User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody camped in the KOA in Key West Florida

Everyone,

I have been planning for a trip to the KOA campground in Key West Florida. Is Key West worth visiting at all. I am looking to hear from people that have actually been there. Any information would be great.

Thanks

Sean
    GMC Sierra 2500 HD short box with oem puck system
    6.6 litre Gas V8
    Grand Design Reflection 260rd
    Demco 18k Hijacker Hitch with 25k rail kit system

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmi96 View Post
    Everyone,

I have been planning for a trip to the KOA campground in Key West Florida. Is Key West worth visiting at all. I am looking to hear from people that have actually been there. Any information would be great.

Thanks

Sean
    It's worth a visit if you love T-shirt shops, gift shops, chintzy shops that sell cheaply made gee-gaws, and lots of drunk people from the bars. Yeah, we didn't think much of it. Lots of people like it though.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you might be happier in the middle keys if you never visited before. Something like Grassy Key or Marathon just before the 7 mile bridge.

We've been to the FL Keys A LOT. We now just stop in Key Largo as it has everything we want (fishing, snorkeling, diving, boat rentals, etc). But the selection seems a bit better and the area a bit nicer around Grassy Key.

Key West has become a dirty, drunken, smelly place over the years - my opinion only; and cruise ships stop there making the place even more crowded than ever (at least I think they are docking there again after the Covid mess. If you haven't been then you should visit for a day. Take the Trolly tour, you get on and off as you'd like - just leave real early in the morning to get there; US1 is really slow going.

Brush up on your Spanish. You can no longer be sure that everyplace you go and everything you want to do will be all English speaking (as was the case at Key Palms Campground in Key Largo and the place we rented a boat from.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    It's worth a visit if you love T-shirt shops, gift shops, chintzy shops that sell cheaply made gee-gaws, and lots of drunk people from the bars. Yeah, we didn't think much of it. Lots of people like it though.
    Well that's disappointing to hear, we're probably of the same mindset as far as the chincey shops and drunks galore. Was looking forward to going there for the beauty I imagine it is.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
    Well that's disappointing to hear, we're probably of the same mindset as far as the chincey shops and drunks galore. Was looking forward to going there for the beauty I imagine it is.
    Beauty!!?? Key West?? Maybe at one time, but I think that ship sailed, pun intended, a very long time ago. One thing to know about the keys in general, is there are few beaches. So you're not going to find a lot of beautiful beaches in the keys. Lots of water, and boats, but not many beaches. And lots of people, and traffic.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Beauty!!?? Key West?? Maybe at one time, but I think that ship sailed, pun intended, a very long time ago. One thing to know about the keys in general, is there are few beaches. So you're not going to find a lot of beautiful beaches in the keys. Lots of water, and boats, but not many beaches. And lots of people, and traffic.
    Amen!

However, if you’re a veteran with an eligible ID card, there is a Navy MWR campground at Sigsby Island with hook ups and a dry camping campground at Trumbull Point. Here is the link: https://get.dodlodging.net/propertys...est-Campground

The rules for base access have changed over the years, but Commissary, Navy Exchange (NEX) and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) retail facility privileges are extended to eligible veterans and their caregivers. Veterans who have a Veterans Healthcare ID (VA) that states they are a Medal of Honor, or Purple Heart recipient, a former Prisoner of War (POW), or indicates they have a service-connected disability are permitted to use these facilities on the installation.

Hopes this helps.
    Bob & Mary
    U.S. Army, Retired
    DeLand, Florida
    2020 F350 SRW Platinum CC SB 6.7 Diesel
    2022 Reflection 303 RLS
    2017 Lance 2285 (Sold)
    1991 Coleman Sequoia (Sold)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I am a veteran (Army infantry 84-87) but have no combat or medals and no medical card, Thanks for that information though maybe someone with those qualifications could read this.