User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaker Light Blew Out?

Hello,

Walking back to our 320MKS I noticed one of the speaker lights went out. Does anyone know what kind of fix this would require? Also, while I'm at that, I'd like to replace the horrible bright white awning light that attracts every bug in a 10 mile radius with one that changes color. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    Hello,

Walking back to our 320MKS I noticed one of the speaker lights went out. Does anyone know what kind of fix this would require? Also, while I'm at that, I'd like to replace the horrible bright white awning light that attracts every bug in a 10 mile radius with one that changes color. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Not sure if the speakers on your rig are the same as my 2019 337RLS but I was told by Grand Design factory service rep that the speaker lights are not replaceable that I would have to replace the speaker itself.
    As for the awning light I have two awnings each with a light tied into 1 switch. I was able to separate them at the light panel location and add a dimmer switch to each awning. Each light strip is spliced up at the top of the awning arm and slides into a plastic track, and that track is slid into the awning wall track. SLIDE the little plastic cover out of the end of the plastic lighting track... do NOT pry it out.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 11-15-2022 at 06:55 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is an opportunity to replace the speakers with better sounding ones...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also added a dimmer to our awning light and it made a big difference.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    We replaced our speakers with actual outside lights for the patio. The light strip is mostly hidden behind our kitchen slide when open, since the light strip is against the rig.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211202_111314.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	43857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211202_170338.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	43858
    Last edited by livinthelife; 11-16-2022 at 12:55 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    Do I replace the entire outside plastic cone and speakers? I'm not sure what would need to be done to replace the speakers.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do I replace the entire outside plastic cone and speakers? I'm not sure what would need to be done to replace the speakers.
    I replaced my outside speakers with 6.5" polk weatherproof speakers. The mounts can be found on Ebay.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they look like the ones in the link below, then yes you would replace the entire speaker. They are held in by 4 screws and sealed up with silicon around the edge next to the trailer. Basically just need to remove screws and old silicon, and possibly replace the OEM speaker connectors with the new speaker connectors which typically come with them.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Drive.../m514gbled.htm

We replaced ours with seperate 8" speaker shell mounts and 6.5" speakers listed below. The shell mounts needed to be drilled to hold 8 screws centered around the location of the old speakers and silicon placed around the mount/wall, and, i also purchased some rubber gasket material to be used between the speaker and shell. Then, just incase water did get inside the shell, drilled a small hole in the lowest spot of the shell for allowing drainage. Our factory speakers had drain holes as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0841...b_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BF...b_b_asin_title

Do a search on speaker replacement here on the forum. Several have written good posts on what they did to swap out the factory speakers with after market mounts and larger better sounding speakers.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    If they look like the ones in the link below, then yes you would replace the entire speaker. They are held in by 4 screws and sealed up with silicon around the edge next to the trailer. Basically just need to remove screws and old silicon, and possibly replace the OEM speaker connectors with the new speaker connectors which typically come with them.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Drive.../m514gbled.htm

We replaced ours with seperate 8" speaker shell mounts and 6.5" speakers listed below. The shell mounts needed to be drilled to hold 8 screws centered around the location of the old speakers and silicon placed around the mount/wall, and, i also purchased some rubber gasket material to be used between the speaker and shell. Then, just incase water did get inside the shell, drilled a small hole in the lowest spot of the shell for allowing drainage. Our factory speakers had drain holes as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0841...b_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BF...b_b_asin_title

Do a search on speaker replacement here on the forum. Several have written good posts on what they did to swap out the factory speakers with after market mounts and larger better sounding speakers.
    Perfect! This is exactly what I needed to know! Thank You! We will be doing the same thing!
    Ed & Kaitlin

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We suffered the exact same issue, one of the lights in the speakers went out. We chose to buy the mounts similar to the link above and put in new marine speakers with lights. I wish I had a pic to show the results. I used butyl tape around the inside rim of the mount and sealed it with silicone on the outside after as well.

One thing I did notice however was that the wires on the back side of the stock speakers were not tight and I am still not certain that the one for the lights on the "burned" out one had not just simply fallen off. I was already committed to replacing the works either way so never tested the stock speaker after the fact to confirm but it was a possibility. I crimped the connectors a little before re installing the new speakers to prevent any future wires from falling off by making sure the wires were tight.

We went with set of boss audio lighted marine speakers from amazon. They had a multiple color choice and a remote to change them. We went with a single color option direct wired skipping the remote and complicated wiring. The sound was night and day better with the larger speakers. The one thing I would recommend however would be to level your rig perfectly and use a tape measure to make sure your speaker mounts are "straight" haha. I used the home bosses eyeball level and results varied. We laugh about it because it gives the rig a little character now. It's not that far off but funny none the less.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast