User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advice thanks for posting. I can handle that much hitch weight so I will remain cognizant of this and I bought a hitch scale to help my loading

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jv112602 View Post
    Great advice thanks for posting. I can handle that much hitch weight so I will remain cognizant of this and I bought a hitch scale to help my loading
    I thought about getting a scale, but a few trips to a nearby truck stop and use of their scales was cheap, and then I knew both the total trailer weight and the tongue weight. For experimenting in the driveway, one can use a bathroom scale - requires some scrap materials (wood, maybe a pipe) to rig up, but is surprisingly accurate. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx
    Once I got it dialed in, I haven't had a need to check again. We don't vary much in what we load into the trailer, whether for just a weekend, or for a 3 month trip. At least not enough to worry about weighing the tongue again.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I thought about getting a scale, but a few trips to a nearby truck stop and use of their scales was cheap, and then I knew both the total trailer weight and the tongue weight. For experimenting in the driveway, one can use a bathroom scale - requires some scrap materials (wood, maybe a pipe) to rig up, but is surprisingly accurate. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx
    Once I got it dialed in, I haven't had a need to check again. We don't vary much in what we load into the trailer, whether for just a weekend, or for a 3 month trip. At least not enough to worry about weighing the tongue again.
    Interesting. I didn't think a bathroom scale could handle 700#+.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    This is the point where geometry is your friend.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Look it up online, I dont recall the specifics, you dont directly place the tongue jack on the scale.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    This is the point where geometry is your friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Look it up online, I dont recall the specifics, you dont directly place the tongue jack on the scale.
    Haha! Well paint me green and call me a pickle! I never saw that before. Very cool!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the same setup using a Ram 1500 and a 2022 2670mk. Everything about tongue weight I've read is true. I would like to add 2 things we found very helpful while towing. First, empty the hot water tank before you travel. That's an extra 48 lbs at the tail end of your trailer contributing to trailer sway. Second, install Sumo Springs on the trailer and tow vehicle. Not only do the Sumos help with trailer sway, they also help with trailer bounce on the road. Easy to install yourself. Happy traveling!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rule of thumb is that you shouldn't exceed 80 percent of whatever your towing and cargo weight ratings are. They call it the 80/20 rule and it says "The 80/20 towing rule is a safety measure many RVers follow. Basically, the rule states that you shouldn't tow above 80% of your max towing capacity. This gives room for human error in calculations. It also protects the life of your vehicle by not pushing it to the max every time you tow your trailer."
    Jeri, Honey & Char
    2019 GD Momentum 376th
    2022 Ford F350 Crewcab 4WD SRW Diesel Longbed

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeririgged223 View Post
    Rule of thumb is that you shouldn't exceed 80 percent of whatever your towing and cargo weight ratings are. They call it the 80/20 rule and it says "The 80/20 towing rule is a safety measure many RVers follow. Basically, the rule states that you shouldn't tow above 80% of your max towing capacity. This gives room for human error in calculations. It also protects the life of your vehicle by not pushing it to the max every time you tow your trailer."
    This eliminates almost 95 percent of 3/4 ton members on here and 50 plus percent of the 1 ton members
    The “80/20 rule” is just an internet thing
    There is no rule
    The only one to make such a rule would be the government or the manufacturers and neither have
    YMMV
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    This eliminates almost 95 percent of 3/4 ton members on here and 50 plus percent of the 1 ton members
    The “80/20 rule” is just an internet thing
    There is no rule
    The only one to make such a rule would be the government or the manufacturers and neither have
    YMMV
    The great part about rules, guidelines, mfr limits, etc is you are free to ignore them at your own peril and risk.
    No sense letting common sense ruin your fun
    But sadly when you do so you risk others lives too.

The tow limit on a Corvette is said to be 2000 lbs, but given that is about 50% of the weight of the vehicle, I think common sense would dictate that just because it says you can doesn't mean that you should.
    Last edited by jeririgged223; 12-01-2022 at 09:51 AM.
    Jeri, Honey & Char
    2019 GD Momentum 376th
    2022 Ford F350 Crewcab 4WD SRW Diesel Longbed

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast