User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know how to remove false bottom in bathroom vanity?

I thought this might be easy but might be more complicated than I had hoped. Need access to the bedroom heat duct which is under the right side of the vanity base (which is raised). Three screws holding in two trim pieces covering the base - only two sides. Tried to lift it up, but didn't work. Curious if anyone has had to remove theirs?
    Thanks,
    John
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh, I've got the same rig and never considered how the heat duct got into the bedroom.

Any chance you can remove the heat duct register and the, what I am sure is, the flexible duct to get to what you want to do?

My guess on the false bottom of the vanity is that is it stapled in with 1/8" wide by how-ever-long staples. Try prying from one side or end or the other to see if you can pull it loose from the staples. I've seen lots of RV cabinets assembled like this. To put it back just push it down; it generally stays in place from weight.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Gosh, I've got the same rig and never considered how the heat duct got into the bedroom.

Any chance you can remove the heat duct register and the, what I am sure is, the flexible duct to get to what you want to do?

My guess on the false bottom of the vanity is that is it stapled in with 1/8" wide by how-ever-long staples. Try prying from one side or end or the other to see if you can pull it loose from the staples. I've seen lots of RV cabinets assembled like this. To put it back just push it down; it generally stays in place from weight.
    Well, chatting with someone who has a 345GK on another forum, the duct work is installed and then the vanity over the top - lots of staples and false bottom not meant to be taken out. He had the same problem with hot air heating the vanity and interior wall and not coming out the vent. Wound up cutting the vanity floor then installing a piece of new plywood in its place. Picture below is what his looked like. GD only screwed the flange down with one screw on one corner. All the heat came out from between the flange and flooring and into the vanity and interior wall space.

I'm afraid if I pull the register, the flex duct would disconnect from the flange and not sure I could even get enough of an angle to put another screw through the flange even with a drill extension.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bedroom duct.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	43966
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try using some of those plastic spudgers. If you booger up the bottom, it’s easy enough to make up a new one that is screwed in.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    You could try using some of those plastic spudgers. If you booger up the bottom, it’s easy enough to make up a new one that is screwed in.

Bill
    You haven't seen me try to take interior auto trim off with them over the decades. Never comes off in one piece.

Only problem is the base is sandwiched in between 5/8 or 3/4 square trim on top all the way around - have no idea what is underneath holding it up but probably the same. And it appears the trim is stapled and maybe glued to the exterior woodwork of the vanity door frames. Only way to really get at it is pull the vanity or use a jig saw which is what the other chap opted for.

I wouldn't mind doing this but it's still under warranty and I simply can't get the dealer techs to understand what is going on.
    Last edited by ajg617; 11-26-2022 at 04:29 PM.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy canole Batman!
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    I thought this might be easy but might be more complicated than I had hoped. Need access to the bedroom heat duct which is under the right side of the vanity base (which is raised). Three screws holding in two trim pieces covering the base - only two sides. Tried to lift it up, but didn't work. Curious if anyone has had to remove theirs?
    Thanks,
    John
    It might be easier to remove the vanity from the wall, and tip it over, than it would be to remove the false floor of the vanity.

Usually, the fixtures are held in by only a few screws going into the wall and/or floor. Look along the sides near the top and bottom, there also might be a screw or two in the middle because the vanity is long.

Cabinet removal is fairly easy because the installation process is designed to be easy.

Let us know what you find.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    It might be easier to remove the vanity from the wall, and tip it over, than it would be to remove the false floor of the vanity.

Usually, the fixtures are held in by only a few screws going into the wall and/or floor. Look along the sides near the top and bottom, there also might be a screw or two in the middle because the vanity is long.

Cabinet removal is fairly easy because the installation process is designed to be easy.

Let us know what you find.
    I think that is my back-up plan if I wind up doing the work. But I'm still trying to convince the tech and GD that heat inside the vanity isn't normal and they are pulling the bedroom wall for repairs which means they'll have to disconnect the duct at the wall end to do that.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably don't need much more than a utility razor knife to slice up that thin bottom.

I still think I'd just pull off the register in the bedroom and reach in and grab the duct if it comes loose. That's a pretty good size hole. And if it doesn't work then you are just back to "Plan A' - bottom removal.

I dunno know about removing the entire vanity for just the duct. But I can be pretty lazy sometimes (actually more often than that).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Thanks,
    John
    Should be able to access it from the basement. Its right behind the wall.
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast