User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the charger, I did some research between keeping the existing inverter charger in the coach (which is lead acid or AGM), supplementing with a LiFePO4 charger, replacing with a Progressive Dynamics LiFePO4 compatible inverter charger, and going full tilt with the Victron MultiPlus II.

The first option, keeping the existing inverter charger would be okay, short term as it will never top of the LiFePO4 battery(ies). I just hate leaving potential on the table.

The second option, when compared to the third option, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. For a good LiFePO4 battery charger, that includes a "float charge" runs about $100.00 on Amazon. Yes there are much cheaper ones on Amazon but they lack features, such as the float charge capability. The PD LiFePO4 inverter charger runs between $240 and $300. So, to my way of thinking, I'm throwing away $100.00 on a charger when I upgrade the inverter charger.

The final option is the mother of all of them, but at the cost of between $1,000 and as much as $1,400 is a bit stiff.

When we get more into boondocking, I'll go this route, but for now, when I upgrade to LiFePO4 batteries, I'll go with a PD inverter charger.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think for converter/charger OR Multiplus comes down to camping/living style. I have no interest in a multiplus because when boondocking, I'm not watching TV, I'm hiking or fishing or hunting or building a fire to sit by. Other camping style I'm plugged in..so..no need for the Victron. So something like the PD9160ALV will suit me.
    But if I was full time and a lot of boondocking, the Victron would be the way to go....imo.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    Now for the charger go ahead and get a Victron Multiplus II and be done with it.
    Good suggestion - that's my plan.
    signature

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not leaving much on the table. I just did a test with the stock converter on my 29RS and it charged the LifePo4 battery to 13.7v/3.42 cell voltage. Using the voltage as a SOC on a lithium battery is not the best way, but it was pretty darn close to 100%.

https://cleversolarpower.com/lifepo4-voltage-chart/

The biggest advantage with a lithium charger is a faster rate of charge and if you elect to go with a larger capacity, it's only going to charge that much faster.
    Last edited by Butcher; 11-25-2022 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    You not leaving much on the table. I just did a test with the stock converter on my 29RS and it charged the LifePo4 battery to 13.7v/3.42 cell voltage. Using the voltage as a SOC on a lithium battery is not the best way, but it was pretty darn close to 100%.

https://cleversolarpower.com/lifepo4-voltage-chart/

The biggest advantage with a lithium charger is a faster rate of charge and if you elect to go with a larger capacity, it's only going to charge that much faster.
    I read your "test" It was setup to get the result you wanted.
    It took 8 to 12 hours (you don't even know exactly) to charge the battery... That right there is pretty bad. Now do this "test" under camping conditions where you are living in it and using 12V to power lights, TV, furnace etc. You will never see a full charge under those conditions.
    For those that need to observe campground generator hours, this will NOT work.

You also know that using voltage to determine SOC is not a reliable method. Use a shunt based battery monitor, for reliable results
    Last edited by huntindog; 11-25-2022 at 06:42 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I would expect that someone would poke holes in my set up. I am willing to see what other people's tests are. Anyone that feels they did not get their monies worth, I will be more than happy to refund their ticket price, because I am in a good mood, I will double your money back.

The test was to confirm if a stock converter could charge up the battery and I think I proved that it it was pretty much full. I also was trying to point out that it could certainly charge up a battery more that 53%. I think I did that fairly well too. If I was to prove how long it took, I would have certainly got out a timer. Heck, I do not know how low the batteries were before I started. As I mentioned before, the goal was to show if a stock converter would charge a lithium battery more than 53%. If people were expecting more, sorry to disappoint.

I believe I pointed out that the speed of the charge would not be as fast as a lithium rated converter. I also pointed out that voltage is not a good way to measure how the SOC of a LifePo4 battery. I think those that have researched lithium batteries would agree when you are talking about the discharge and charge end of the scales, it is pretty much good enough. I do not know of any BMS that uses a shunt to determine when to stop the discharging or charging of the battery. Since none of them do, I will willing to accept the voltage per cell is a good enough standard for me to follow too.

A shunt works great to determine if you are anywhere between 10-90%, which is why I have one in my system.

Understanding that my battery was over 300ah, that is about 3x the size that people are usually looking at, I would expect people would take that in consideration, I guess I was wrong.

I would suggest that others follow my lead and make their own test. Share their results and then with everyone chipping in, we can all improve this group we are in. I would interesting to find out what other peoples findings are. I certainly have better things to do than to perform more tests to prove I am right. I do have plenty of time to look at other peoples tests and review their findings.
    Last edited by Butcher; 11-25-2022 at 07:37 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    And I would expect that someone would poke holes in my set up. I am willing to see what other people's tests are. Anyone that feels they did not get their monies worth, I will be more than happy to refund their ticket price, because I am in a good mood, I will double your money back.

The test was to confirm if a stock converter could charge up the battery and I think I proved that it it was pretty much full. I also was trying to point out that it could certainly charge up a battery more that 53%. I think I did that fairly well too. If I was to prove how long it took, I would have certainly got out a timer. Heck, I do not know how low the batteries were before I started. As I mentioned before, the goal was to show if a stock converter would charge a lithium battery more than 53%. If people were expecting more, sorry to disappoint.

I believe I pointed out that the speed of the charge would not be as fast as a lithium rated converter. I also pointed out that voltage is not a good way to measure how the SOC of a LifePo4 battery. I think those that have researched lithium batteries would agree when you are talking about the discharge and charge end of the scales, it is pretty much good enough. I do not know of any BMS that uses a shunt to determine when to stop the discharging or charging of the battery. Since none of them do, I will willing to accept the voltage per cell is a good enough standard for me to follow too.

A shunt works great to determine if you are anywhere between 10-90%, which is why I have one in my system.

Understanding that my battery was over 300ah, that is about 3x the size that people are usually looking at, I would expect people would take that in consideration, I guess I was wrong.

I would suggest that others follow my lead and make their own test. Share their results and then with everyone chipping in, we can all improve this group we are in. I would interesting to find out what other peoples findings are. I certainly have better things to do than to perform more tests to prove I am right. I do have plenty of time to look at other peoples tests and review their findings.
    This new info makes your "test" even more useless. You have no idea how low the battery was to start with, and only a range of 8-12 hours to what you proclaimed full according to your admittadly unreliable SOC method....And yet you now proclaim that others that have real life experience with this are wrong, and you are right.
    Also time to charge is a real consideration. In a camping situatation if you cannot recharge in a realistic time frame while living in the camper you will at some point run out of power.
    Under real camping situations, the 53% figure is realistic... A test such as you performed to prove a point is useless as you cannot camp that way....Unless you vacate the camper by pitching a tent next to it and living in it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which leaves the door wide open for you to perform some tests to clear all of my shortcomings. I look forward to the results of your tests.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on boys get along , we are here to help each other out. I have learned so much from you guys on this forum on different subjects . I like to be hands on do it myself can’t afford to take it to dealer every time something is wrong or have questions.
    My Trailer is a 2020 Momentum 320G
    Truck 2019 Chev Silverado 3500 LTZ 6.6 box Duramax
    Firestone airbags rear

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    And don't forget, you can still discharge the battery or use it below 32°, but you wouldn't be able to recharge it if it's still below 32°. If I remember correctly, discharge temperatures are around zero degrees....maybe slightly lower, depending on what the manufacturer says.
    I think for now I am going to just get one battery, change the converter and deal with cold as needed. I think if I get a good BMS system I won't have to worry about low/high temps because it won't allow it to charge/discharge from what I see.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast