User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rats! and lights?

I live in Kansas. I moved my trailer to Tucson AZ in October. Parked in the desert at a friends house on the outskirts of Tucson. Planning to return for the winter in January. My friend mentioned that rats are a problem and suggested I run led lights around the trailer at night to keep the rats away. I ran 200' of 16 gauge extension cord to the trailer to power led Christmas lights I put under the trailer.

That was 2 weeks ago. Today they called and said rats have chewed the extension cord in half in 4 different places. They are mounting LED solar lights around the trailer this evening.

We stayed in an RV park October when we took the trailer to Tucson. I noticed many of the trailers have outdoor lighting under them at night.

Is this lighting to keep rats away?

How much trouble am I in leaving my trailer sit in the desert at night (lights or no lights) ?

thanks,
    Dustin
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
    I live in Kansas. I moved my trailer to Tucson AZ in October. Parked in the desert at a friends house on the outskirts of Tucson. Planning to return for the winter in January. My friend mentioned that rats are a problem and suggested I run led lights around the trailer at night to keep the rats away. I ran 200' of 16 gauge extension cord to the trailer to power led Christmas lights I put under the trailer.

That was 2 weeks ago. Today they called and said rats have chewed the extension cord in half in 4 different places. They are mounting LED solar lights around the trailer this evening.

We stayed in an RV park October when we took the trailer to Tucson. I noticed many of the trailers have outdoor lighting under them at night.

Is this lighting to keep rats away?

How much trouble am I in leaving my trailer sit in the desert at night (lights or no lights) ?

thanks,
    Dustin
    In New Mexico people use bright white led lights in some of the state parks. I have been told bright white is what works but who knows if they work. Kangaroo and pack rats. I have some bright led lights I put under the hood of the truck when in rat areas. I find that rat traps work well but you have to be there. If the rats have chewed through the light cords then they have a bad rat problem. Rats can totally destroy a trailer. I hate rats. You may want to consider moving your trailer to someplace else.
    Last edited by Always Learning; 11-19-2022 at 05:34 PM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good lord, that's the first I've heard of such a problem! I don't like the sound of that at all. Mice sure, but rats so bad you have to light it up, yikes!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Natures best rat defense.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8EA31DC0-C2B4-4361-A90B-52B9CB72DCAF.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	43917

Probably unrealistic but I am always pleased when I see outdoor cats. They do great at controlling the rat population.
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Natures best rat defense.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8EA31DC0-C2B4-4361-A90B-52B9CB72DCAF.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	43917

Probably unrealistic but I am always pleased when I see outdoor cats. They do great at controlling the rat population.
    Coyotes around here love the kitties.....
    2019 Solitude 372WB FBP loaded
    2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 FX4 Long Bed Rapid Red
    1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    1968 Dodge Charger

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what you need. You can buy the one that attached to your battery or the type that you add batteries to.

I have been using them in AZ for 10 years and never had a problem. When I was a resident here my property was next to a wilderness area. First week moving in $1500. worth of damage to our vehicle wiring. After I got these never had another problem. During the winter I stay in AZ on a ranch property that does have pack rats but they leave my vehicles alone.

I have them on all vehicles and the 5th wheel. On the 5th wheel I use 3. Two battery operated ones and one that I attached to the house battery. Its funny how many people around the country ask me if they are alarm lights...lol

THEY WORK but you need them on the bottom.....some people put them on top of their engine bay in their vehicle. WRONG! You want them on the bottom so those pesky rats-mice dont climb up.

Anyhow.....you can get them on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Packrat-Roden.../dp/B010OCZLNO

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! Sounds like you may have created a new rat smorgasbord, LOL!

Here in MO our best defense is the native black snakes, and the defense business is a booming! Only problem with keeping the local posse in business, is the DW keeps killing them, and we aint talking about the rats, LOL!

Hope you find a solution..... Funny, I always thought FL was the aligator/rat/reptile capital here in the US? I guess they aint the only ones...
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll order some and get them installed. Thanks. Also looking for some black snakes I can put under with the wiring and storage tanks. Don't tell my wife, she would have a fit. We've left AZ now. Now in San Marcos TX. The trailer sat for 2 months but my friend installed solar yard lights all around so we made it out ok. Makes me wonder about the thousands of trailers I see parked near Quartzite AZ when I drive past there!!
    Dustin