User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cold weather effect on batteries

I have a 2017 Reflection with two new batteries installed in August. They are Interstate 12 volt group 27 enhanced flooded deep-cycle.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/27m-efb

I have had them topped off on shore power/converter since August.

The trailer will be outside at a repair shop being serviced and will not be plugged in for a week. The temps will likely be lows near freezing. Is that likely to be a problem for these batteries?

Thanks

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The temps you describe won't be an issue for the batteries, per se. However, if left connected and not on a charger, the parasitic loads in the trailer may drain them. The battery cut-off switch does not disconnect all loads (CO and propane monitors, for example). To make sure the batteries are not drained below the threshold of recovery they would need to be disconnected at the negative terminals.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as they are completely disconnected from the trailer electrical system, i.e., a real Battery Disconnect Switch, you will be fine. Don't depend on the factory Battery Disconnect Switch unless you've checked it for complete disconnect.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokulele View Post
    I have a 2017 Reflection with two new batteries installed in August. They are Interstate 12 volt group 27 enhanced flooded deep-cycle.

The trailer will be outside at a repair shop being serviced and will not be plugged in for a week. The temps will likely be lows near freezing. Is that likely to be a problem for these batteries?

Thanks
    First, make sure the batteries are Fully Charged. Next, when the trailer arrives at the repair facility, the only way to keep them from likely going dead is to completely disconnect any load from them. A Battery Disconnect that comes with the trailer WILL STILL ALLOW the battery to drain down, as those "phantom" loads are up stream of the battery disconnect. So, between now and drop off time you can either add a battery disconnect that COMPLETELY isolates the battery from any circuit, or remove the Pos. lead or leads from the battery terminal itself. If you choose neither of those options, it is very likely that the batteries will be drained and possibly damaged.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments.

I'm thinking of maybe shortening my list of to-do's and have either their mobile guy come to the house, or have them do just the priority stuff and shorten the # of days. The week that I first mentioned was an outside guess of mine-I can talk to them and try for a tighter time-frame.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments.

I'm thinking of maybe shortening my list of to-do's and have either their mobile guy come to the house, or have them do just the priority stuff and shorten the # of days. The week that I first mentioned was an outside guess of mine-I can talk to them and try for a tighter time-frame.
    Why lower your expectations when some simple precautions will take care of the batteries? It doesn't take long to disconnect the leads at the battery terminals.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Thanks Rob. Heading south to Tucson next month.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point-I'll take that approach!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2023 GD is in an RV park that shuts off the house water and power from end of October to April 1st. The temperatures can get down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit. I was told by the technician to disconnect the batteries and store them inside my unit ????

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brento View Post
    My 2023 GD is in an RV park that shuts off the house water and power from end of October to April 1st. The temperatures can get down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit. I was told by the technician to disconnect the batteries and store them inside my unit ????

...or just disconnect them, they’ll be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast