User Tag List

Thread: Rettroband ?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rettroband ?

Friends of ours have a motorhome and just the other day had a sidewall blow out on the right front. There was no damage to the motorhome and Tom, the driver had no problems steering the vehicle. In a motorhome a blowout on the front is dangerous.

They had purchased something called Rettroband for their motorhome, and it is like a big rubber clamping insert on the rim inside the tire and acts like a run flat. National Indoor RV Centers across the country can install them. Ever heard of them? They have probably have been around for awhile I just didn't know about them because I don't typically look up motorhome stuff.
    The idea is so if a blowout, a driver doesn't lose control in steering, especially with a motor home front tire. I hadn't heard of these and so looked them up. Seems like a really good idea but from what I can see but they only have them for motorhomes. I watched a video where the manufacturer rigged a front tire to blowout at 70 mph. The tire was flat but the Rettroband run flat rubber insert kept the tire from fully collapsing and shredding too much and allowed for smooth steering to get to a stop. From the look of it there is no special tools required for a tire shop to install or remove to change a tire

I don't know how much they cost but they do have a lifetime guarantee. Maybe they will expand their offering to travel trailers. It may keep a rear trailer tire from shredding and damaging the RV and allow a driver to get the rig stopped without losing control when the trailer starts swerving.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 11-14-2022 at 01:23 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked up their website. I'd be curious to see how much they sell them for and by the looks of things, you can only get them at 1 of their 5 locations.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I just looked up their website. I'd be curious to see how much they sell them for and by the looks of things, you can only get them at 1 of their 5 locations.
    I went to their web site as well, It does appear that you can only get them at their locations. When our friends had their blowout it was not near one of the locations. They went to Lone Star Tire to get a new tire near Albuquerque and someone from National Indoor RV Center (NIRVC) told the tire shop how to get the tire off the rim and how to remove the Rettroband. From the video its real easy, its just different. The shop left the Rettroband out when they put the new tire on, their was no damage to the aluminum rim after the blow out. Then Tom & Stacie drove to the NIRVC Dallas location and they replaced the Rettroband with a new one, free of charge.

I was able to find the cost for Rettroband for a 295/305 tire size is $3595 for the steering tires (both front only).

Tom, the motorhome driver said when they heard the boom! he did not notice any reduced steering or pull of the steering one way or the other when the tire blew, except that the right front was a little lower than usual. They had the Rettroband's put in when they bought the coach new about 1.5 years ago, they now swear by them.
    Tom & Stacie "RV Texas Y'all" have a video up on U-tube about it.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 11-14-2022 at 02:04 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel