User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the B&W Companion for the last 15 years, and don't do a pull test. IME if the handle comes back into the locking position, you're hitched. I would certainly never tell someone not to do it, but, for me, it's unnecessary. With the B&W hitch, it's something you do for your own piece of mind, not out of necessity.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I've used the B&W Companion for the last 15 years, and don't do a pull test. IME if the handle comes back into the locking position, you're hitched. I would certainly never tell someone not to do it, but, for me, it's unnecessary. With the B&W hitch, it's something you do for your own piece of mind, not out of necessity.
    ^^^yep^^^

I used to do a pull test when I had a Curt hitch, but with the B&W Companion I don’t feel it’s necessary either. When the jaws lock, you’re good. Though I do confirm they are wrapped around the king pin.
    2020 GMC Denali 3500HD
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310-GK
    TST - TPMS
    B&W Companion 20k hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome to the group!
    Always apart of my safety check. I sold our Keystone and the guy never did a walk around safety check!!! He started to take off while still plugged in.
    MurphyIRE
    2021 Reflection 310 RLS (5th wheel)
    2018 F350 CC 6.7L 4x4, B&W Ford puck system

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Well, the trailer is going to move...so I figured if I dragged the front jacks a 1/4" or 1/2" every time I 'break camp', they are going to break eventually.
    I have the B&W hitch and even though some on here say the pull test is not necessary it is still something that I do. When the jaws close around the king pin, I follow the GD owners manual and put the truck in a forward gear, WITH NO GAS, and let the transmission pull the truck forward. The legs are still on the ground and they should not move. If you are moving them you are putting too much acceleration to the situation. I also them do a visual inspection when I get out of the truck. You only have to watch one video of someone dropping their rig on their truck to know that it is better to over inspect than to have it happen to you.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I idle it forward, but the truck will load the suspension and move the trailer, even with the wheels staying put. You are right, the legs don't move on the ground if you leave them supporting the trailer...but they do bend/give a bit.
    Next time try removing the load off the front landing gear, they can still be kissing the ground...and do your pull test. You will see them move.
    Is it damaging? Maybe not, but I think so.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123