Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Twin City members....

Your opinion please.
    We will traveling through the cities in mid January. We intend to wait for a clear few days for driving. Coming from the north, what would be the likely best route to head through or around?
    I have often taken I35E in the summer months, no issues then. Would it still be decent in winter time? 694/494 a better option? Another way to go to end up going south on I35?
    Thanks for any insights
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Your opinion please.
    We will traveling through the cities in mid January. We intend to wait for a clear few days for driving. Coming from the north, what would be the likely best route to head through or around?
    I have often taken I35E in the summer months, no issues then. Would it still be decent in winter time? 694/494 a better option? Another way to go to end up going south on I35?
    Thanks for any insights
    You are pretty familiar with winter weather in general, based on your location information. I live almost right next to the junction of I35E and 694 (I could walk to it!) Either will be just fine. 35E has a permanent section of slow speed, and weight restriction, near downtown St. Paul. I've pulled my trailer down it, but am unsure as to whether the weight restriction is for commercial vehicles only, or all vehicles. No tickets yet! They both receive equal attention for clearing, sanding, salting after a storm, so no difference on that front. During commute time, the 694 route has the edge - going south on 35E can get much more stop-n-go. Mid day and late evening it is fine. If there has been a storm, both are some of the very first roads to be cleared, and get great continued attention as needed.
    I'll let you know - we head south on the same roads right after the first. But I left my trailer down there this fall...so won't have to tow through any possible ice/snow.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'm familiar with winter driving...just not while pulling a trailer..lol
    Thanks for the feedback sande005. When you say mid day, would you say between 10 and 2 would be good on either hwy?
    We are thinking of doing the same as you next year. Leaving the trailer down there. We plan on going to the Circuit of the Americas in Austin TX for the Formula One GP next October then finding a place to store the trailer in the area for a few months.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 11-22-2022 at 03:47 PM.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'm familiar with winter driving...just not while pulling a trailer..lol
    Thanks for the feedback sande005. When you say mid day, would you say between 10 and 2 would be good on either hwy?
    We are thinking of doing the same as you next year. Leaving the trailer down there. We plan on going to the Circuit of the Americas in Austin TX for the Formula One GP next October then finding a place to store the trailer in the area for a few months.
    Those hours are about right. Coming from the north, things get backed up in the morning (7am-9/10am) on 35E until you get past the I94 interchange next to downtown St. Paul (everyone going into the city to work!). In the evening (4-6 ppm), the backup starts at the interchange and goes south (everyone leaving downtown and going south to go home). But that is true any weekday of the year. 694 has the same issues, but the stop-n-go moves a bit faster....

We've always wanted to snowbird, but digging the trailer out of a snowbank and then towing in the snow and ice has been the big impediment. Guess I have to buy a second, one for summer, one to keep south for winter.....[NOT!]
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to TX, then you likely would head south through IA on 35? If that's your goal, the shortest and fastest route is 94 from north of the cities to 494 toward Bloomington, and 35 South out of the state. With all the lane additions over the recent years, it'll be good mid-morning to mid-afternoon.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    If you are going to TX, then you likely would head south through IA on 35? If that's your goal, the shortest and fastest route is 94 from north of the cities to 494 toward Bloomington, and 35 South out of the state. With all the lane additions over the recent years, it'll be good mid-morning to mid-afternoon.
    We just did this route, from Rochester, MN. Just a warning, the bridge transitions on I-35 in Iowa are the worst ones we've encountered yet.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will coming down I35 from Duluth. Be briefly in TX, but heading to the Apache Junction/Mesa area. Just figured going relatively straight south initially to get out of the snow/salt region, then angle west around Kansas City. Not sure if K City is fine to drive through or go around..sure looks like a spider web of hwys. But like the Twin cities, guess it's all in the timing.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    We just did this route, from Rochester, MN. Just a warning, the bridge transitions on I-35 in Iowa are the worst ones we've encountered yet.
    Toss the trailer and pop the kitchen drawers open kind of transitions?
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Riverbug says, this is a good route if you are coming from the Northwest (from St Cloud). However, you will encounter a daily backup In Bloomington due to the interchange at I494 & I35W. Begins about 2:30PM and continues past 6:30 PM. If you are coming through from the Duluth area I35E will be a better route. The weight restriction on I35E is intended for commercial vehicles, I believe. I have towed this route many times with my Imagine travel trailers as well as my current Solitude. No issues, except for the daily rush hours slow down sande005 already mentioned. Safe travels.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toss the trailer and pop the kitchen drawers open kind of transitions?
    Well, let's just say I have Sumo Springs on both the truck and trailer and the MorRyde Rubber Pin Box, and got enough chucking that I was concerned. I did find that if I grab the brake controller about a second before the transition, it stopped the chucking (keep in mind I have disc brakes). But, the down side of that is it smokes the tires and puts more wear on them.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast