User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little help on a modest lithium changeover

My single 12V deep cycle that came with the RV 4 years ago is starting to get a little long in the tooth. We do almost no boondocking or operating off the 12V system; we're almost always on generator or shore power; I really only need the battery for the "spike" loads (bringing up the landing gear, starting the generator, etc).

I'd like to move to lithium to get a longer lifespan and get rid of the venting into my generator bay. I'd also like to get a slightly higher voltage because I think I'm having problem with too much 12V dip on my water pump.

We do a lot of winter camping in temps down to, at lowest, maybe 10-15F. So I need something that can take the cold, either a heated battery or heating pads on the battery (or a battery that has a cutoff to stop itself from charging at low temps).

Also, I want a "single battery" solution, so I need to make sure whatever I get will be able to provide enough juice to raise the jacks and start the generator. Finally, I'd love some suggestions on a new converter (or, if not really necessary, please let me know)

Requirements:

1) Can start generator/operate landing gear (has enough instant amps to handle these loads)
    2) Low temp protection and/or heated
    3) 100A capacity (or more)
    4) Cost

Option 1:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ampere-Time-S...0747b8daf&th=1

But I'm not sure a single one of these will be able to start the generator/run the landing gear. If I need more than one, I'm thinking:

Option 2:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BCKJLB3N...&pd_rd_plhdr=t

With something like this to keep them warm:
    https://www.amazon.com/Facon-Trailer...a-592926797724

Thank you!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your option 1 will work. I've read good things about Amperetime, and that's the route I plan on going when I get my 398. I had a Lions Energy 105AH in my last Momentum and it had no issue starting the generator or running landing gear. The Amperetime says it has a 100A continuous discharge rate with a 5 sec max 280A rating, should be more than enough for generator and landing gear. I havent read any reviews regarding the self heating option.

If you're changing your converter, you shouldn't need anything super powerful with a single 100AH battery. When I did mine, I swapped to a Progressive Dynamics 9160 lithium version. It worked well and should be a direct swap since your stock converter is probably 55A. If you do swap, verify the wiring supports whatever current the new converter is rated for.

I also added a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor which was nice to see the status of the battery, they also offer a BT smart shunt which does the same thing, but without the little display box.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank FT!

Poking around a little more, here's an interesting option:
    https://www.amazon.com/ADCBATT-3500-...9GLTLZ5B/?th=1

This has a low temp cutoff and is close to 1/2 the cost of the heated battery. Watched a teardown and it was decent quality inside (and the low temp worked perfectly).

I assume this is the converter you're using:
    https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-D.../dp/B07DP3X16F

I agree, for my use, no reason to go crazy on the converter, I have plenty of time to fill up the battery.

I'm kind of wondering, for my use case, if I need to change the converter at all? I don't need the full capacity of the battery, isn't that the difference (a standard converter won't put out enough voltage to get a lithium battery to 100%)?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Thank FT!

Poking around a little more, here's an interesting option:
    https://www.amazon.com/ADCBATT-3500-...9GLTLZ5B/?th=1

This has a low temp cutoff and is close to 1/2 the cost of the heated battery. Watched a teardown and it was decent quality inside (and the low temp worked perfectly).

I assume this is the converter you're using:
    https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-D.../dp/B07DP3X16F

I agree, for my use, no reason to go crazy on the converter, I have plenty of time to fill up the battery.

I'm kind of wondering, for my use case, if I need to change the converter at all? I don't need the full capacity of the battery, isn't that the difference (a standard converter won't put out enough voltage to get a lithium battery to 100%)?
    I dont know about that battery, havent looked at any reviews. I do know with Amperetime, if you have warranty issues, there is an office based out of California that is your point of contact, with some of the other smaller brands, I'm not sure about the warranty process.

I had a coworker who had 2 100AH lithium batteries in an Imagine and never changed the converter. He boondocked exclusively and never seemed to have any issues. If I recall, he didnt have solar either, brought a portable generator to charge batteries.

When I did my swap, I opted for the converter change, I think it was in the low $200 range. I probably could have kept the stock converter, but figured why not swap to one made for the battery I was installing.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your use profile based on your original post, I'd suggest starting with a single heated battery, the Amperetime should be a good choice. I don't think you'll need to swap the converter since your stock converter will charge the battery to about 60% which should be enough for how you plan to use it.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like most of your questions have been answered. On the water pump , a permanent fix is installing a 12 volt Bosch style relay at the pump. Run a fused hot leg to the relay ,
    From the battery , ground the other side of the coil , output to pump , and use the original power wire to the pump to switch the relay. There is just too much on the original , small feed wire to the panel.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noticed that Canbat has a heated battery that with the low temperature cut off for charging but unique in that it will not run the battery down when it is cold, instead it senses shore/generator power when you go to charge it and uses the shore power to heat up the battery and then allows it to charge.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A Laxdal View Post
    Noticed that Canbat has a heated battery that with the low temperature cut off for charging but unique in that it will not run the battery down when it is cold, instead it senses shore/generator power when you go to charge it and uses the shore power to heat up the battery and then allows it to charge.
    That CanBat is quite pricey, $1,400 for 100 Ah.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little help on a modest lithium changeover

I think you have 3 options:

1. Replace with standard flooded lead acid battery
    2. First of your options was the 50ah Ampere Time, lowest cost to entry for a lithium iron phosphate. But you may need to swap out converter.
    3.Adcbatt lithium option with low temp cutoff, bit may still wish to change out converter.

With your use case, I would recommend going with another fla batt., however if interested in Lifepo4 I would go with option 3 listed above.

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 11-28-2022 at 07:53 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered AGM? AGM can handle high discharge rates and are cold tolerant. Renogy has a 100Ah AGM on Amazon for $190. Advantages of lithium are they tolerate greater depth of discharge and are lighter weight, but does not sound like these are drivers for your application.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast