User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, we do 2 x 3 week trips per season and weekends here and in between. The 2 big trips are mid May into early June and the other in September. We pack clothes for 3 season unfortunately but hit the laundry mat once or twice. Pantry is stocked and perishables every 3 days. Fridge is small anyway. Lol. Last season I carried a small grill and new blackstone (trying it out). Next season the grill will stay behind. We also carry a small smoker. We like to cook. And geny, basic tools (maybe the equivalent of 2 milk crates) some spare parts (fuses, some pex fittings, basic electrical, 1 set of bearing and springs) maybe the equivalent of 1 milk crate. 2 chair and a small roll up table, outdoor carpet. Oh and 2 bikes. We like hiking, biking (both nothing extrem) and sightseeing. We try to stay 2 nights, but sometimes it's just 1. Longest so far has been 3. WE WANT TO SEE IT ALL. Lol. Longest driving days is 4 maybe 5 hours but that includes a lunch brake. Our biggest days is out by 9 and in by 3, happy hour at 4. During those 3 week trips will take 2 maybe 3 relax days where we stay at the campsite and hit the laundromat and smoke something. We have an inside joke where we say if we can make our way back to the trailer without the help of a map or GPS then it's time to pin and go. There's just so much to see which is why we're thinking of going FT in 2 years. Oh and in travel days where it's only 1 nights we try to use HH and BW. More then 1 night its a CG.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been Rving for many years but were always limited to weekend excursions and the occasional week stay at the coast.
    This year we took a 10 day trip to YNP & GTNP. We were not traveling with a group so we had to think a bit differently.
    I am a tool guy so I make sure I have what I think we might need. Compressor, Impact Gun, good assortment of tools.
    We only carry two lawn chairs and our Blackstone grill. I did carry more water than usual this trip 2/3 of a tank. We also upgraded to Lithium batteries and a new charger converter. We don't boon dock but wanted greater battery capacity just in case.

Our longest day was almost 500 miles. I won't do that again. We will adopt the 300 mile rule next time.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    Our longest day was almost 500 miles. I won't do that again. We will adopt the 300 mile rule next time.
    Right there with you on this! We will very occasionally go longer with good reason, but otherwise I can do about 360 miles on one tank of fuel and try to limit each day accordingly.

One example of what I consider a good reason for breaking this rule was the opportunity to make game two (which ended up being the final game) of the college World Series this year. It was worth it.

Only caveat we found was that if we had back to back to back to back driving days, it got old. Either spending an extra day at an intermediate stop or going a little further and eliminating a day became our plan. We usually added the extra day so no more than 2-3 back to back driving days.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very interesting topic for a newbe retired guy planning on long/longer term trips in the coming year. Gives me insight as to realistic vs speculating miles/hours on road.
    As it is now I really don't PLAN on going more than 200 miles per travel day but that is more based on economics of the day to be honest. If I were to be able to, I think I might run more miles , but really IDK but enjoy reading all of your posts on the subject.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Long Days Planned!

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    Right there with you on this! We will very occasionally go longer with good reason, but otherwise I can do about 360 miles on one tank of fuel and try to limit each day accordingly.

One example of what I consider a good reason for breaking this rule was the opportunity to make game two (which ended up being the final game) of the college World Series this year. It was worth it.

Only caveat we found was that if we had back to back to back to back driving days, it got old. Either spending an extra day at an intermediate stop or going a little further and eliminating a day became our plan. We usually added the extra day so no more than 2-3 back to back driving days.
    Our trips are normally 7-12 days, but have been out as long as 28 days (round trip AR to YNP, GNP, then west coast). We have planned one long day in our travels across this country - from Spokane, WA down to Eugene, OR. Think my GPS showed about 460 miles...so thinking conservatively that would take a max of 8 hours at 60 mph. Well, we got stuck in a (normal from what I hear) traffic jam going through Portland, OR, and it took us about 10 hours to make it to our RV park. Never again! We plan on 350 miles or less.

Our carrying list is very similar to others. Normally 7 days of clothes, then hit a laundromat somewhere around day 5 or 6. Dry goods stay packed in pantry at all times. Never know when we get free from babysitting grandkid and can hit the road for a quick trip.
    2012 F-250 6.7L Diesel, SRW
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent years traveling to the job site and living in hotels. No matter how long you're gone, you pack for one week max and do laundry once a week. I can fit it all in a single carry on bag. I can also still recite that packing list. Once you get the rhythm you can go forever. I'm a bit sloppier packing now, but if we are out more than a week we plan on doing laundry.

We unload all the dry goods into storage boxes and bring them into the house when we are home. No food in the trailer! If you do one box for each shelf or drawer, loading and unloading is really fast. Plus we can restock at our leisure. Our most common trip is 12 days, leave on a Sunday, get home on Saturday. For those and shorter trips we plan a "menu" for about two thirds of the nights and pack for that. For longer trips we plan dinners three or four nights at a time and shop as needed.

For driving we usually do 200-250 miles a day, but have done ~400. On big trips we'll have a destination or destinations where we stay 4 - 10 days (10 is longest so far) and often reserve spots ahead. But for the travel, we've come up with a combination of pre-planning and winging it that works for us. before we go we lay out a general route and then pick stopping points about every hundred miles. I find two campgrounds and one free site within about 20 miles of the stopping point. Normally we do two "legs" each driving day. So we plan on that for our time table. A typical day is to roll out between 9 and 10 and stop for lunch at the end of the first leg. During lunch we'll decide which previously identified place we want to stay for the night and call in a reservation if needed. Sometimes I'm ready to stop driving after the first leg and its no big deal to quit. Sometimes, if we had interstate miles or left a bit early, we don't pick a stopping point till the end of the second leg. We still take about a half hour break at the second stop. In our vernacular two legs is a "normal" day, one is a "good" day, three is a "full" day. I've done two "bad" days. I'll only do that if something changes necessitating and earlier arrival at the endpoint. We really slow it down while towing, 60-65 and avoid freeways. Without the trailer, 400 miles is a normal day and 600 is a good day.

Oh, I use Recreation.gov, ReserveAmerica, RVParky, and Freecampsites.net to look for places to stay. Our preference is state parks. Not all of them are on ReserveAmerica
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve & Sheryl View Post
    I spent years traveling to the job site and living in hotels. No matter how long you're gone, you pack for one week max and do laundry once a week. I can fit it all in a single carry on bag. I can also still recite that packing list. Once you get the rhythm you can go forever. I'm a bit sloppier packing now, but if we are out more than a week we plan on doing laundry.
    I'm waaay on the other side of the spectrum. When road tripping the last thing I want to do is laundry once a week. My rule is bring 3 weeks worth of underwear and tips (jeans or shorts can be worth more than 1 day) that gives wiggle room to do laundry every 2 to 3week. Works out great if we really find lots to do along the way. Or if the laundry facilities are gross. At a laundry mat the time it takes is close to the same as doing a weeks worth. Just a little more to fold and hang up
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I'm waaay on the other side of the spectrum. When road tripping the last thing I want to do is laundry once a week. My rule is bring 3 weeks worth of underwear and tips (jeans or shorts can be worth more than 1 day) that gives wiggle room to do laundry every 2 to 3week. Works out great if we really find lots to do along the way. Or if the laundry facilities are gross. At a laundry mat the time it takes is close to the same as doing a weeks worth. Just a little more to fold and hang up
    WHAT - no ironing!!???
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    WHAT - no ironing!!???
    I don't have clothes at home that require ironing. Why would I have them in the RV? That said, I do have a iron in the RV, just in case, you never know.

We tend to bring about a week to 10 days worth of clothes from home, but we do have a few things (extra t-shirts, sweaters, jackets) that stay in the RV. That way we can wash (depending on whether the campground has a laundry) about every 12 days, or so. Biggest issue is the campgrounds we plot out to do the laundry in can sometimes only have 1 or 2 washers and dryers. It can be difficult to actually do that much laundry at once and we have to sort through the dirty stuff to wash the "important things" first.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    I don't have clothes at home that require ironing. Why would I have them in the RV? That said, I do have a iron in the RV, just in case, you never know.
    Just sayin'...but this makes no sense livinthelife....get rid of the iron...lol
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast