User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automatic Change Over Propane Regulator

Ours says it has to be done manually when the supply cylinder is empty even though the manual calls it "automatic change over". The one on our Montana did do it automatically. Our manual does not mention setting for auto switchover. Does the current valve auto switch if left in the "pointing down" position as in the pix?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails auto change over valves.jpg  
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    2022 F150 Platinum 1777# Payload
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours has to be pointing left or right, depending on which tank you want to use than after that one is empty it will automatically switch to the other tank. Ours is a flame king for reference.
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you set the regulator toward a tank that tank becomes the PRIMARY feed. If both tank valves are OPEN then when the Primary tank is depleted the indicator will turn RED and the regulator will now switch to the other tank.. The indicator will stay RED until you turn it to the tank that is now feeding the regulator

I run mine with one secondary tank valve closed. When that primary tank is empty I KNOW that I still have one full tank to use

Running with both tanks open you HAVE NO IDEA the primary tank has emptied unless you check it several times a day to verify the indicator

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper02 View Post
    When you set the regulator toward a tank that tank becomes the PRIMARY feed. If both tank valves are OPEN then when the Primary tank is depleted the indicator will turn RED and the regulator will now switch to the other tank.. The indicator will stay RED until you turn it to the tank that is now feeding the regulator

I run mine with one secondary tank valve closed. When that primary tank is empty I KNOW that I still have one full tank to use

Running with both tanks open you HAVE NO IDEA the primary tank has emptied unless you check it several times a day to verify the indicator
    OTOH, you don't wake up to a cold trailer in the morning or wake up in the middle of the night to no heat. They always seem to pick the most inopportune times to run dry. We've used the automatic switchover for over 15 years with no issues. We don't usually stay where it's very cold either though, so that does make a difference. Checking every few days works for us, and only takes a second to open the door and look.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    OTOH, you don't wake up to a cold trailer in the morning or wake up in the middle of the night to no heat. They always seem to pick the most inopportune times to run dry. We've used the automatic switchover for over 15 years with no issues. We don't usually stay where it's very cold either though, so that does make a difference. Checking every few days works for us, and only takes a second to open the door and look.
    Yep, a bottle lasts days for us so a check in the morning or afternoon was always a winner for us. The gas stop valves we had tell you right away if the tank is empty without thumping or the hot water trick. Selfish plug-the valves are up for sale in the for sale forum.
    Randy and Kris

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the valve is pointed in the middle (ie not at either tank), then both tanks are feeding at the same time, and drawing down near equally. At least that's how mine seems to work.

If it's pointing to one, it works like Viper02 says.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    If the valve is pointed in the middle (ie not at either tank), then both tanks are feeding at the same time, and drawing down near equally. At least that's how mine seems to work.

If it's pointing to one, it works like Viper02 says.

Mike
    As a full-timer, I want one tank to empty before drawing inn the other one. That way I can remove the empty tank and get it refilled without cutting propane to the coach.

I started off with the lever pointed to the left tank, when that one emptied, I moved the lever to the right tank, removed the left tank and got it filled. When I put it back in, I left the lever on the right tank until that one was empty. I pulled the right tank and moved the lever to the left tank, got the right tank filled and put it back in. Repeat the process, works well for me.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even not full timing, that's what I want as well. Draw down one, then it will auto failover to the other one and when that happens (ie the gauge is red), turn the valve to the current fill tank, disconnect the empty and fill er up.

Lather, rinse, repeat...
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I got from GD, which makes no sense:

Thank you for contacting Grand Design customer support. The valve is an automatic change over valve, correct.

The handle allows you to pick a primary tank to pull from, so if left in the middle, the sight glass is not reading the tank pressure at each tank.

If begin to turn the handle to either the right or left tank, the valve will pull from the primary tank until pressure is lost, then switch to pulling from the secondary tank.

Regards
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    2022 F150 Platinum 1777# Payload
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    This is what I got from GD, which makes no sense:

Thank you for contacting Grand Design customer support. The valve is an automatic change over valve, correct.

The handle allows you to pick a primary tank to pull from, so if left in the middle, the sight glass is not reading the tank pressure at each tank.

If begin to turn the handle to either the right or left tank, the valve will pull from the primary tank until pressure is lost, then switch to pulling from the secondary tank.

Regards
    Looks pretty straight forward to me, that's a decent explanation of how it works. Although there should be an arrow that will point to the tank being used. The arrow on ours is on the large part of the handle.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast