User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing Question - Powering the water pump

Hi All,

This is our first year with our 2400BH. I am going to winterize the unit to be safe as temps start to drop some. We're in North Texas, and looking at a cold front with some 28-31 degree nights. Where our unit is stored does not have power. I was hoping to winterize it there and not have to bring it home to do it. I have a 2021 F150 with the AC outlet in the truck bed which is 400W. I was going to try and plug into that to run the waterpump to push antifreeze. Has anyone tried this, I assume it should be enough juice but electrical is not my strong suite and I am not sure how much other draw there is. I'll make sure everything else is off of course.

We plan to do some camping throughout the winter, and when we come back from future trips I will just winterize at home before taking it back to storage. Not a big deal if I have to go get it, just thought this might save some time.

Dan
    2019 GD Imagine 2400BH
    2021 F-150 Tow Pkg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pump is 12V, so if your battery is good, you're set.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 11-11-2022 at 09:45 AM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the battery still in the RV? If it is how is it’s state of charge? Having a full battery and as long as all other stuff is turned off it should power the water pump just fine and you can plug into the truck to keep the battery replenished as you use it for the pump. If the battery is out of the RV it would probably work best to take it with you and hook it up while winterizing.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    The pump is 12V, so if your battery is good, you're set.
    Oh even easier, thank you!
    2019 GD Imagine 2400BH
    2021 F-150 Tow Pkg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    Is the battery still in the RV? If it is how is it’s state of charge? Having a full battery and as long as all other stuff is turned off it should power the water pump just fine and you can plug into the truck to keep the battery replenished as you use it for the pump. If the battery is out of the RV it would probably work best to take it with you and hook it up while winterizing.
    I actually needed to replace the battery anyways, so I bought a new one and used it to winterize and brought it back home to put on the trickle charger. Appreciate the help and responses!
    2019 GD Imagine 2400BH
    2021 F-150 Tow Pkg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For future reference, you can do this without a trailer battery as well. If the trailer is plugged into 120V AC, the power distribution center will provide enough power to run the pump. The only thing that is really recommended not to do without a battery is extend/retract the slide. Every other 12V consumer in the trailer is fairly low draw, so you're good unless you try using everything at once.

Without shore power or a house battery, you could still plug the 7-way connector into your tow vehicle and get power from it.