Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    The benefits of fasting have been well known long before Facebook
    No offense, but if you search hard enough you can find research and results that will support about any diet. If it works for you that fine, but be sure to state that "It works for me, but YMMV".
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK... before this gets too far off track, let's make sure everyone understands a few things...

While both diseases can share the symptom of high serum glucose levels, Type 1 and type 2 diabetes are two completely different animals. Type 1 (insulin dependent diabetes) - often genetically related - is a condition where something (the person's immune system, a virus, or the like) attacks the islets of Langerhans - the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas - and renders the body incapable of producing its own insulin. Treatment for Type 1 DM is insulin and balancing the diet and caloric needs. In Type 2 DM, the body develops a resistance to insulin which reduces its ability to transport glucose across cell membranes into the cells where it is metabolized. The body is still producing insulin. (BTW, the primary source of energy for the brain in adulthood is glucose, so it is very necessary.) Type 2 diabetes is mainly related to lifestyle choices and develops over time.

So, past a few similarities, it's an apples and oranges situation (no pun intended).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've controlled my type 2 by dropping all dairy, red meat, and processed foods. Sticking to a whole foods plant based diet was my solution. "The China Study" by Thomas Campbell, PHD.
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    2022 F150 Platinum 1777# Payload
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife put us on a Keto diet about 3 years ago.
    She lost 50 lbs, I lost 20.
    Basically no packaged foods, nothing out of a box. No refined sugar. (use Monkfruit as a replacement)
    Almond flour instead of real flour.
    Neither one of us are diabetic so this was a diet change to make sure we didn't become diabetic.
    Our annual physicals have our blood sugar levels in the normal range and excellent "good/bad" cholesterol levels.
    We are both active (Walking, gym, golf, hiking when at home in MT)
    I think this was a great diet lifestyle change for both of us. We do get to "cheat" around the holidays.
    Last edited by Sportsdad60; 11-28-2022 at 07:15 AM.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    No offense, but if you search hard enough you can find research and results that will support about any diet. If it works for you that fine, but be sure to state that "It works for me, but YMMV".
    Please read my first post. I did exactly that
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Please read my first post. I did exactly that
    I apologize, I missed the YMMV.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think anyone needing information on diet/exercise for diabetes would look to a trailer forum for advise. Maybe to incorporate some others regimen into theirs though, or like me to pass the time & for amusement.

As for me at 72 with borderline type 2, high BP (since a teenager), & Prostate cancer, I did change diet a few years back to skinless chicken/turkey, and fish, no red, pork or processed meat (although I will treat myself to an In & Out burger every couple of months). Lots of salad, veggies, also meat substitutes (think Beyond Meat). I do take a Honey Stinger waffle on my bicycle rides for when/if my blood sugar gets to low.
    I do ride 100 to 150 miles a week, hopefully outside, or on a trainer due to weather & do a lot of walking. Have a Bowflex upstairs that I look at a lot & use once or twice a week...maybe.
    My Urologist says don't eat anything that tastes good, & my Oncologist says don't eat anything white except cauliflower.
    It seems to work for me, PSA's are tolerable, BP & BS are normal although I do need a med to help with the BP.

This works for me, & I put this here only for your amusement. I do miss bacon!
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the book "The lies my doctor told me"
    It will wake you up.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Type II for a long time. I now use long lasting insulin (self injected) and have tried to remove all use of sugar for tea, coffee, pop, and avoid high sugar items. even natural ones (oranges, etc)

Salt - or not using salt has been one key item, especially during travels and eating out. When traveling I eat healthy snacks - celery and carrot sticks. Its also important to have candy handy, just in case you get a low spike. I can tell low withe the shakes and high levels by hyper feeling. My problem is sticking to a proper diabetic diet.

If you are diagnosed be sure to get the nutritional help so you can track what foods cause quick spikes and limit them. Keep notes on what you eat so you learn. For me any breads even natural whole grain, hash browns, fries, tater tots (baked OK depending on size). Apples Oranges, dried fruit etc, high salt items, sweet cereals, lets say processed foods. I am now also sensitive to beer/wine/etc and must strictly limit especially before bed.

Its a huge learning curve and as I have aged gotten more sensitive to some food and less to others. I have also become more insulin resistant - meaning higher dosages to control. Being watchful I have kept my A1C near 6

Happy holidays - the worst time of year for a diabetic.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    Read the book "The lies my doctor told me"
    It will wake you up.
    There was a great rise in diabetes after the “food guide” was released ,go figure
    Placing wheat and grains as important food which imo should be avoided

We were always told salt was bad, it isn’t, we need it

I have changed my eating to high fat and using salt more and minimal carbs and have drastically changed my health for the better. Lost a ton of weight and have so much more energy
    Dr Berg is who I follow
    YMMV
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast