Thread: GPS choice

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GPS choice

Greetings,
    We have been looking at the Garmin RV780 and the Dezl 700OTR. Wondering if anyone is using one or the other and would care to share their thoughts/suggestions?
    Thanks!
    "Smacker"
    2022 Chevrolet 2500HD Silverado Custom
    2022 Transcend Xplor 221RB

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a truck/RV oriented GPS in the past and was dissatisfied with it. I plan almost all trips of any distance in Basecamp, and then transfer them to the Garmin GPS. The truck/RV GPS would change the route and avoid any "Trucks Not Allowed" roads/streets that were on the route. It also would avoid any non-truck streets/roads during normal GPS usage. Very annoying. The new ones may work differently/better, but be sure to check first.

On Edit: I'm now using the Garmin Nuvi 2539, both in the truck and on the bike. Pretty happy with it.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 11-24-2022 at 08:05 AM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been thrilled with the 890. Great deal at technorv
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Garmin RV770 and am very happy with it. You go into settings to tell it what vehicle you are using and it will route accordingly. I load routes from basecamp and it usually does a good job of routing, like any gps though, you need to review your route to be sure it is what you want it to be.

One funny thing it does at, times I will be turning into the driveway of a campground and it will give me a warning of “RV Access unknown”.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    I have a Garmin RV770 and am very happy with it. You go into settings to tell it what vehicle you are using and it will route accordingly. I load routes from basecamp and it usually does a good job of routing, like any gps though, you need to review your route to be sure it is what you want it to be.

One funny thing it does at, times I will be turning into the driveway of a campground and it will give me a warning of “RV Access unknown”.
    One funny thing it does at, times I will be turning into the driveway of a campground and it will give me a warning of “RV Access unknown”

It does that because you are turning onto a private road. We like our 770 except for the ability or lack thereof to get real road condition updates. It must be paired to a phone. Has not worked well for us. Could be me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Garmin RV 780 Great unit .
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor
    MORryde pinbox
    2007 GMC Topkick C5500 Duramax 6.6
    1 Wife 3 Scotties

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garmin RV890, happy with it. Not perfect, but none are. Twice it sent me up to a u-turn rather than just take a left. (And that's twice in approx 5,000 miles.) But since I could see it with my own eyes, I avoided the mistake. Otherwise, really like it. One great thing about it is that on the device you can modify the route if you don't want the suggested route. You just point with your finger the route you want to take and it updates. I use this alot to go around cities or take a specific road that I'm interested in. I always plan routes with RV Trip Wizard, then enter the same route on the GPS. I know you can "load" the Trip Wizard route to the GPS directly, but I haven't figured that out yet and it's pretty quick to do it manually. I don't know what the differences are between the 780 vs 890 but I would guess you'll be happy with either.
    Last edited by Riverbug; 11-25-2022 at 07:59 AM.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    We like our 770 except for the ability or lack thereof to get real road condition updates. It must be paired to a phone. Has not worked well for us. Could be me.
    +1 on the 770 Two years now and the worst it has done is route me around a 5 ton wright limit bridge. That's fine but needn't have taken me 30 miles around it. I did find a shorter route on the way back. It's a great little unit.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the RV890. I almost trust mine, but always verify the route and compare to Allstays app for low clearances.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Another vote for the RV890.
    Been looking recently for an RV GPS. The 890 has been discontinued. FYI.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast