User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replace Battery with another AGM Battery

I read a lot of folks replace their batteries with a lithium but I would prefer to replace with another lead-acid / AGM battery. My trailer is 2 years old with the stock battery. I think it is running down so I want to prepare to purchase another battery. When I search on this forum, most threads are related to replacing the AGM battery with lithium. Any recommendations on a replacement, better, AGM battery?

Thanks.
    John....
    John and Lori
    2018 XLT 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a huge difference from one to the other. Optimas are low capacity for their size. Enersys and Northstar are the best commonly available. Sam’s Club sells a rebadged East Penn battery that is a good value.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used AGMs in a few RVs. I liked that they were affordable and maintenance free. I always used the Duracell AGMs from Sam's Club.

Maybe think about 2 6 volt batteries in series if you have the room. You will get a few more usable amps that way for a slightly longer run time.

I think Lithium is handy for large amperage requirements and weight considerations. Personally, I switched to Lithium for the weight savings.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Duracell Marine & RV AGM batteries for a number of years now in our boat. I need 3 for the trolling motor and 1 for starting. The last set lasted 8 years but I should have swapped after 6 (did that in 2019 and still going strong). I suggest going with the group 31 to maximize capacity. Then keep them charged up and don't deplete below 50% to ensure longevity - that applies to all lead acid. Good luck!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I've been using Duracell Marine & RV AGM batteries for a number of years now in our boat. I need 3 for the trolling motor and 1 for starting. The last set lasted 8 years but I should have swapped after 6 (did that in 2019 and still going strong). I suggest going with the group 31 to maximize capacity. Then keep them charged up and don't deplete below 50% to ensure longevity - that applies to all lead acid. Good luck!
    Since I do no boondocking I still use lead acid batteries, and have had good luck with the Duracell Marine group 27. These are available for $100 and will last at least 3 years with proper care.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Since I do no boondocking I still use lead acid batteries, and have had good luck with the Duracell Marine group 27. These are available for $100 and will last at least 3 years with proper care.
    Right on! You can go flooded or AGM for lead acid. AGM's are maintenance free which is why I like them. Not sure which you are referring to but whichever works for you, kudos.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When battery shopping, compare the "Reserve Capacity" - more is better. A measure of "how long it will last". Ignore the "CCA" rating - that is only "how much at once", like for turning over an engine. Usually higher CCA means lower RC, and vice versa. Which is where Optima's come up short - they are meant to do both, and don't do either as well as a purpose designed battery.
    Lithium's, and a few others, use "Amp Hours" (Ah) which is a different way to measure "how long". While there are rough formulas for converting Ah to RC and back, they aren't precise, so take it as a rough estimate if converting.

At the risk of GREATLY simplifying: Two Group 31 12v are in the same range capacity as 2 6v golf cart, which are roughly the same as a 100 Ah lithium. Assuming you are kind to the lead-acids, and normally only discharge to about 50%.
    The two 12v give you a backup if one fails. The 2 6v are cheaper. The lithium is much,much lighter but has its own quirks as to cost and care/feeding.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replace Battery with another AGM Battery

Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    When battery shopping, compare the "Reserve Capacity" - more is better. A measure of "how long it will last". Ignore the "CCA" rating - that is only "how much at once", like for turning over an engine. Usually higher CCA means lower RC, and vice versa. Which is where Optima's come up short - they are meant to do both, and don't do either as well as a purpose designed battery.
    Lithium's, and a few others, use "Amp Hours" (Ah) which is a different way to measure "how long". While there are rough formulas for converting Ah to RC and back, they aren't precise, so take it as a rough estimate if converting.

At the risk of GREATLY simplifying: Two Group 31 12v are in the same range capacity as 2 6v golf cart, which are roughly the same as a 100 Ah lithium. Assuming you are kind to the lead-acids, and normally only discharge to about 50%.
    The two 12v give you a backup if one fails. The 2 6v are cheaper. The lithium is much,much lighter but has its own quirks as to cost and care/feeding.
    Excellent points. I will say that the two 6v batteries are a bit more durable simply because the plates are thicker and heavier (3 cells vs 6) but they are very heavy. The 2 300ah lithiums I am putting in weigh the same as my 2 6v batts with a total of 110ah. AGM batteries will charge up just a touch faster than flooded with a bit more flexibility in how and where they are installed.

I will say if the OP did decide to go with Lifepo4, should last several years beyond traditional fla battery and save weight.

I have always been a bit intrigued by AGM but never used them.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC210 View Post
    I read a lot of folks replace their batteries with a lithium but I would prefer to replace with another lead-acid / AGM battery. My trailer is 2 years old with the stock battery. I think it is running down so I want to prepare to purchase another battery. When I search on this forum, most threads are related to replacing the AGM battery with lithium. Any recommendations on a replacement, better, AGM battery?

Thanks.
    John....
    My recommendation is to upgrade to Lithium.

I have outlined my reasons in the post below:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...cid-Batteries?

Good luck and please let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 11-26-2022 at 08:52 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best value I can find in an AGM is the Walmart Everstart Platinum H7. AGM = Deep Cycle

4 year warranty and fits in a standard Group 27 battery box. $169.84

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...ntent=In-store
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast