a new to me 2021 GMC Sierra 3500 dually. The previous owner had put new tires on which were much larger than the OEM. The placard on the door jam states that the tires should be run at 80 psi, the new tires have on their sidewall a pressure of 65 psi. I am getting conflicting info as to what pressure to actually run them at. I would appreciate any info you could share.

Cheers

Tim
    I would be concerned with the tires that are on the truck now. You need to look up the rated load capacity of the tire at the maximum inflated psi. If all four tires on the rear of the truck are equal to or less than the Rear Axle Weight rating, they need to go, and be replaced with tires that are equal to OEM tire ratings and spec. Same thing with the front tires.

In the line of progression, as far as capacity ratings go, payload for the truck is the starting point. Then the RAWR, then the tire load capacity rating....which should ALWAYS be higher than the RAWR....by at least some amount.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent points about which tires the previous owner installed. Hope you dont need to replace them, that's a good $1200 - 1500.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good points being made. Sounds like the tires are not appropriate for your vehicle. Regardless, go by the pressure on the tire, not on the door label as you don’t have the OEM tires.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, that was good info. I did go onto the tire manufacturer's website to check the max load per tire, which is 2910lb. The RAWR is 10,500 so we are good there. It still begs the question though, do I follow the info on the tire as to the pressure they should be inflated to. A gentleman at the GM dealership said they should be inflated to 80psi as per the placard on the doorframe (even though they are not the OEM tires)???

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TSRig18 View Post
    Thank you, that was good info. I did go onto the tire manufacturer's website to check the max load per tire, which is 2910lb. The RAWR is 10,500 so we are good there. It still begs the question though, do I follow the info on the tire as to the pressure they should be inflated to. A gentleman at the GM dealership said they should be inflated to 80psi as per the placard on the doorframe (even though they are not the OEM tires)???
    If it were me, I'd still go off what the tire manufacturer says per their tables. Just because someone at a dealership tells you something, doesn't make it right....especial if they were from the sales department. Maybe someone else has a better idea.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the tire says "Maximum Pressure is 65 psi", why would you think the tire should be inflated to 80 psi? What tire size does the placard call for, and what tire size is presently on the truck?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast