User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Imagine 2670MK

I just have one more week before I pick up my new Imagine 2670Mk and thought I would get a head start. I did some early research in this group before I bought and found it very helpful.

The only question I never saw a definitive answer to was towing a 2670Mk with a RAM 1500 and I soon came to realize there isn’t one, some say it’s fine, some not. Numbers may all work but it may come down to packing, driver comfort, and driving conditions. So I will try with my existing RAM 1500 where I am sure based on actual weights I have enough payload and towing ability and see if I am comfortable.

My dog and I will be living full time in it up from our 19’ GeoPro. Advice is always welcome for living or towing a grand design.
    Thanks
    Jay

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rear kitchen trailers are terrible towables
    They need a lot of tongue weight to compensate for the rear heaviness
    Your tongue weight should be 1000 lbs plus.
    What does the payload sticker on your Ram say?
    Most I sold were in the 1200-1300 lb range
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    FWIW, I don't have an issue with our rear kitchen. 12% on the tongue wasn't difficult to achieve either. My problem was payload on my '04 and serious lack of power for headwinds and hills. Didn't have problems with sway although I can feel it back there. It was strictly an issue of power and the fact that we turned out to be 200# overweight without carrying much of anything we wanted for 3 months snow-birding in FL last year. That won't be a problem going forward. ...but I suppose this can be different with each model...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I weighed my truck with my dog and I, all my gear and full tank of gas and still have 1100 lb left on my sticker GVWR of 7100lbs so you’re saying I just make sure I’m heavy on the tongue to help things - that I can try.
    Appreciate the heads-up.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jv112602 View Post
    I weighed my truck with my dog and I, all my gear and full tank of gas and still have 1100 lb left on my sticker GVWR of 7100lbs so you’re saying I just make sure I’m heavy on the tongue to help things - that I can try.
    Appreciate the heads-up.
    10% - 15% of trailer weight should be on the tongue...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jv112602 View Post
    I just have one more week before I pick up my new Imagine 2670Mk and thought I would get a head start. I did some early research in this group before I bought and found it very helpful.

The only question I never saw a definitive answer to was towing a 2670Mk with a RAM 1500 and I soon came to realize there isn’t one, some say it’s fine, some not. Numbers may all work but it may come down to packing, driver comfort, and driving conditions. So I will try with my existing RAM 1500 where I am sure based on actual weights I have enough payload and towing ability and see if I am comfortable.

My dog and I will be living full time in it up from our 19’ GeoPro. Advice is always welcome for living or towing a grand design.
    Thanks
    Jay
    Welcome to the forum, a lot of good advice is available here. Hope you enjoy your new Imagine. A lot of the decision on what to tow with comes down to how you're planning to use your coach. For short trips, it may be OK to be close to the weight limit. For longer trips, windy days, and the mountains, a larger truck will be worth it in the long run. Sounds like you'll be in the coach a lot, it sure will feel more spacious than your old GeoPro!
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Jay, Ram 1500 with 1304 lbs payload and Imagine 2670MK was my first combination. I had to watch my tongue weights carefully as I did not have a lot of wriggle room. Because the primary storage in the trailer was behind the axles, achieving the target tongue weight was a little tricky. I resorted to packing the area between the island and the bathroom with bins of dry goods and luggage to get it just right. I was able to tow comfortably with about 940-980 lbs on the tongue after weight distribution. I also chose the ProPride hitch as my weight distribution hitch for it's superior adjustability and sway control. Safe travels, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I had a 2017 RAM 1500 Laramie with my 2018 2670MK. Granted we’re new to this, but it was waaaay too much sway for us to be comfortable driving it more than 60mph. We traded that in for a 2017 Sierra 2500 and it’s been fantastic.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhoward View Post
    My wife and I had a 2017 RAM 1500 Laramie with my 2018 2670MK. Granted we’re new to this, but it was waaaay too much sway for us to be comfortable driving it more than 60mph. We traded that in for a 2017 Sierra 2500 and it’s been fantastic.
    Curious, do you know what your tongue weight (%) was?
    Chad

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My 2670MK (2017 model) was WAY too light on the tongue. Even with full water, I was only at 10.5%, and got sway. Only solution was the ProPride hitch. With that, and now 2 6v batteries on the tongue, I'm at about 12%. 925-950 lbs. depending on the trip.
    True sway happens only if there is not enough tongue weight, as a per cent of total trailer weight. 12-13% is a good range. Move/add weight to the front, or get a very heavy/expensive hitch that prevents it. Or both. Many call things like truck suck when being passed by a semi, or wind pushes, as "sway". They aren't - they are one and done (until the next time). Tow vehicle weight, tires, tongue weight, trailer attitude, suspensions, and more can all factor in to how well/poorly a rig reacts to those events. True sway starts as a side-to-side wag of the tail, and can VERY quickly build to where the trailer throws the combination off the road. It may happen on its own, or get started due to wind, truck suck, bump in the road, etc. The only way to stop it is to slow down - and NOT use the truck brakes, just the trailer brakes. A bigger/beefier vehicle may very well correct problems with the one time events. But it won't help with real sway, if the setup is conducive to it.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast