User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Extended trip philosophy? - Just curious

Reading all of the discussions (and all of the things we don't bring with us) has me wondering just how folks use their RVs on extended trips. If we purchased everything we've been reading about here, we'd need a larger RV and a dually. I understand the full-time and vacation home aspects, but for those who use it for extended trips, what is your philosophy?

We don't carry much in the way of outside amenities. 4 folding chairs, a table, small grill is really about it. Even the outdoor 'carpet' rarely gets used. The most we've spent at any one site is 6 nights and we were out and about during the days and most evenings exploring the areas we were staying in or visiting family rather than entertaining.

So as we start planning for next season I was curious what other's philosophies might be. I'm still in the mode of driving in a 1 night, 1 night, 2 night rhythm until we get to whatever destinations we want to spend some time at and sometimes I think that limits our ability to explore places we pass through. I only do about 250-300 miles a day so it takes quite awhile to get from NH to anywhere mid-US and then the same amount of time back.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great question. I think the answers will vary based on how people camp. All different types, and I be an not talking about boondocks vs full hookups, more about what the activities will be. The longest we have been at one location was about 10 days and it has a mix of activities and just hanging out at the campsite. It also depends on the number of people in your party and whether or not meeting up with other campers. Note that I set the stage here is my answer.
    Like you we do have minimal gear, two chairs and small drink table, 1 6 foot table, grill, fire pit and carpet. Depending on where we camp the generator may come along.

We have clothes for all four seasons and never had issues with using a laundromat as needed

So for food we have lots of non perishable stuff keep well stocked. Fresh stuff e will set out with about 2 -3 days and get what we need s as we go. Same for drinks.

In a way it is better to do it this way for us so we don’t get all caught up in making sure e have “everything”. If e are going dry camping there is always a store nearby. Have not been boondocking yet, but hope to one I get my electrical upgrades done.

Hope this helps.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV'ing is different for everyone. We tend to be somewhat minimalistic as we still consider it going camping. We rarely stay at RV parks and boondocks 90+% of the time. The longest trip to date is two weeks to GTNP, then YNP, then to visit friends in McCall, ID. We typically beeline tour destination in a day or two to maximize the time spent out our destination. Time behind the wheel varies based on weather, type of road, time of year, etc.. I think 300 miles is good for most people most days.
    2022 Momentum 351M
    2022 F450

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Reading all of the discussions (and all of the things we don't bring with us) has me wondering just how folks use their RVs on extended trips. If we purchased everything we've been reading about here, we'd need a larger RV and a dually. I understand the full-time and vacation home aspects, but for those who use it for extended trips, what is your philosophy?

We don't carry much in the way of outside amenities. 4 folding chairs, a table, small grill is really about it. Even the outdoor 'carpet' rarely gets used. The most we've spent at any one site is 6 nights and we were out and about during the days and most evenings exploring the areas we were staying in or visiting family rather than entertaining.

So as we start planning for next season I was curious what other's philosophies might be. I'm still in the mode of driving in a 1 night, 1 night, 2 night rhythm until we get to whatever destinations we want to spend some time at and sometimes I think that limits our ability to explore places we pass through. I only do about 250-300 miles a day so it takes quite awhile to get from NH to anywhere mid-US and then the same amount of time back.
    We typically go out at least once a month for a week or so. Often with our RV group (every other month), but also on our own. We do mostly full hookups, but have done boondocking on occasion (max time on that 5 nights).

We travel 200 miles per day when traveling, but some times it has to be longer, when you get in an area (upper mid-west, I'm looking at you) that there aren't a lot of campgrounds. When we need to get from point A to point B, we prefer 1 night/2 nights traveling.

The longest trip we've taken to date was this past summer we left home May 18 and arrived back home September 19.

Like Redapple, we have a fairly full dry/canned foods stash, and get fresh foods as we need them.

We're not real big "sit outside every night" people, but we do have camp chairs, and a patio mat (that one hasn't been out much, however). We have two generators and solar that sees us through dry camping quite nicely.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 11-21-2022 at 11:07 AM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our extended trips are for touring, not for staying in one place, and we don't bother with boondocking (although we do dry camp if necessary for a night or 2); we like hook ups.

Since we travel from FL to points west and NE we drive about 200 to 300 miles per day until we get to the area we intend to do a 'deep dive' in. Our stops along the way are convent to our travel route. Then our days exploring/sightseeing/touring consist of 10 days to 1 day depending on what we want to see and can be from 60 miles to 120 miles in between stops. It goes on like this from 4 to 7 months and when it's time to go home we do the same 200 or so miles per day.

We don't take a lot. Groceries and supplies are purchased along the way. We don't do a lot of camp set-up; just a small grill, 2 folding chairs and a small table work fine for us. 1/2 of our storage area seems to be hoses and cleaning supplies (for truck and RV); the other half has 2 folding chairs, 2 bag chairs, sat dish, grill. We do carry a folding table (aluminum that folds to very small, a patio pad (that is almost never used), and a few other odds and ends as I recall. The bays are not stacked from floor to ceiling. oh - 2 ebikes on the back.

So, I guess we're minimalists. If you looked in our rig and in our storage bays you would find empty cabinets and lots of more space in the storage area. No appliances except a coffee pot on the counter (stored when traveling), nothing like some RVs we've visited where there is no counter space left or room to move. It helps that we don't have pets.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 11-20-2022 at 08:46 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we road trip we have the usual chairs, mats , small table , charcoal Weber grill (18"). Depending on direction (like heading west) we take a propane fire pit to enjoy a fire if there is a ban. We don't always set it all out, if we're in an area for just a few days it all stays packed. If we stay for a week or longer which is often (I like to explore areas to see whats around, not just the tourist highlights) we'll set up more stuff but not like we're moving in. Never in a rush to get to the next spot, relaxing when we need to or want to. I like to plan in extra days here and there for down time or just because something to do might catch our eyes that we did not know about.

Canned goods and spices are always packed and ready to go, perishables we get as we need or if parked for a week and have the space I'll get enough meat for 5 days or so. OR if it's something we really like and not available everywhere we'll grab extra if there is room.
    We pack clothes for 3 seasons and layer if we get stuck in a 4th... as a rule we avoid anything or any place winter like.

When we winter in FL for 6 mos we treat it like a 2nd home, head to the same spot and get rooted. Set up everything including my 3 burner Camp Chef (it stays in FL,the beast is to big and heavy to drag around)
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been the weekend type and then this year did a full multi-month cross country trip. I generally pack the generator, an extra propane tank if I expect to run the generator (done some no hookup sites), a small Weber propane grill, and a couple chairs. Sometimes we bring a couple meals, often we buy at destination.

Beyond that, it’s just clothes and gear for whatever we are doing (hiking, beach, etc). Plus the stuff I always have in the trailer - electrical stuff, water hoses, drill for the jacks, wd40, sewer stuff, and I carry a bottle Jack. I added a small kit of plumbing and electrical tools/parts prior to the 10k+ mile journey, but it isn’t more than 10-15lbs.

We have friends who travel a lot like us, and friends who like to get somewhere and unload the whole pickup bed with a cooking/hangout setup that would rival most backyard decks!

I do think, now that I’ve already replied, that your question may apply more to the fifth wheel group. But even full-time for us right now, we have really only added the normal items you need on an everyday basis (more clothes, dishes, etc)
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 11-20-2022 at 11:13 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    edited (by mistake) - by traveldaw (who is now in the dawg house.....)(
    I have made a HUGH MISTAKE.......

I went to quote @ajg617 and instead hit EDIT. (us mods can do that). And I didn't realize it until I hit save - by which time I cause irreversable damage to the original post.

I am SO SORRY!... argh... I should ban myself.
    Relax Larry - no problem

I'm going to leave in the edit I made - otherwise this ends up being an empty post. argh... going into the shame-on-me time out corner now.......

All great input - don't feel like we are off the path too much.....

Stayed at a number of Harvest Host locations which we like doing.
    easier to do when you have the genset built in... always off the beaten path for us so we don't use them; but we hear they are nice.

Too many clothes
    yeah - I'm a 'cloths horse'. Funny not the DW, just me.

leaning more toward provisioning more food along the way
    funny - sometimes we measure "provisioning needs' by the duration between where we are and the next time we are near a Walmart.

post on fire pits started to get me thinking...
    I guess I'm going to put it and the extra propane tank in the truck bed. I suppose I have room in the big bay but lots of room in truck bed. Guess I need a bag for it now. These "things" - always a money pit....

It's a long drive to get out of New England and anywhere west ....
    try leaving from FL to go anywhere west. It takes us an overnight stop in FL before we even leave our state!
    Last edited by ajg617; 11-21-2022 at 09:09 AM. Reason: oopps... major malfunction editing instead of quoting......
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We aren’t much different from others. When we go on an extended trip we plan to grocery shop weekly, we bring enough clothes for a week or so and use the laundries as needed. We bring 2 folding chairs, a little table for our small gas grill, a collapsible ladder (that I haven’t used in a couple of years), our satellite dish, and the other normal hoses and cords. We don’t normally spend a lot of time sitting around camp, we travel to places with sightseeing so we usually prefer to kick back in the evening for little while before we get ready to sleep.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are heading to Glacier, Yellowstone, etc for the month of June 2023. We don't pack a lot of extras other than clothes. Gas grill, Blackstone, ice maker, coffee maker, 4 chairs, grill table, 20lb propane tank, bottled water are about it. I'll leave the bikes and carpets here. A lot of 1 or 2 night stays. 3 nights in Rapid City; 4 nights in West Glacier; 3 nights in West Yellowstone; 3 nights in Grand Tetons; and 3 nights in Colorado Springs. Most drives are < 400 miles/day. Stay at KOAs mostly for convenience.

Will be in Myrtle Beach for 5 weeks in Jan/Feb 2023. For that the carpets, bikes, and beach gear go.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast