Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&W Height Setting

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to fifth wheels and camping. We just upgraded our truck to a 2023 GMC 3500 dually 4x4 with the OEM puck system. We just purchased a B&W fifth wheel hitch for the truck and today I put it together and got it installed in the truck. I used the highest hitch setting but am wondering if that is maybe too high for a Momentum 398M which we plan to purchase in the spring. It appears to be too high for our current Sabre fifth wheel, but I'm not sure that using that rig for a gauge is really going to be very accurate.

For those of you with late model GMC or Chevy trucks that are similarly equipped, what height setting are you using for your B&W Companion?

Thanks,
    Clif

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 3500 SRW 4x4 with a Reflection 31MB. I used the middle height setting on the BW OEM puck setup and my rig is almost perfectly level with 7" of clearence between the truck bed rail and the underside of the trailer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UAGX1807.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	43971
    2022 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab Duramax with BW OEM non slide hitch
    2022 Reflection 31MB w custom 7000# axles, dual panhard rods and G rate tires.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just finished a thread exploring the new hitch purchase for my 2500 HD and 303RLS combo. Near the end I put up the gap size at the bed rails for the middle and lower positions on the B&W hitch. And I post the "levelness" measurement at the lower position. Look here:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...advice-request

I am leaving mine on the lower position, for the moment. Just 1/2-inch higher would be perfect. As it is the overall height of the rug is just a bit lower. It is so easy to change that this is not a huge commitment.
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clange View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to fifth wheels and camping. We just upgraded our truck to a 2023 GMC 3500 dually 4x4 with the OEM puck system. We just purchased a B&W fifth wheel hitch for the truck and today I put it together and got it installed in the truck. I used the highest hitch setting but am wondering if that is maybe too high for a Momentum 398M which we plan to purchase in the spring. It appears to be too high for our current Sabre fifth wheel, but I'm not sure that using that rig for a gauge is really going to be very accurate.

For those of you with late model GMC or Chevy trucks that are similarly equipped, what height setting are you using for your B&W Companion?

Thanks,
    Clif
    Welcome aboard! Glad you found us.

You'll know when your rig comes in, you load it, and take it for a trip or two. Then you can adjust it. Murphy's law says that if you readjust it now you will certainly have to do it again when you see YOUR actual set-up.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 23 Silverado dually with the same hitch. I have it currently set at medium, but I don't have my camper yet. We are also getting a 398, as of now, scheduled to be off production line 12/5. I'll try to remember to report back on the height setting.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your truck, your trailer, and how you load them are going to require you to set your hitch up accordingly, what may work for one person with the same rig may not work for you just because of how you load it. Trial and error to find the correct setting is the only way I have seen work reliably.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the replies and the warm welcome; this has been helpful!

FT4NOW - since our setups are going to be so similar, let me know what you learn to save me some trial and error.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Cushions

Hi,

I have a 2021 GMC Crew 3500 SRW with the B&W puck companion slider. I have it set on the lowest height of the three. It is way too high for my 2022 310GK. The Morryde has one more set of holes to raise the hitch on the trailer. Not sure if it's acceptable to use that hole and how close to the bed rails the trailer will end up. It won't be sufficient to level the trailer. I'll have to raise the trailer on it's suspension against my better wishes.

I wanted to add that my comment was based on the configuration before I got the air cushions. I had to add them to increase the shock absorption along with Bilstein shocks. That made a high hitch to ride higher. I keep my speed way down to minimizes bumps and consequences of a high hitch.

Good Luck,
    Alex and Karen
    Last edited by AlexAder; 11-27-2022 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Add explanation
    2022 Solitude 310GK, 8K Axles, Disc, 300 Watt Solar
    200 AH Battle Born in Lock Box, Dreaming About More Batteries and Solar
    2021 GMC Crew, SB, SRW, Air Bags

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @clange Picked up our 398 today, medium height on the hitch worked perfect, left me with about 8" bed rail clearance. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221220_143652.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	44197
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clange View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks,
    Clif
    Hi Clif---congrats.

I have a 2022 GMC AT4 3500 SRW LB and keep mine in the middle holes I think (I would have to check). Works great with the AT4 lift kit and the height of my 303RLS. I also use the puck system with the B&W and love it. I changed out the base to use the puck from my last truck which just had the traditional shank mount. I think I have like 6-7" when my rig is totally level and the camper sits the way I like it. Good luck. The positioning is easy to change and you will know exactly when you get the new camper and test fit it to the truck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck with Reflection 303RLSa.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	44200
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast