User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question on solar charge controller

Just got our reflection 278 BH, it has the Furrion MPPT solar charge controller. I am storing the camper for winter and removed the battery for storage I also turned off the battery kill switch.
    The controller is still getting power from the panel on the roof so lights are on the controller. Is this dangerous or damaging to the controller to have a voltage input without any battery connected.
    I read in the manual for the installation of the controller it states "Never connect the solar panel array to the controller without connecting a battery to the controller first"
    Should I disconnect the sailor panel at the quick connects on the roof top as well. Am I damaging anything now while this controller is still getting power from the solar panel.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
    Just got our reflection 278 BH, it has the Furrion MPPT solar charge controller. I am storing the camper for winter and removed the battery for storage I also turned off the battery kill switch.
    The controller is still getting power from the panel on the roof so lights are on the controller. Is this dangerous or damaging to the controller to have a voltage input without any battery connected.
    I read in the manual for the installation of the controller it states "Never connect the solar panel array to the controller without connecting a battery to the controller first"
    Should I disconnect the sailor panel at the quick connects on the roof top as well. Am I damaging anything now while this controller is still getting power from the solar panel.
    The reason for the warning is the potential electrical surge when a load is connected to the charge controller with panels hooked up. If it's a battery, it's a very remote possibility that the battery could "explode".

If installed correctly, there should be a kill switch between the charge controller and the battery bank or between the panels and the charge controller. If Grand Design or the dealer did the install, you probably don't have this kill switch.

When you go to go the battery back up, climb on the roof and throw a tarp over the panels, that will effectively kill the from generating electricity and hooking up the battery(ies) will be safer.

The other items to consider is the positive side of of the charge controller grounding out on the frame or metal inside the compartment, that will most likely damage the charge controller as I don't think it comes with overload protection built into it; anything if it's fused, it'll blow the fuse.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering about that as well.

I asked the dealer about it, and they said that they come that way from the factory. I used electrical tape the positive cable connectors, so they won't ground out on the frame.

There is nothing about it in the charge controller manual either.
    Last edited by Castlerock; 11-21-2022 at 01:41 PM.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So there is no harm to keep the solar panel connected. The controller was installed by Grand Design(I assume) and there is no kill switch for the controller but there is a battery kill switch, which I did disconnect before removing battery. I believe but not certain that the battery kill switch is between the battery and the controller because the dealer told me during the walk thru that if I turn it off the battery would not get a charge.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
    So there is no harm to keep the solar panel connected. The controller was installed by Grand Design(I assume) and there is no kill switch for the controller but there is a battery kill switch, which I did disconnect before removing battery. I believe but not certain that the battery kill switch is between the battery and the controller because the dealer told me during the walk thru that if I turn it off the battery would not get a charge.
    That is possible, but to be certain, grab your multimeter and check to see if there is voltage at the connectors with the kill switch in the off position. If there is none, you are fine.

I'm not 100% sure, but Grand Design must wire the charge controller into the kill switch then, but that means the rest of the system might still be powered by 12vdc. Personally, I would install the charge controller directly to a second cutoff switch, then directly to the battery(ies). Just me. Then again, there are a bunch of wiring things I would do differently if I were putting my coach together my myself, but I digress.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will dig further with my multimeter. I agree with you and if it is wired so there is a 12v to the rest of the system then I will install another kill switch for that.
    Thanks for the insight.