User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timlisajax View Post
    Hey Msgt - We had the disc brakes and IS installed in 2020 by Morryde. My only regret on the discs is that I didn't do it sooner. Since the install, I've had to make a few hard stops that may have resulted in an accident without the discs. Just my perception. We've also done some long descents in Wyoming and Utah and there was excellent braking on the camper with no sign of fading. I think you'll be amazed at the stopping power and won't regret your decision. Let us know what you think when you get the upgrade.
    We agree with everything said above, except our stories take place in the mountains of Kentucky and Tennessee. Don't think about it, just DO IT. No regrets.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I immediately noticed is that before the disk brakes I could feel the trailer pushing the truck. Since we installed Kodiak brakes with the Hydrostar actuator, now I feel the trailer pulling the truck back!! Very comforting. A blind freeway curve with stopped traffic made it all worthwhile.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Fez....exactly what I thought.

QUOTE=fez111;457247]We agree with everything said above, except our stories take place in the mountains of Kentucky and Tennessee. Don't think about it, just DO IT. No regrets.[/QUOTE]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had disc brakes on my 2019 303 for three years now and have over 20,000 miles on them. The extra stopping power and lower maintenance are amazing. I did the project myself using a Kodiak disc brake kit, Dexter electric over hydraulic unit, and I replaced all the bearings with Timken. I also replaced the 5200 pound axle tubes with 7000 pound axle tubes. This DOES NOT increase the GVWR of the trailer, however I wanted the thicker axle tubes to reduce bending potential with the terrible roads we drive on. The two tubes were only $424 and use the same hubs, bearings and grease seals as the 5200 pound axles. I put disc brakes on a previous Montana High Country 293RK with 5200 pound axles and I noticed after a few trips that two of the tires on different axles were wearing on the inside. This could've been a misalignment from the factory, however on several of our trips we had some pretty serious rough road. I had weighed fully loaded each truck and trailer axle and the trailer axles were right around 4700 pounds each. This is also pretty close to what my 303 axles weigh fully loaded. The Mor-Ryde system mentioned in a previous post is absolutely awesome, but was more than I could afford. One final note, last year I replaced my partially worn Westlake tires with USA made Goodyear Endurance and installed a TPMS system. I like the peace of mind of a solid running gear, as these are the things that can create a nightmare out on the road.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    The part number PTB provided is MKD 289. I googled this number and Duralast pads popped up showing semi-metallic pads under this number. I have not personallybtried these pads yet so I can't say the are exact replacements but this is the item PTB recommended. Maybe someone else on this forum can speak to the replacement pads they used.
    I recommend semi-metallic replacement pads. I bought my brakes from Stop Your Trailer and installed them myself. The MKD289 pads are the pads listed in the Titan (now Dexter) parts brochure. They were used in the front brakes in various GM A and J cars from 1982 - 1991 and there are tons of them in existence. For example, they were used in the 1991 Chevy Cavalier (J car) and if you look at a site such as rockauto.com you will find lots of different pads for this vehicle. I believe the GM part number was 12321424. When I bought my brakes, I ordered the Raybestos PGD289M pads and used them in place of the pads that came with the brakes since I wanted a more durable pad. They were available as a warehouse closeout item for $8.59 per set. Today, they are about $31 a set. There are a lot of different brands at different price points available. I now have 29,000 miles on the brakes and the pads look great.

Bill
    2017 Reflection 303RLS
    2017 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax
    Curt Q20 and R20 slider with GM factory pucks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased some suspension upgrades from Performance Trailer Braking at a rally where they did not have any installers available. I negotiated to have one of their installers meet us at a different RV park a few months later.

In trying to get my ducks in a row, I contacted the RV park to see if they would object to the work. They had a fairly short list of authorized mobile service techs and the main requirement to be added to that list was insurance.

This led to a discussion with PTB where I learned that none of their contract installers carry insurance, mostly because they work in multiple states. This led to some serious decision making about the risks of having someone working under my 15K lb rig without insurance. It went well, but I would look to do things differently next time.

I don’t think I’ve seen this issue discussed before about using PTB and wanted to share it.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Hey Tim and Lisa.....would LOVE to get the IS also, but, we have NOT won the lottery yet.
    As said, we have found NO negatives to getting it. Actually thought about calling Morryde also and checking prices.
    Part of or "disk brake" justification IS going to CO, WY, UT and aces north of KS. If staying in my area (flat lands), then probably wouldn't be thinking about it quite as much.

Thanks for your input.

Ray
    Morryde tandem axle, 7K IS with discs will run you in the $8-8.5K range. Had mine done 7/22. Highly recommended if you can afford it. Great people.

Good luck with whatever direction you go.
    2020 Solitude 382WB-R
    2020 F-350 Lariat CC DRW 6.7 Powerstroke

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Well, I've pretty much decided to get the disc brake upgrade from Performance Trailer Braking out of Norman OK. All my research shows me two things, that there is NO negative (except expense) to the upgrade to disc brakes and that the company, Performance Trailer Braking is a top notch company.

The only place and people I have yet to talk with about this is my Grand Design family. Has anyone else used this company and what were your result both pro and con AND.......any regrets on the disc brake upgrade?

Thanks to all.
    Ray
    I used performance trailer braking to do disk brakes on my 303 rls. I also upgraded my axles, springs, equalizer and shackles, plus installed morryde x cross members. I did all the work myself. It wasn't a difficult job. Pros? Just about everything you would expect. All the parts were there, upgrading to HD components = piece of mind for durability, increased load capacity and of course a better braking system that is easier to work on. Cons? I stuck a screw in the tire of my side x side from one of the packing crates that i missed picking up..pros? Screw is still in the tire a year later and its holding air😆
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    The first thing I immediately noticed is that before the disk brakes I could feel the trailer pushing the truck. Since we installed Kodiak brakes with the Hydrostar actuator, now I feel the trailer pulling the truck back!! Very comforting.
    Guess I'll be the odd man out here. With the stock brakes my trailer would pull the truck back too without reducing braking voltage. Seeing as I can lock the trailer wheels up, I can't see any advantage to the Kodiak disc brakes. Certainly don't need more braking strength/ability. All the parts are more expensive and there is less chance of spare parts being stocked by regular trailer shops if you break down. So how would a disk conversion help me? IMO, money is better spent elsewhere.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the Performance Trailer Brake kit installed on our 2018 337RLS at a rally this past April by John and Barbara Alinger (who have since retired I believe). No problems at all with the components or installation to date. Very happy with the performance of the kit and any future trailers we have will get disc brake upgrades as well.
    Steve & Katey
    Full time since 07/01/2022
    2020 Ford F-350 DRW (5361 payload)
    2024 Solitude 390RK (FBP and Morryde IS from factory)
    2018 Reflection 337RLS (Still got it!)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast