User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. We plan on making it to Owatonna the first day because there is a large parking lot between the Comfort Inn and Cabelas. It will be a long day, about 9-10 hours, but I want to get on snow free roads as soon as possible. Not sure where snow free starts, but I'm looking forward to it. Winter in Canada, well, sucks.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    We just did this route, from Rochester, MN. Just a warning, the bridge transitions on I-35 in Iowa are the worst ones we've encountered yet.
    That's funny because when we went to FL for the first time last winter the bridge deck transitions seem to get worse the further south we went. Someone told me it's because they don't have the winter freeze/thaw cycles to damage roads like we have in MN so they don't have to redo their roads as often; therefore, as the roads settle the transitions get worse over the years. Don't know if it's true but sounded logical.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    We will coming down I35 from Duluth. Be briefly in TX, but heading to the Apache Junction/Mesa area. Just figured going relatively straight south initially to get out of the snow/salt region, then angle west around Kansas City. Not sure if K City is fine to drive through or go around..sure looks like a spider web of hwys. But like the Twin cities, guess it's all in the timing.
    Okay, yep, then 694 around is best. Just go midday, roads aren't quite as nice and there will be more traffic (not as many lanes). But hey, it's a city and unless you want to add lots of time to take back roads all the way around there isn't too much you can do about it.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    That's funny because when we went to FL for the first time last winter the bridge deck transitions seem to get worse the further south we went. Someone told me it's because they don't have the winter freeze/thaw cycles to damage roads like we have in MN so they don't have to redo their roads as often; therefore, as the roads settle the transitions get worse over the years. Don't know if it's true but sounded logical.
    I'm not sure, I just know that the transitions in Iowa were the worst we've hit so far. We went from Minnesota to Oklahoma City (won't even talk about the concrete roads there) to Albuquerque to Kerrville, TX. Second worst roads were Oklahoma City then Albuquerque.

We head to New Orleans in a few weeks, then to Florida, so more highways to check out.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I'm not sure, I just know that the transitions in Iowa were the worst we've hit so far. We went from Minnesota to Oklahoma City (won't even talk about the concrete roads there) to Albuquerque to Kerrville, TX. Second worst roads were Oklahoma City then Albuquerque.

We head to New Orleans in a few weeks, then to Florida, so more highways to check out.
    Haha! I guess you'll get a chance to compare and see what you think. It was after that trip that I decided to install shock absorbers on the trailer over the summer. Hoping they'll make a difference on our next trip down.
    Chad

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in the Twin Cities area and usually leave for vacation late Jan to late Feb.
    Be flexible on your schedule is my best advice. MN is good at road maintenance in winter (usually). We look at the forecast and leave before any major storms. Same for coming home. For example last year we waited a day to go through Iowa because there was a major storm forecast. Roads were good to fine the next day but there were A LOT of cars in the ditch and places where semis had gotten towed out.
    And we have driven for OK to MN in a single day to beat a storm.
    Regarding freeways in MN, they are usually plowed well and salted. Sometimes though it gets below zero and salt doesn't work well.
    Just pay attention! Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12