User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    My single 12V deep cycle that came with the RV 4 years ago is starting to get a little long in the tooth. We do almost no boondocking or operating off the 12V system; we're almost always on generator or shore power; I really only need the battery for the "spike" loads (bringing up the landing gear, starting the generator, etc).

I'd like to move to lithium to get a longer lifespan and get rid of the venting into my generator bay. I'd also like to get a slightly higher voltage because I think I'm having problem with too much 12V dip on my water pump.

We do a lot of winter camping in temps down to, at lowest, maybe 10-15F. So I need something that can take the cold, either a heated battery or heating pads on the battery (or a battery that has a cutoff to stop itself from charging at low temps).

Also, I want a "single battery" solution, so I need to make sure whatever I get will be able to provide enough juice to raise the jacks and start the generator. Finally, I'd love some suggestions on a new converter (or, if not really necessary, please let me know)

Requirements:

1) Can start generator/operate landing gear (has enough instant amps to handle these loads)
    2) Low temp protection and/or heated
    3) 100A capacity (or more)
    4) Cost

Option 1:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ampere-Time-S...0747b8daf&th=1

But I'm not sure a single one of these will be able to start the generator/run the landing gear. If I need more than one, I'm thinking:

Option 2:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BCKJLB3N...&pd_rd_plhdr=t

With something like this to keep them warm:
    https://www.amazon.com/Facon-Trailer...a-592926797724

Thank you!
    With your usage, you definitely need a Lithium battery with either a Cold Temp cutoff, or a heated battery. Another option is to place your battery inside a heated hold, or somewhere inside the coach, like inside a closet, or under the bed or dinette. This keeps your battery from getting to 32 degrees (or below). If you have your coach in storage and the temps drop below 32 degrees, you do not need to be concerned about damaging the battery, because, you will not be charging the battery while your coach is being stored. The Cold Temp limitation with Lithium batteries is that they can not be charged below 32 degrees, however, they can still be discharged.

Here is a recent post about finding cheaper Lithium batteries:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ium-Batteries?

I recently did a search for Black Friday deals and found several 100ah Lithium batteries for $258

At $258 for a Lithium battery, why would you consider an AGM battery?

Here is a post asking that exact question:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...cid-Batteries?

Let us know which way you decide.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    At $258 for a Lithium battery, why would you consider an AGM battery?
    I agree the low cost lithiums are attractive, and I will be on the lithium bandwagon myself very soon. Especially for off grid applications, the lithium depth of discharge is a significant advantage and may in fact result in a lower total cost due to needing fewer batteries. IMO, with the OP's particular application being described as always on shore or generator power, AGM is worth a look because it would be a simple and low cost drop in solution that fits the OP's requirements of: sealed, cold tolerant, and a single battery with sufficient generator starting amps. The less expensive 100Ah lithiums are typically not heated, so you would have the added cost and complexity of either heating it or moving it to a heated space, and are limited to 100A max discharge rate. AGMs can burst high amps, do not need to be heated, and also would not need a converter upgrade.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wound up buying the ACDC, low temp cutoff (but not heated), which, for my purposes, is fine. I don't need to charge in really low temps, I just need to make sure I don't try to charge in low temps (hopefully that makes sense!).

Installed it the other day, dead simple, the 100AH version fits right in my existing battery box. Pulled out the vent, which, thankfully, frees up some space. No issue starting the generator, haven't tried the landing gear yet but I suspect it'll be OK (generator starter is a bigger load).

I decided to try it with my stock converter and see if I need/want more and, well, found something very interesting. Logged into the web OneControl the other day and the battery voltage is reading 14.6. It was always high 12-low 13's with my LA battery. I have no explanation for this, but 14.6 is "full charge" on a lithium so.... Got me, maybe my 351 already had a lithium capable charger (I bought this RV new, and haven't changed the converter, so if it has one, it came from GD that way). I did kick off and run the generator (wanted to make sure the battery could handle it) for a test, maybe there's a charge that came in from the genny that's high enough voltage to get it fully charged?

I really don't know/can't explain it. I'll report back if I have any problems, but, so far, seems to do what I was hoping it would.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battery Voltage After Lithium Install 12-9-2022.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	44115

Link to the battery I bought (100AH, which, as I write this, is out of stock):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Wound up buying the ACDC, low temp cutoff (but not heated), which, for my purposes, is fine. I don't need to charge in really low temps, I just need to make sure I don't try to charge in low temps (hopefully that makes sense!).

Installed it the other day, dead simple, the 100AH version fits right in my existing battery box. Pulled out the vent, which, thankfully, frees up some space. No issue starting the generator, haven't tried the landing gear yet but I suspect it'll be OK (generator starter is a bigger load).

I decided to try it with my stock converter and see if I need/want more and, well, found something very interesting. Logged into the web OneControl the other day and the battery voltage is reading 14.6. It was always high 12-low 13's with my LA battery. I have no explanation for this, but 14.6 is "full charge" on a lithium so.... Got me, maybe my 351 already had a lithium capable charger (I bought this RV new, and haven't changed the converter, so if it has one, it came from GD that way). I did kick off and run the generator (wanted to make sure the battery could handle it) for a test, maybe there's a charge that came in from the genny that's high enough voltage to get it fully charged?

I really don't know/can't explain it. I'll report back if I have any problems, but, so far, seems to do what I was hoping it would.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battery Voltage After Lithium Install 12-9-2022.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	44115

Link to the battery I bought (100AH, which, as I write this, is out of stock):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks for your update, let us know how things work out going forward.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CanBat Lithium Heated Battery a good idea but...

Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    That CanBat is quite pricey, $1,400 for 100 Ah.
    Yes I didn't go that route for that reason, they are a Canadian company based near me so I did check them out but yes it was to pricy.
    You may have been on the Canadian website and the price was in Canadian dollars but still...
    I did like the idea though, I stayed away form a heated battery because of the idea of it draining off over time, heating itself well above freezing. I am in the Pacific NW so not that likely to happen but still it is to much hassle for the rare occasion it was necessary.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A Laxdal View Post
    Yes I didn't go that route for that reason, they are a Canadian company based near me so I did check them out but yes it was to pricy.
    You may have been on the Canadian website and the price was in Canadian dollars but still...
    I did like the idea though, I stayed away form a heated battery because of the idea of it draining off over time, heating itself well above freezing. I am in the Pacific NW so not that likely to happen but still it is to much hassle for the rare occasion it was necessary.
    Can't you just turnthe heat function off?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also have a look a Renogy, they are quite reasonably priced even via Renogy Canada and have A comma port built in so you can monitor from the app or even get their new RenogyOne panel and have a nice wall mounted screen (needs the Bluetooth module added).

The heated version is on sale for $799 CDN right now:

https://ca.renogy.com/100ah-12-volt-...ting-function/

i have the non heated version and being a Victron lover was pleased to find out someone had modified the VenusOS on the Victron Cerbo GX and older Venus units to talk directly to the Renogy battery so I can see it’s stats right on my touch screen, phone or cloud connect (VRM). All I had to do was buy the Renogy RS485 to USB cable and plug it into my Victron CerboGX. Loving this.

—-

I may consider trying out the RenogyOne system since unlike Victron they can talk to all their devices via Bluetooth which is handy in an RV since running cables is a pain but the subscription options have me waiting as well they have not released all their new inverters that support Renogy One:

https://youtu.be/5qtaVsf8_QE

Just a warning about their system, while initially it’s cheaper than Victron, Victron does not have any subscription fees and lets you fully access the OS at root level of their devices. So after a year or so, your getting back to the Victron price anyways.

—-

Will Prowse did a tear down on the Renogy batteries a whole back and had high praise for them and it is certified to UL standards as well as others.

https://youtu.be/aahHWaV6Zdk

I like the fact they have a Canadian warehouse that ships usually same day and they come on sale all the time. Now that the Renogy One system is out you can actually fully control a bunch of systems in your RV right from the wall mounted display though the product is in its infancy.

On the more expensive side you can go Battleborn heated but here in Canada they are horribly priced. I personally am not a fan of Battleborn because they have no external connectivity to their BMS (yet) so it can’t be monitored. If they ever do come out with a BMS Link of some type I’ll look at them again.
    Last edited by Thorvald; 12-11-2022 at 10:30 AM.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12