User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel fuel additives

Been reading some drivers use diesel fuel additives,Hotshots been one of them mentioned that help fuel mileage ,is this just another rumour.As a rule I have never been a additive user,just wondering how much they are used and if they help.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Chevrolet 2500 hd,Duramax-Allison

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I had the CP4 recall done on my RAM I ran Hotshots at times ,
    Charlie but more for extra lubrication. I never saw one spec of additional fuel economy , and I record every tankful.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a long discussion with an independent diesel shop about this a couple of years ago. Their recommendation was to use something like Diesel Kleen with every fill-up - but largely for the added lubricity with the extra-low sulfur diesel fuels we have to run these days. They also recommended a winter fuel stabilizer if the truck was in "cold country" and would not be driven much over the winter. I'm not sure that any product will result in a significant increase in fuel mileage... at that's not why I use them.

During the winter, it's also best to keep the tank as full as possible. This is because air in the tank will expand and contract with temperature changes allowing moisture to enter the void and condense in the fuel.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Second Chance. I add Diesel Kleen with each fuel-up for the lubrication. I have read about folks that did not use additives and had to replace the high pressure fuel pump. Of course, my F350 is in the shop so I guess I should wait until I find out what is wrong with it before I say anything.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I add nothing. I think the additives are a waste of money. The guys and girls that built it don't suggest the additives...so I don't use any. I'll toss in some injector cleaner once a year....it's probably a waste of money too....lol
    Diesel fuel is much more lubricating than gas..more slippery...but...what needs more lubricating? Fuel pumps don't need it...so what else are we worried about lubricating here?
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 11-12-2022 at 06:10 PM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    Before I had the CP4 recall done on my RAM I ran Hotshots at times ,
    Charlie but more for extra lubrication. I never saw one spec of additional fuel economy , and I record every tankful.
    I did notice an improvement, but likely because of the CP4 recall. Truck had never averaged over 19.7 before CP4 replacement on first 25K miles. Hit over 21 from Virginia Beach to New Hampshire with new pump. Caveat, I used to use Howes (very popular in New England) but had switched to Hot Shot based on my son's experience with his 6.0L. I don't attribute any mileage increase to the additive and like you, I have every receipt with mileage at fill up tracked since we bought truck new. It didn't matter what I put in pulling the 310. Mpg averaged 9.7 for first trip, a tad higher 2nd trip, and over 10 on third. I still put an additive in but for dispersing any water and added lubrication.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpypapa View Post
    Been reading some drivers use diesel fuel additives,Hotshots been one of them mentioned that help fuel mileage ,is this just another rumour.As a rule I have never been a additive user,just wondering how much they are used and if they help.
    I have used Opti-Lube (Summer). Never that cold down here to use a winter blend. I use it for piece of mind since the LML has the CP4. Any added lubricity to help both the fuel pump (CP4) and the injectors live is good money spent. With the known GM 1/4 tank fuel line pickup issues, I also installed an Air Dog-4G lift pump to remove any air/water before it reached the fuel pump (CP4). The added micron filtration is also an added plus for piece of mind. No noticeable fuel mileage increase as others have also stated.

Dutchman2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 GMC 3500HD CC-SRW-SB Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I add nothing. I think the additives are a waste of money. The guys and girls that built it don't suggest the additives...so I don't use any. I'll toss in some injector cleaner once a year....it's probably a waste of money too....lol
    Diesel fuel is much more lubricating than gas..more slippery...but...what needs more lubricating? Fuel pumps don't need it...so what else are we worried about lubricating here?
    You are wrong about fuel pump not needing the lubrication. Lack of lubrication in the extra-low sulfur diesel fuels that we have here in the USA is the main cause of failure of the CP4 fuel pumps. I see you are from Canada and have a diffarant fuel blend there then we do in the USA.
    Last edited by robmcqueen; 11-12-2022 at 08:04 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    You are wrong about fuel pump not needing the lubrication. Lack of lubrication in the extra-low sulfur diesel fuels that we have here in the USA is the main cause of failure of the CP4 fuel pumps. I see you are from Canada and have a diffarant fuel blend there then we do in the USA.
    I don't have a diesel yet (my next tv) so I'm reading this to educate myself before I do get it. So my question is, if the fuel pump needs this added lubrication that's in the added additives then why isn't the manufacturer stating this? Since these engines are built in the USA or for manufacturers (GM, Ford, Dodge) that are in the USA, one would think that it would be design for diesel with USA blends. Just trying to figure thus out.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the Lucas Oil fuel additive in both by gas and diesel vehicles. No issues yet.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast