User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 5th wheel and wintering in Illinois

Ahoy,

My name is George. My wife, Ronda, and I just picked up our new 376 THS-R about a month ago and absolutely love it. We have been full timing since May 1 in her parents' 1999 Class A. I am grateful for her parents allowing us to borrow it for six months, but I am even more grateful to be out of it and finally in our new home that we ordered from GD in July.

We are both still working full time. Ronda has been working remotely for about 8 years now and will continue even though she has told me I need to quit in about another year or so. I retired from the Navy Reserve in 2008 after 24 years of service and can start drawing when I turn 60, which is in about year and a half.

Our decision to go full time was Ronda's idea while in the middle of a 10-year house remodel. She said, "Can't we just buy a fifth wheel and hit the road?" I said, (expletive) Yeah!" So about 5 or 6 years ago I started researching the idea and stumbled across this forum. What a blessing. We went to a few RV shows and found the floor plan that we both liked and made plans for a purchase down the road. We finally sold our house on April 29 of this year. So, I got to wake up the next day on the morning of my 58th birthday full timing in a campground. Life is good!

I'm so glad I found this forum and Grand Design. Grand Design's construction and this forum is what sold us. I'm nervously excited to see how well our new rig will weather a winter in Illinois.
    George & Ronda
    2023 Momentum 376THS-R
    2020 F450 Platinum

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! The two most important things for us (we often winter where there's real winter) are dual pane windows and a good (not Camco) heated fresh water hose. I also have two extra 30 lb. LP tanks since my wife won't let me schlep a 100# tank to get it refilled (the LP companies won't/can't come on the military installation where we're wintering this year).

Again - welcome and let us know if you have any questions.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum @GNRWhite, hope you enjoy the new 5er. There are many knowledgeable folks here, let us know if you need help.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S