User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I use an inverter to run fridge while travelling?

Don't want to run fridge on propane while on the road ... don't want to check into an RV site just for an overnight stay.
    I'm thinking it would be "easy" to replace my onboard converter with an inverter for the up to 8 hours we spend driving (and propane over night)
    My back of the envelope figures tell me a bank of 4 LiPO4 100W should last for one day's travel.

Is it really going to be that "easy?"
    Pam and Doug
    2017 F350 (the Dragon) with 2015 GD Ref 337RLS (the Dragon's Tail)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll still need a converter to charge the batteries unless you get an inverter/charger which does both functions.

I think you mean 100AH for the batteries.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    320-ish Watts is going to end up around 29A from the 12V system when you include inverter inefficiency and the control circuit draw. You’ll likely get less than 10A back from the tow vehicle. So I’d figure on a 20A draw while on the road, then 2A while overnighting. So 8*20 +16*2= 192AH consumed per day without allowing any power use for lights, TV or furnace at night. That assumes 24 hour refrigerator run time, which is worst case.

That’s probably not sustainable without recharging at least every other night.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonDriver View Post
    Don't want to run fridge on propane while on the road ... don't want to check into an RV site just for an overnight stay.
    I'm thinking it would be "easy" to replace my onboard converter with an inverter for the up to 8 hours we spend driving (and propane over night)
    My back of the envelope figures tell me a bank of 4 LiPO4 100W should last for one day's travel.

In a word, yes.

It's a little bit more complicated than that, though. As was pointed out, you should do and inverter/charger. Xantrax makes an inexpensive one that is pretty good.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonDriver View Post

We added an inverter to run the fridge while driving. As stated it takes about 25A to run the fridge continuously. We have 2 100AH LiPO4 batteries. We also have 400W of solar. We can run the fridge while we're driving because the solar charges at about 15 to 20 amps while the fridge uses about 25A IF it's running continuously. When we get to our campsite, we switch the fridge to propane. This seems to work for a couple of days without any other charging.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)