User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing to Lithium Batteries

I have a 2021 381m and 2 standard batteries are toast. I had to wake up 3x overnight while boondocking to turn generator on for a little bit so they don't go below 12v. I have a few questions that I bolded in the post.

I'm torn on whether I should convert to LiFePO4 and what kind to get.

I have been using my trailer a few times a year at campgrounds (hence why I never noticed the bad batteries). We just boondocked for the first time and liked it so I imagine that will happen a few times a year now. So it's not like I NEED lithium batteries, but honestly keeping up with the water refilling has been a pain in the butt and possibly even what killed the batteries (it gets to 120 degrees here in PHX). Thoughts on this if it was you deciding?

Does my 2021 381m already come with everything needed for me to just drop the batteries in or do I have to change chargers or cables/wires?

I understand that with batteries you get what you pay for. But I'm wondering with how much I use them, what difference I will feel between the higher and lower quality batteries? For example I know Battle Born is $800+, while Ampere Time on Amazon is $350. HUGE difference in price.

Thanks guys!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    I have a 2021 381m and 2 standard batteries are toast. I had to wake up 3x overnight while boondocking to turn generator on for a little bit so they don't go below 12v. I have a few questions that I bolded in the post.

I have been using my trailer a few times a year at campgrounds (hence why I never noticed the bad batteries). We just boondocked for the first time and liked it so I imagine that will happen a few times a year now. So it's not like I NEED lithium batteries, but honestly keeping up with the water refilling has been a pain in the butt and possibly even what killed the batteries (it gets to 120 degrees here in PHX). Thoughts on this if it was you deciding?

Does my 2021 381m already come with everything needed for me to just drop the batteries in or do I have to change chargers or cables/wires?

I understand that with batteries you get what you pay for. But I'm wondering with how much I use them, what difference I will feel between the higher and lower quality batteries? For example I know Battle Born is $800+, while Ampere Time on Amazon is $350. HUGE difference in price.

Thanks guys!
    Most of the LiFePo4 batteries can be drop-in replacements. Your converter/charger may not be able to fully charge them, but that isn't critical to using them. Personally, I went with lower-cost batteries (Lossigy) and have been very happy with them. If you camp frequently in cold weather you might want to consider heated batteries.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys!
    You can't really go wrong with LiFePO4 batteries, regardless of boondocking or not. Just make sure you install a bus bar as well. To reduce your cost a little bit in the interim, keep your converter and buy a LiFePO4 battery charger and charger them to full that way.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will get a lot of opinions with LifePo4 batteries and what to get. I do believe companies like BB are way over rated. I'm not saying that they are bad, but you do not need a battery that could go to Mars without any problems, so why pay for that kind of build? They have their fans and say they are the best, but I too am willing to say mine is pretty good and have a lot more money left in my wallet.

I would not go with the cheapest battery. Somewhere in the middle is probably the best. I elected to go the DIY route. It's just the way I am built. When something goes wrong, you built the system so you probably can figure it out. It certainly is not for everyone.

I suspect the best way to find out what works for you, is to spend a few weeks reading up on LifePo4 batteries and understand why they work well for so many. Understand all the pitfalls [ie cold weather charging, cheap Chinese junk]. Will Prowse [Google it] has a lot of older video's but they are still relevant. He can be fairly simple which makes it easy to grasp. Especially if you are new at this. I believe his reviews are his honest opinion.

If you spend a couple hours a day for a week or two, you will know enough to make a decision that works for you. I think asking someone what you should do is a poor way to start out. What works for me, certainly would not work for everyone. Heck, it sometimes does not work for me.
    Last edited by Butcher; 11-17-2022 at 09:16 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears that Ampere Time and Chin batteries are performing well. Our Solitude has 300 watt solar setup with lead acid batteries (2) , 3k inverter .. When the time comes I will replace with Lifep04 battery. My Jaboni charger controller will probably be replaced too since I want to add more solar panels
    2021 Solitude S Class 3540GK
    F-350 DRW Diesel

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys!
    Here are a few posts that may help you decide...

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...tteries+coming

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...heaper+lithium

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...hium+lead+acid

I am glad you discovered Boondocking, personally, this is my preferred way to camp. Consequently, we invested in a robust Solar and battery system for our coach and really love the convenience of having power whenever and wherever we want it.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the chargers that come baked into our new rigs have the bulk charging voltage optimized for lead acid batteries. I believe some chargers can be modified for Lithium, but not all. SO, if you "just" put a lithium battery in, it will certainly charge but not fully. In reality, this can be a good thing as you will never overstress the lithium battery when charging. For me, I am not so concerned with how many years of life I get from a battery as in a few years lithium could be obselete and some new technology is available.

We have had several experiences where the campground power was too low to use. We have come to believe that campgrounds that offer FHU will pack the trailers in like sardines. The more hookups you forgo, the larger the site. To that end, we prefer no hookups at all and enjoy sites closer to water/views etc. It takes a good solar/battery system to support this. Other mentioned "Will Prowse"; google him and be ready for many youtubes of his invaluable work.

Now the battery upgrade is complete, how do you charge it ? Along comes solar, inverter etc.... Let the fun begin !
    2022 GD 2970RL (soon to be "released")
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_in_AZ View Post
    It appears that Ampere Time and Chin batteries are performing well. Our Solitude has 300 watt solar setup with lead acid batteries (2) , 3k inverter .. When the time comes I will replace with Lifep04 battery. My Jaboni charger controller will probably be replaced too since I want to add more solar panels
    Add REDODO (changed name from Zooms) to that list. I have been very happy with them!
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright guys. Thank you for all the input. After reading all the comments and linked threads, I am convinced on Lithium since I can get the cheaper ones (Ampere) for ~350 a piece.

My converter is WF-9855 which I believe is not optimized for Lithium. So looks like I will eventually need to get that. Otherwise, it sounds like it's completely plug and play?

One thing I'm just a little concerned about is the 32 degree charging. I don't plan on ever going in the REALLY cold, but when we went it was probably as cold as we would go and it dipped down to about 28-30 degrees in the middle of the night. Is this actually a concern since the batteries are inside the front compartment. As far as I know the underbelly does get some risidual heat from the furnace? But even if it didn't, I would assume it would be 5-10 degrees warmer inside regardless? Lastly, as long as the batteries are good, it's not like I will have to charge them in the middle of the night when it's coldest anyways. Any experience or input on this?

Any recommendations for a converter?

Last question is whether there is any reason to get 2 100ah over 1 200ah version?
    Last edited by timelinex; 11-17-2022 at 05:56 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    You can't really go wrong with LiFePO4 batteries, regardless of boondocking or not. Just make sure you install a bus bar as well. To reduce your cost a little bit in the interim, keep your converter and buy a LiFePO4 battery charger and charger them to full that way.
    I've attached a picture of my 381m. Forgive my ignorance, but iis't that already a bus bar on there in the backClick image for larger version. 

Name:	bus.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	43883?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast