User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new solar system design challenges

I have a 2600RB and installing solar. I have 1 200ah Li battery, 4 100w panels on the roof, Renogy Rover solar controller, Renogy 2000w charger/inverter (sending back) , and dc to dc charger. My issue is all the research I've done shows all the AC shore power going through the 2000w charger/inverter. Well, that trips if you turn on the electric water heater or refrigerator or any other higher loads, even if shore power is connected. I was under the impression it passed through all AC power when shore power was connected. I know Victron has one with a true passthrough but that is a larger power one. My question now is, do I have to split up the shore power connections in the house panel? I'm thinking splitting out Water heater, air conditioning, refrigerator, bathroom and kitchen receptacles. I just don't see anyone showing they have done this. This will be a lot of extra work with possible installing another "house panel". Any thoughts? Thanks

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen others, and even GD install an inverter breaker off the main panel and hook it to a sub-panel with all of the inverter loads. When you are running off the battery, turn off breakers from your main panel that you dont want inverted, or wire the inverter so it is only connected to that inverter breaker or sub panel. (Might not be explaining it correctly, but I hope you get the idea). Other option is like you said, get an inverter that has a full pass through capability.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the right way is to run a separate panel for any circuits you want on the inverter. You can't run everything (as you discovered) unless you get a really huge inverter.

So I think this is the right way....
    First - shore power should go directly to the main panel (after any surge protectors, transfer switches, etc.;
    Run a 20 or 30 amp circuit from the main panel to the inverter;
    Run your batteries into the inverter;
    From your inverter run the 120v output to a sub panel;
    In the sub panel is where you relocate the circuits you want to run off of the inverter (as you discovered, you can't pull more than 2000 watts if you have a 2000 watt inverter - even if you think it is a "passthrough"); so just choose most of the campers outlets; that should be sufficient.

No sense in trying to run a water heater, ACs, microwaves, fireplaces, or heaters off of a 2000 watt inverter; that's what they make generators for. Save a few outlets for heaters, skillets, electric appliances for non-inverter outlets. There may be a dishwasher outlet going unused you can use for this "temporary use" appliances; just leave that circuit off the inverter. I moved my unused dishwasher outlet to outside my kitchen island and we use it for an electric heater.

On my rig all my outlets are on inverter and I have the dishwasher outlet and another outlet on the dishwasher circuit we use for those "temporary" appliances. In the bedroom we have an unused circuit for the dryer we use for an electric heater when we use it.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 11-26-2022 at 08:11 AM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Larry, great information. I will add a sub panel for the inverter circuits. Now to figure out where the sub panel will be located.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soverel28 View Post
    Thank you Larry, great information. I will add a sub panel for the inverter circuits. Now to figure out where the sub panel will be located.
    I've got some posts/photos here of what I did. Basically put the inverter in the basement front wall (near the batteries in the front compartment) and put a sub panel on the back wall. Using the back wall was easy and it was close to where my main panel was so I could just pull the circuits from the main and move them over to the sub.

If you search on "kalakamods" (without quotes) you will find my mods and some photos.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I installed my inverter, I swapped some of the loads from one bank to the other. Like others have stated, one bank would not be switched on when the inverter is running.

I ended up swapping the two A/C breakers [bedroom A/C would be off], fireplace, water heater, converter. At this time, I am happy with the results. When I am plugged in, I get full electricity, when I am unplugged, I get everything but what was mentioned. Pretty simple to do. Don't forget the label maker.
    Last edited by Butcher; 11-27-2022 at 02:11 PM.