User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Well, the trailer is going to move...so I figured if I dragged the front jacks a 1/4" or 1/2" every time I 'break camp', they are going to break eventually.
    ^^^^This^^^^^. Raise the jacks a bit.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess we can all agree to disagree, not sure if there is any data supporting one better than another.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Guess we can all agree to disagree, not sure if there is any data supporting one better than another.
    Good morning! I was intrigued by the title of this post and the responses. As a person that's towed fifth wheel RVs for nearly 17 years over thousands of miles.....I have to say that I have never done the "tug test" as described. All of my fifth wheel towing experience has been with the B&W style hitches so I will note that up front. My last B&W in my 2008 and 2017 GMC long bed trucks locked into the gooseneck flip over ball hitch under the bed of the truck. That pin was locked through the hitch shank and then I had to torque down two u-bolts and one other fastener for that system. My new truck has the puck system which has all four corners locked down with 90* turn buckles and I have each of those locked in place with a small pad lock for visible safety and to keep the hitch a little more secure. My upper jaw assembly for the hitch has tractor style hitch pins which hold that head in place and cotter pins which keep those hitch pins from moving. My actual jaw which locks the RV king pin has a positive lock on that when it's closed and it's also pinned with a separate hitch style pin and lock pin to hold that in place.

I guess I am wondering.....are there lots of cases where these components are failing or are we talking mostly about operator error? I keep that hitch locked in and then positively lock the jaws and plug in the camper to the in-bed plug each time I hitch the camper. There are only a couple steps each time that I hitch and unhitch the camper. Am I missing something? After towing TTs forever before this...I could see those bouncing off.... if the hitch coupler was not locked in and even a hitch locking pin installed in those as well. Thanks!
    Last edited by COGrandDes; 11-17-2022 at 05:33 AM.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Good morning! I was intrigued by the title of this post and the responses. As a person that's towed fifth wheel RVs for nearly 17 years over thousands of miles.....I have to say that I have never done the "tug test" as described. All of my fifth wheel towing experience has been with the B&W style hitches so I will note that up front. My last B&W in my 2008 and 2017 GMC long bed trucks locked into the gooseneck flip over ball hitch under the bed of the truck. That pin was locked through the hitch shank and then I had to torque down two u-bolts and one other fastener for that system. My new truck has the puck system which has all four corners locked down with 90* turn buckles and I have each of those locked in place with a small pad lock for visible safety and to keep the hitch a little more secure. My upper jaw assembly for the hitch has tractor style hitch pins which hold that head in place and cotter pins which keep those hitch pins from moving. My actual jaw which locks the RV king pin has a positive lock on that when it's closed and it's also pinned with a separate hitch style pin and lock pin to hold that in place.

I guess I am wondering.....are there lots of cases where these components are failing or are we talking mostly about operator error? I keep that hitch locked in and then positively lock the jaws and plug in the camper to the in-bed plug each time I hitch the camper. There are only a couple steps each time that I hitch and unhitch the camper. Am I missing something? After towing TTs forever before this...I could see those bouncing off.... if the hitch coupler was not locked in and even a hitch locking pin installed in those as well. Thanks!
    The pull test is mainly to ensure the trailer is hitched properly. Not every hitch can be verified by visual confirmation that it is locked properly in place depending on the design. Also, if someone were to high hitch, they might have the perception they are hitched up, but in reality they arent, the pull test would help identify this condition. There is no pull test for a TT, but after locking the ball in, you could raise up on the tongue jack to make sure the trailer stays on the ball.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    The pull test is mainly to ensure the trailer is hitched properly. Not every hitch can be verified by visual confirmation that it is locked properly in place depending on the design. Also, if someone were to high hitch, they might have the perception they are hitched up, but in reality they arent, the pull test would help identify this condition. There is no pull test for a TT, but after locking the ball in, you could raise up on the tongue jack to make sure the trailer stays on the ball.
    Thanks. I wonder then if we took a poll of all those that tow fifth wheels.....what percentage do this "tug test" each time they hook up before traveling? It would be interesting to see the results.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group. The thread subject went to the "pull test" after initial hook up. Very good point. I raise the trailer legs slightly for the pull test... We have a check list of items when hooking up. My usual forgotten item is to extend - retract the mirrors on the truck.
    2021 Solitude S Class 3540GK
    F-350 DRW Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pulled a 39 foot travel trailer for 25 years. We got our first 5er a few years ago and everything changed...very little sway, and the semi trucks no longer suck me into them when they pass...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We put a piece of reflective tape on the jaw or our hitch. It was easy to see if the reflective tape and verify the hitch jams being completely closed. This was especially useful in the early morning hours with the use of flashlight.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been towing 5ers for over 20 years. Have always did a tug test, legs on the ground when I had the electric ones, I lift them slightly now that the legs are hydraulic.
    Use a B&W, best hitch of the three I've had. Some say you don't need a pull test with a B&W, I still do it, and visually check that the jaws are fully engaged around the pin, I'm just like my Border Collie-we both have our routines & they aren't going to change.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Thanks. I wonder then if we took a poll of all those that tow fifth wheels.....what percentage do this "tug test" each time they hook up before traveling? It would be interesting to see the results.
    I have a B&W Companion and I do a visual as well as a pull test. I leave the jacks down as it is very hard to raise the jacks a little bit with hydraulic jacks.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast