User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Converter Circuit Breaker Tripping

We have a 2023 Solitude 310GK-R with solar option. Twice we have had the converter circuit breaker trip when connected to shore power. Converter WFCO 9855-AD. We leave the trailer and come back to the WFCO Inverter beeping because of low battery voltage as the converter is off and not charging the batteries. Unsure why this is happening. Anyone else experienced this or have an idea?
    2023 Solitude 310GK-R
    2022 Ford F350 DRW
    Hensley BD5 hitch

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew7rtx View Post
    We have a 2023 Solitude 310GK-R with solar option. Twice we have had the converter circuit breaker trip when connected to shore power. Converter WFCO 9855-AD. We leave the trailer and come back to the WFCO Inverter beeping because of low battery voltage as the converter is off and not charging the batteries. Unsure why this is happening. Anyone else experienced this or have an idea?
    Sorry this is happening to you, and unfortunately, I don't have a solution beyond checking your wiring. We also have the WFCO 9855-AD and I can't say I'm a fan. It is supposed to auto-detect lithium batteries but it didn't "remember" that it was connected to lithium even after starting with a discharged battery as WFCO recommended.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first glance, sounds like a failing converter-charger. The WFCOs aren't at the top of the respect pyramid. Perhaps @SolarPoweredRV has some insight...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew7rtx View Post
    When you say "The breaker was tripped" I am assuming that you are talking about the 120 volt breaker in the breaker box and not about a breaker that is physically on the Converter itself.

If this is the case, there should be only one thing that can cause that 120v breaker to trip and that is a circuit overload. You need to check your coach to determine if any thing other than the Converter is on that circuit. Turn off that breaker and check all your other appliances to find out what else might be on that same circuit. Look for things that are not obvious like the Microwave, Fireplace Heater, Air Conditioner, Refrigerator, any electric outlets that you may have had something plugged into, and especially the Water Heater. My suspicion is that while you are out, one of these appliances (or devices you have plugged into an outlet) is turning on and tripping that breaker. If you find nothing else running off of that circuit then your Converter is causing the breaker to trip and it is defective. If you do find something else on that circuit, then either that appliance/device is defective, or, your Converter is defective (or possibly both).

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really certain that the converter is on a separate breaker. Simple to find out. Open the control center and read the panel. You will find a breaker labeled for the converter. Turn it off, see what else turned off. I am 99.9% certain, that breaker is a dedicated breaker for that converter.

What you need to find out is that is it the breaker or converter. Without the right test equipment, you will probably not figure out what is wrong. Good equipment can tell you what the current is and can record the current. Assuming you don't have that, then the choice is replacing the breaker or replacing the converter. The breaker is far easier and cheaper too. If it still blows, then the next step is the converter. While checking that, you can inspect the wiring. The plug is at the back of the electrical panel and the if you follow the cable, you will find the converter. It can't be that far.

Anyway, it's a matter of taking a look see and if you do not have the tools to make a good diagnosis, the shot gun approach is the next best thing. All too often and I am sad to say, that what most professionals do.

Looks like your RV may be under warranty so reach out to the dealership. Expect them to say they can't duplicate it and nothing will be done.