User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeririgged223 View Post
    The great part about rules, guidelines, mfr limits, etc is you are free to ignore them at your own peril and risk.
    No sense letting common sense ruin your fun
    But sadly when you do so you risk others lives too.

The tow limit on a Corvette is said to be 2000 lbs, but given that is about 50% of the weight of the vehicle, I think common sense would dictate that just because it says you can doesn't mean that you should.
    So true. I have a Buick Encore in which the manual states that tow hitch of any size should not be installed, the vehicle is not meant for towing. Does that stop anyone? Nope. If someone makes a hitch that will fit and they need to tow something, on it goes. I can't imagine towing anything with my little Encore and feeling comfortable doing it.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rule of thumb is that you shouldn't exceed 80 percent of whatever your towing and cargo weight ratings are. They call it the 80/20 rule and it says "The 80/20 towing rule is a safety measure many RVers follow. Basically, the rule states that you shouldn't tow above 80% of your max towing capacity. This gives room for human error in calculations. It also protects the life of your vehicle by not pushing it to the max every time you tow your trailer."
    Just curious where you first heard this. And I doubt very much that many RV'ers follow it. In fact I'd warrant that most RV'ers have never heard of it.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The great part about rules, guidelines, mfr limits, etc is you are free to ignore them at your own peril and risk.
    No sense letting common sense ruin your fun
    But sadly when you do so you risk others lives too.

The tow limit on a Corvette is said to be 2000 lbs, but given that is about 50% of the weight of the vehicle, I think common sense would dictate that just because it says you can doesn't mean that you should.
    Almost everyone pulling with. 3/4 ton diesel is at max or over payload and it is very widely accepted on this forum and many others
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Almost everyone pulling with. 3/4 ton diesel is at max or over payload and it is very widely accepted on this forum and many others
    Very true, but if you tow at max with a 1/2 ton everyone says your going to kill yourself and others. 1/2 tons truck are a lot better now then they were 10 or 15 years ago. There is a lot of weight police out there that have never driven a newer 1/2 ton or towed anything with one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello to All! Newbies here who were wondering also whether we bought enough truck for our Reflection TT 315RLTS. We bought the truck and the trailer in the same week. After tons of research and wondering if we should trade up our new Ram 2500 Laramie; we purchased an item called Better Weigh by Curt for approximately $89 on Amazon that along with an app shows you real time payload, tongue, pin weight and trailer weight are. We haven't installed or used it yet but felt it might be a great small investment especially in light of the fact that we are all only guessing how much we are packing and pulling in a loaded trailer.

Best of luck to you! Congrats on your new trailer!!

Dana
    2022 Reflection TT 315RLTS
    2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Just curious where you first heard this. And I doubt very much that many RV'ers follow it. In fact I'd warrant that most RV'ers have never heard of it.
    I don't know where it ever came from but remember reading the same thing in Motorhome Life and Trailer Life magazines 30 years ago. That mantra has been around a long time, but no clue where it started.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GDReinekes View Post
    Hello to All! Newbies here who were wondering also whether we bought enough truck for our Reflection TT 315RLTS. We bought the truck and the trailer in the same week. After tons of research and wondering if we should trade up our new Ram 2500 Laramie; we purchased an item called Better Weigh by Curt for approximately $89 on Amazon that along with an app shows you real time payload, tongue, pin weight and trailer weight are. We haven't installed or used it yet but felt it might be a great small investment especially in light of the fact that we are all only guessing how much we are packing and pulling in a loaded trailer.

Best of luck to you! Congrats on your new trailer!!

Dana
    2022 Reflection TT 315RLTS
    2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 SRW
    I don't know how accurate the Better Weigh product is, I've read mixed reviews. For a TT, your money would be better spent on a Sherline scale and going to a CAT scale for truck and trailer weights. The idea is your tounge weight should be 12 - 15% of the trailer's weight. With a TT and a 3/4 truck you are probably fine, but I wouldn't know without seeing the numbers. Typically it's 5th wheels and 3/4 ton trucks that are overloaded.

If you use the search function there are tons of discussions on trailer weights and truck capacity, I don't want to derail this topic too much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20221202_213433_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	44054
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    Welcome Jay, Ram 1500 with 1304 lbs payload and Imagine 2670MK was my first combination. I had to watch my tongue weights carefully as I did not have a lot of wriggle room. Because the primary storage in the trailer was behind the axles, achieving the target tongue weight was a little tricky. I resorted to packing the area between the island and the bathroom with bins of dry goods and luggage to get it just right. I was able to tow comfortably with about 940-980 lbs on the tongue after weight distribution. I also chose the ProPride hitch as my weight distribution hitch for it's superior adjustability and sway control. Safe travels, Frank.
    Hi fmartinmn -- I saw your 1500 answer with the 2670MK, but I also not you have a RAM3500... was this a result of deciding the HD truck was more or less required?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    My 2670MK (2017 model) was WAY too light on the tongue. Even with full water, I was only at 10.5%, and got sway. Only solution was the ProPride hitch. With that, and now 2 6v batteries on the tongue, I'm at about 12%. 925-950 lbs. depending on the trip.
    True sway happens only if there is not enough tongue weight, as a per cent of total trailer weight. 12-13% is a good range. Move/add weight to the front, or get a very heavy/expensive hitch that prevents it. Or both. Many call things like truck suck when being passed by a semi, or wind pushes, as "sway". They aren't - they are one and done (until the next time). Tow vehicle weight, tires, tongue weight, trailer attitude, suspensions, and more can all factor in to how well/poorly a rig reacts to those events. True sway starts as a side-to-side wag of the tail, and can VERY quickly build to where the trailer throws the combination off the road. It may happen on its own, or get started due to wind, truck suck, bump in the road, etc. The only way to stop it is to slow down - and NOT use the truck brakes, just the trailer brakes. A bigger/beefier vehicle may very well correct problems with the one time events. But it won't help with real sway, if the setup is conducive to it.
    Great info! Thank you! I have been wondering if a ProPride was part of my solution (towing a 2670MK with a RAM1500) - - it seems it may very well be! Trying to fin there who towed the MK with 1/2T trucks (they differ -- but braking & sway (regardless of equalizer E4's presence) to be my concerns.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majormaxie View Post
    Great info! Thank you! I have been wondering if a ProPride was part of my solution (towing a 2670MK with a RAM1500) - - it seems it may very well be! Trying to fin there who towed the MK with 1/2T trucks (they differ -- but braking & sway (regardless of equalizer E4's presence) to be my concerns.
    A propride is a bandaid for a poor towing setup

A 2670 mk is too big for your truck

You will be overloaded
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast