User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack for truck with 5er attached

Need the best way to jack up the truck with the 5th wheel attached. Cut a tire last trip dodging a ladder and needed to change a rear truck tire. Luckily the DOT assistance guys pulled up while I was breaking the lugs loose and we used their floor jack to lift the truck for the change. I have 6 and 12 ton bottle jacks already but wondering if I would be better off with a floor jack. Jack point is too low on the front of the truck for the 12 ton otherwise I would just get the 12 ton safe jack adapters. I've removed the trailer tires plenty of times but this was my first rear truck tire change while hooked up.

I found a lightweight 3.5 ton floor jack but not sure about the weight rating requirements adding 1/2 my pin weight.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    2019 F250 FX4 gas with puck system
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    A German Shepherd and a Wife!
    Pullrite Superglide

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have very short bottle jacks. Personally I'd be looking at something in the 8-10 ton range, then you could also use it on the trailer. And it will store in a much small space than a floor jack.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just lower the front landing gear on the 5th wheel to take the load off the truck, provide a bit more stability and use the truck jack?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Why not just lower the front landing gear on the 5th wheel to take the load off the truck, provide a bit more stability and use the truck jack?
    ^^^This is what I did.^^^^^

Used the bottle jack that came with the truck..you know...the kind that takes a maddening number of turns to raise the truck? I use a an 8T bottle jack now. Factory jack is a back up.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'd have no problem using the landing gear but that ford jack is cumbersome to use. The flat I had was about the worst case scenario flat I could face. In a construction zone with barriers on both sides of the white line. No where to get to safely for a change. The wife saw where the workers were entering the interstate so we clogged that up. I was able to get the rig totally over the white line about 2 inches. I'm ever thankful that it was the best case of a worst case scenario but it definitely showed me I need to improve some things.
    Last edited by Bwood BBQ; 11-19-2022 at 06:46 AM.
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    Pullrite Superglide

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar situation on a hwy up here. No construction, but the gravel shoulder was only about 2 or 3 feet wide...so I couldn't get my truck and trailers off the road. I was B-training two trailers at the time.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwood BBQ View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'd have no problem using the landing gear but that ford jack is cumbersome to use. The flat I had was about the worst case scenario flat I could face. In a construction zone with barriers on both sides of the white line. No where to get to safely for a change. The wife saw where the workers were entering the interstate so we clogged that up. I was able to get the rig totally over the white line about 2 inches. I'm ever thankful that it was the best case of a worst case scenario but it definitely showed me I need to improve some things.
    Murphy's Law probably says it will always happen at the worst time or place.

Actually I carry a 6000 lb hydraulic bottle jack in the RV. Ya never know.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ended up going the 12 ton low profile with safe jack recovery kit. All the accessories work perfect with the Prolift 12 ton jacks. I already had the tall 12 ton so now I'm covered. Thanks again for the suggestions.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221202_144417.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	44040
    Last edited by Bwood BBQ; 12-02-2022 at 01:25 PM.
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    Pullrite Superglide