User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planning a trip to Eastern Canada at end of Summer...

We just purchased a 26ft TT and are complete newbies. We had never spent the night in a camper when we took off from Key Largo to Alaska this past summer. We did the entire 4 month journey without advance reservations (15,550 miles). We winged it and wanted to stay loose with travel plans because again...we were newbies and had no idea how far we would make each day. We did a LOT of dry camping and boondocking.

I mention that because next Summer we would like to see the East part of Canada and Maine. We will leave from South Florida around middle of Aug. and hopefully hit the fall colors on way back at end of Oct. Since our trip will be at the end of Summer, after the kids go back to school, would you guys think it's ok for us to do this trip without reservations made in advance? Like Alaska and western Canada, we are not sure where we want to spend a bunch of time. I do plan on hitting PEI, Nova Scotia, Maine, etc... but not specific in details. Would like to do as much boondocking as possible but we understand there may not be nearly as much opportunity as Alaska.

Anyway...we need some guidance and suggestions regarding places to see and advice on not having reservations that time of year.
    Thanks guys.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anywhere there are leaf peepers there will be full campgrounds, so your plan on boondocking will likely be a plus for you. We tried to wing it starting in VA along the Skyline drive and at the first stop we were told nope, no room we're full. Not even National forest camping was available. 2 more hours to the closest spot other than Walmart. So spent the rest of the first night reserving areas we wanted to stop.

As for places to see in the NE I'll read suggestions along with you because this is an area we haven't been yet.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
    We just purchased a 26ft TT and are complete newbies. We had never spent the night in a camper when we took off from Key Largo to Alaska this past summer. We did the entire 4 month journey without advance reservations (15,550 miles). We winged it and wanted to stay loose with travel plans because again...we were newbies and had no idea how far we would make each day. We did a LOT of dry camping and boondocking.

I mention that because next Summer we would like to see the East part of Canada and Maine. We will leave from South Florida around middle of Aug. and hopefully hit the fall colors on way back at end of Oct. Since our trip will be at the end of Summer, after the kids go back to school, would you guys think it's ok for us to do this trip without reservations made in advance? Like Alaska and western Canada, we are not sure where we want to spend a bunch of time. I do plan on hitting PEI, Nova Scotia, Maine, etc... but not specific in details. Would like to do as much boondocking as possible but we understand there may not be nearly as much opportunity as Alaska.

Anyway...we need some guidance and suggestions regarding places to see and advice on not having reservations that time of year.
    Thanks guys.
    We went to the Canadian maritimes this past summer. We left (via Maine) in mid-August. The weather was getting really iffy in Nova Scotia northward at that time. Often rainy and cold. Many of the "main" roads we traveled on were already having weather related issues. Some campground do close up by late September/October. So it's not a bad idea to at least give them a call several days before you think you'd want to stop there to confirm they're open.

Going that far north in October, I don't think I'd do it.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, October would be a little late in my opinion. I would aim to finish up mid/end September.
    We did the Maritimes mid/late August without reservations a few years ago. IMO, you will be fine without reservations. Cape Breton Island is the best. Whale watching is great...depending where you camp, you can see them from your camper. There are some great non-reservable first come first served sites right on the coast. We were driving by, saw space and stopped for a couple nights. Saw whales while sitting at the fire. Some great beaches on PEI. Enjoyed that island as well. In NB, we stayed at New River Beach Provincial park. Not too far from Maine. Really enjoyed the Bay of Fundy shore.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year camping was great in October in NB and NS. I live in NB and camp from early May to late October. Of course it gets colder and the places to camp get limited but late in the season is our favorite time to camp. I don't boondock so i can't help you with that but I do know some of the campgrounds in all 4 Atlantic Canada provinces. It is best to call ahead to see who is open in October but there are some for sure. Happy to help if you would like more details.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2013 Outback 300RB
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm watching this. We're hoping to head up there in July to spend a month or more. So far I think I will plan/reserve things but I would rather just 'wing it'.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I'm watching this. We're hoping to head up there in July to spend a month or more. So far I think I will plan/reserve things but I would rather just 'wing it'.
    Depending on how you want to camp and where you want to go you could ‘wing it’
    We stay at Federal parks in NB because the price is low and sites are the best but weekends will be booked fully when the reservation system opens in the spring
    Private campgrounds on PEI will be booked every weekend as well
    Depending on the location weekday sites can be found especially if not needing sewer
    We live on the border with Maine and our Walmart here has 5-10 units in it every night so you could always do that as well
    Fundy National is one of the biggest attractions around here so I personally would prebook. PEI would definitely need reservations as well as Cape Breton Island
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Depending on how you want to camp and where you want to go you could ‘wing it’
    We stay at Federal parks in NB because the price is low and sites are the best but weekends will be booked fully when the reservation system opens in the spring
    Private campgrounds on PEI will be booked every weekend as well
    Depending on the location weekday sites can be found especially if not needing sewer
    We live on the border with Maine and our Walmart here has 5-10 units in it every night so you could always do that as well
    Fundy National is one of the biggest attractions around here so I personally would prebook. PEI would definitely need reservations as well as Cape Breton Island
    Thanks. I think we'll start near Quebec, work our way up along the St Lawrence Seaway (south side), around the Gaspé Peninsula, then onto PEI, to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, and finally New Brunswick before re-entering the US.

No Walmarts for us. I figured the Provençal parks would be the challenge and weekend always seem to be a problem everywhere that is of any interest.

I just started planning and was surprised how any of those parks I was eyeing. We'll see how this goes. I'll probably reserve a lot of places just for the peace of mind. The last time I tried to 'wing it' in Washington state, Idaho, & Montana it was a mess. I can't see Cananda being much different in spots.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to do the Cabot Trail loop in Cape Breton, NS.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Thanks. I think we'll start near Quebec, work our way up along the St Lawrence Seaway (south side), around the Gaspé Peninsula, then onto PEI, to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, and finally New Brunswick before re-entering the US.

If you can work it in, I'd suggest seeing Newfoundland, also. It does take a bit of advance prep, though, as the ferry to/from there has to be booked months ahead.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast