User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disc brakes on my 303

Well, I've pretty much decided to get the disc brake upgrade from Performance Trailer Braking out of Norman OK. All my research shows me two things, that there is NO negative (except expense) to the upgrade to disc brakes and that the company, Performance Trailer Braking is a top notch company.

The only place and people I have yet to talk with about this is my Grand Design family. Has anyone else used this company and what were your result both pro and con AND.......any regrets on the disc brake upgrade?

Thanks to all.
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Well, I've pretty much decided to get the disc brake upgrade from Performance Trailer Braking out of Norman OK. All my research shows me two things, that there is NO negative (except expense) to the upgrade to disc brakes and that the company, Performance Trailer Braking is a top notch company.

The only place and people I have yet to talk with about this is my Grand Design family. Has anyone else used this company and what were your result both pro and con AND.......any regrets on the disc brake upgrade?

Thanks to all.
    Ray
    Hey Msgt - We had the disc brakes and IS installed in 2020 by Morryde. My only regret on the discs is that I didn't do it sooner. Since the install, I've had to make a few hard stops that may have resulted in an accident without the discs. Just my perception. We've also done some long descents in Wyoming and Utah and there was excellent braking on the camper with no sign of fading. I think you'll be amazed at the stopping power and won't regret your decision. Let us know what you think when you get the upgrade.
    Tim & Lisa
    2012 Silverado SRW LB 3500 Duramax
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, IS, Kodiak Discs

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tim and Lisa.....would LOVE to get the IS also, but, we have NOT won the lottery yet.
    As said, we have found NO negatives to getting it. Actually thought about calling Morryde also and checking prices.
    Part of or "disk brake" justification IS going to CO, WY, UT and aces north of KS. If staying in my area (flat lands), then probably wouldn't be thinking about it quite as much.

Thanks for your input.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by timlisajax View Post
    Hey Msgt - We had the disc brakes and IS installed in 2020 by Morryde. My only regret on the discs is that I didn't do it sooner. Since the install, I've had to make a few hard stops that may have resulted in an accident without the discs. Just my perception. We've also done some long descents in Wyoming and Utah and there was excellent braking on the camper with no sign of fading. I think you'll be amazed at the stopping power and won't regret your decision. Let us know what you think when you get the upgrade.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tim and Lisa.....would LOVE to get the IS also, but, we have NOT won the lottery yet.
    As said, we have found NO negatives to getting it. Actually thought about calling Morryde also and checking prices.
    Part of or "disk brake" justification IS going to CO, WY, UT and aces north of KS. If staying in my area (flat lands), then probably wouldn't be thinking about it quite as much.

Thanks for your input.

Ray
    You're welcome! We paid just north of $7K for the IS, Kodiak brakes, a new rubber pin box and Timken bearings. That was in December 2020 so I have no idea what the same install would cost these days. We dealt with a Brian Hosinski, the Service Manager at Morryde. Extremely happy with Brian and the Morryde techs. A big decision for us was that we want this to be our last camper and want it to last. The prices of new campers and trucks are out of reach for us.

If you do decide to go with the IS (lots of other posts on the forum about it) at a later date, it may be worth a call to Brian to see if the disc install from Performance Braking can be moved from the axles to the IS assemblies. Don't know if the mapping for the brake lines would be the same or have to be modified. Sorry - thinking outside the box and hoping you win that lottery.
    Tim & Lisa
    2012 Silverado SRW LB 3500 Duramax
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, IS, Kodiak Discs

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The disc brakes are a no-brainer. I've never heard anyone express any regrets over that. I've also read quite a few reports/reviews by people who have used Performance Trailer Braking for the installation - not a negative report or review among them.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I don't have any experience with the shop you are looking to do business with as I lived in New Mexico when I had mine converted.

Second, we bought our coach in Ringgold, TN at Northgate RV, drug it over 1200 miles back to anyways, and had it in to McBride Spring and Suspension two days later to have them converted.

As a side note, I've converted all of my heavy trailers, both horse/livestock trailers and fifth wheel campers to disc brakes. When I was much younger, we were driving from rodeo to rodeo in Colorado with a 4 horse gooseneck trailer with drum brakes. I had a guy cut me off and hit his brakes. I almost rear ended him because the trailer kept pushing the truck. We ended up off the road, thankfully in one piece. On another circuit trip, I was pulling a friend's 6 horse gooseneck and had to do an emergency brake because of elk in the road. We stopped about 60' from the elk (I saw them probably 150' out). I asked him what he did to his trailer to make it stop so well and he told me his dad converted it to disc brakes a year or so before. This was in the late 80's. It made me a believer! I converted my 4 horse, my little 2 horse, and an old 1984 Dutchman 5ver to disc brakes, and as I said before, I've converted every trailer (except most of my flatbed trailers) to disc brakes and will continue to do so (or order them that way) on every new trailer.

Why I didn't order mine that way, at the time I ordered my 320MKS, Grand Design only offered disc brakes with the 8K axles and not the 7K ones that came stock (which in hindsight I should have upgraded the axles from the factory).
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 11-15-2022 at 02:49 PM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all.
    Ray
    I have disc brakes from Performance Trailer Braking and I am happy with what they did. They sell you the gear and arrange contract installers so I don’t know that you would have the same install experience. Ours was done just before the GD Rally because they were solidly booked during the event. The install took 3.5-4 hrs with 2 people. I had Morryde IS installed much later snd they were happy to move the brakes over to the new suspension. I did need to replace brake pads and one rotor at that time which surprised me since the mileage wasn’t that high.
    2018 Reflection 303rls, MORryde IS
    2017 Ford F-350 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob and belated "Thanks for your Service Sir."

UOTE=Second Chance;456734]The disc brakes are a no-brainer. I've never heard anyone express any regrets over that. I've also read quite a few reports/reviews by people who have used Performance Trailer Braking for the installation - not a negative report or review among them.

Rob[/QUOTE]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newbie here. What is IS? Independent Suspension?
    Bob & Mary
    U.S. Army, Retired
    DeLand, Florida
    2020 F350 SRW Platinum CC SB 6.7 Diesel
    2022 Reflection 303 RLS
    2017 Lance 2285 (Sold)
    1991 Coleman Sequoia (Sold)

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benton Harbor View Post
    Newbie here. What is IS? Independent Suspension?
    Yes. The most common type/brand on towable RVs is made and installed by MORryde, Inc., in Elkhart, IN. The technology is trailing link with rubber sheer springs and a shock on each assembly. MORryde's units come in 7K and 8K sizes.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast