User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majormaxie View Post
    I agree, really want a new diesel (maybe gas) HD -- but yet another issue: supply of HD trucks! FCA has issued a STOP on all 2022 & most 23s on their lots due to a recall issue. Dealers are not happy. 23s that are in transit are AOK, but, they're in transit. 3-4 weeks away. GMC still has dated interior (akin to my 2002 Sierra 2500 SLT). So looking again at F250/350 -- I had to lemon-law my 2017 F250 FX4 SD diesel (6months after purchase).

RVing is NOT for the feint of heart. LoL
    I'm about to have a 23 Silverado 3500 DRW for sale, ~5300lbs payload capacity. Hopefully within the month it will be available; I have a 23 F450 on order, went into production on 4/15.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're about to pick up our 2670MK next week, and drive it the 1,000 miles back home with our 1500 V8 6.3L with a towing package. If that monster can't drive it well, then no ½ ton will.

We're expecting we'll get home fine, but I suspect I'll be planning for a 2500 when I get there.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodScout View Post
    We're about to pick up our 2670MK next week, and drive it the 1,000 miles back home with our 1500 V8 6.3L with a towing package. If that monster can't drive it well, then no ½ ton will.

We're expecting we'll get home fine, but I suspect I'll be planning for a 2500 when I get there.
    It has nothing to do with power. Even little v6 engines have as much power as big V8s. It is the carrying capacity that causes concern.
    The more optioned the truck the heavier they are and the less they can carry

Curious as to what your available payload is
    Have you weighed your truck with all the people,animals and gear to camp?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've run all the calcs and included the weight of our gear, ourselves, fuel, limited water, etc. It allows us 500 pounds to spare, but I suspect I'm going to feel after driving it that I'd rater have too much truck than just barely enough.

My other debate will be gas vs. diesel. I don't like diesel, but hard to argue with the fact that the 2500 Diesels have much more towing capacity than the gas version.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've run all the calcs and included the weight of our gear, ourselves, fuel, limited water, etc. It allows us 500 pounds to spare, but I suspect I'm going to feel after driving it that I'd rater have too much truck than just barely enough.

My other debate will be gas vs. diesel. I don't like diesel, but hard to argue with the fact that the 2500 Diesels have much more towing capacity than the gas version.
    What did you use though to calculate tongue weight to leave 500 lbs?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most sensible track for us was to pursue the RV we liked the most (2670MK) - which we purchased yesterday. Then follow up with two things to help with weight distribution & sway:

1. Purchase the ProPride 3P system -- after looking at this & other threads, I see the value, albeit costly -- safety for my family & others is #1 . Also, great talking to Brent (Director of Sales & Customer Service) at ProPride, who also owns a similar TV as ours.

2. To preload the RV (& TV), and go to the scales to verify all weights (TW, TW+RV, tongue weight).

The issue to me is the following. Sway can occur no matter which TW is in use, so the PP3P can be used on our RAM 1500 -- or future TWs. The RAM1500, per FCA, is more than capable to deal with the 2670 loaded weight (by a factor >200%). Towing power should be no issue (TBD in the real world.) Finally, payload expected is 400lbs below cited capacity.

Thanks to everyone who provided us their feedback!!
    Much appreciated. And yes, I agree with responses that indicate measurement is the true means to verify the print.

After looking at 2023 HD Trucks and reading a significant number of RAM 1500 hemi (and F150EB) experiences with mountain towing, this path seems reasonable with us.

Of course, we do plan to do a few "trail" runs through local mountains (Mt Dora? LoL) Will follow up with what we experience as we do have a journey planned, FL -to- MT/Alberta, which I did with a GMC 2500 Duramax & 30ft 5er in 2002.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jv112602 View Post
    I just have one more week before I pick up my new Imagine 2670Mk and thought I would get a head start. I did some early research in this group before I bought and found it very helpful.

The only question I never saw a definitive answer to was towing a 2670Mk with a RAM 1500 and I soon came to realize there isn’t one, some say it’s fine, some not. Numbers may all work but it may come down to packing, driver comfort, and driving conditions. So I will try with my existing RAM 1500 where I am sure based on actual weights I have enough payload and towing ability and see if I am comfortable.

My dog and I will be living full time in it up from our 19’ GeoPro. Advice is always welcome for living or towing a grand design.
    Thanks
    Jay
    Perfect! -- you are a year ahead of us as we just purchased a 2023 2670MK and plan to tow with our RAM 1500 (hemi, 3.92) -- how has your experience been? I will say, we ordered a ProPride 3P hitch system to anticipate sway issues & eliminate such. Thx in advance....

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Febuary of this year we purchased an Imagine 2670MK, so I thought I'd chime in here. We just got back from our first camping trip and we only had a two minor issues with the trailer. We tow it with a RAM 2500 CTD and use a Hensley Arrow (very similar to the Propride) hitch. So far we've towed it just over 400 miles (340 miles we were empty) and we've had absolutly no issues at all. I agree that rear kitchen trailers can be problematic to tow especially if not not loaded correctly. Even when using a Hensley and Propride hitch you should make that the load is distributed properly, not only front to back, but right to left as well. That is why it is important to get it and tow vehicle weighed once its loaded. Unfortunately there are no scales that I am aware of near me that will weigh an RV, so I weighed everything individually that we loaded before our last trip. I did weigh the tongue before we left (with the hitch) and it weighed just under a 1000lbs (my payload is 2450lbs). Having said all that I will take it to scales on our next trip. In my opinion, if the trailer is within the specs of your truck you should be okay, but don't forget to include the weight of the passengers and gear that is loaded into the truck.

As far

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the TT will be for the most part empty you should have no problems. Battery and some propane on the tongue will probably get you in the 780 lb range. UVW will be a little over 7000 lbs. That's doable with almost all 1/2 tons. It's when you get another 1000 lbs loaded into it and the tongue weights at or over 1000 lbs that things start to get concerning. The 32' will also show up if it gets windy.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majormaxie View Post
    The most sensible track for us was to pursue the RV we liked the most (2670MK) - which we purchased yesterday. Then follow up with two things to help with weight distribution & sway:

1. Purchase the ProPride 3P system -- after looking at this & other threads, I see the value, albeit costly -- safety for my family & others is #1 . Also, great talking to Brent (Director of Sales & Customer Service) at ProPride, who also owns a similar TV as ours.

2. To preload the RV (& TV), and go to the scales to verify all weights (TW, TW+RV, tongue weight).

The issue to me is the following. Sway can occur no matter which TW is in use, so the PP3P can be used on our RAM 1500 -- or future TWs. The RAM1500, per FCA, is more than capable to deal with the 2670 loaded weight (by a factor >200%). Towing power should be no issue (TBD in the real world.) Finally, payload expected is 400lbs below cited capacity.

Thanks to everyone who provided us their feedback!!
    Much appreciated. And yes, I agree with responses that indicate measurement is the true means to verify the print.

After looking at 2023 HD Trucks and reading a significant number of RAM 1500 hemi (and F150EB) experiences with mountain towing, this path seems reasonable with us.

Of course, we do plan to do a few "trail" runs through local mountains (Mt Dora? LoL) Will follow up with what we experience as we do have a journey planned, FL -to- MT/Alberta, which I did with a GMC 2500 Duramax & 30ft 5er in 2002.
    Maybe you can make it work but after towing my 2670 a few hundred miles with a 3/4T truck, I can't imagine towing it with a half-ton. That said, I didn't already have a truck when I bought the camper.
    2023 Reflection 297RSTS
    2020 F-250 Power Stroke

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567